3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Instinctive hunting distance you’ll shoot?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Instinctive hunting distance you’ll shoot?
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
If you shoot purely instinctively and don’t shoot gap how far do you shoot at game?
I wouldn’t shoot over 20 yards unless something made me feel I could make it.
Small game I would stretch that out some.
Was just curious at to what distances you guys comfortably shoot out to purely instinctively hunting?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Instinctive hunting distance you’ll shoot?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »
For me it depends a lot on how much I've been shooting. I do gap sometimes, but once you do it for a while, it kinda just becomes instinctive. I don't consciously measure the gap anymore.

I've had times I was shooting well at 40 and times I wouldn't go past 15. Also depends on the bow setup sometimes .... I'm not shooting a sapling bow 40 yards at anything but a target.

Right now I'm comfortable to about 25 or so, maybe 30.

Best thing IMO is to take a test shot or shots out of the stand .... what's 30yards from THIS stand .... that tree? That one? .... I can Never seem to judge that well.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »
20 yards is my preferred.  In my basement there is a 20 yard "alley" I shoot daily.  I might try 25 yards if the conditions were ideal.

I practice on stumps out to 80 yards (or more) but they have no tendency to move or startle.  One of the best shots I ever made was a red squirrel at 25 yards that would not shut up.  He was running back-and-forth along a fallen tree trunk and I picked him off with my single blunt from a 60# longbow.  Had his tail on my quiver for years until I absent-mindedly set it down near the door and our cat had himself a great time.

I shoot purely instinctive (at least I don't use any conscious gap or such) to 20 yards.  After that I just start to focus on a different impact point that the arrow hopefully eventually hits.  So if I normally focus on a spot centered in the lower 1/4 of a deer's chest at 20 yards I'll be focusing on that tiny spot low in the upper 1/3 of the chest at 25 yards (compensating for an elevated stand as needed - I think about where the arrow would exit).  There is a 3-D bag deer target I keep in the woods beside my barn and practice out to 25 yards on that.  But even so it would have to be one of those "cherubs fluttering and heavens opening" offerings to chance a 25 yards shot.

But I have passed up at 15 yards or closer if it just isn't a good angle or does not "feel" right.  Blocking cover, alerted deer, bad angle, etc.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
I practice out to 20 yards so that is my comfort zone. Could probably shoot to 25 yards by picking a spot a little higher on the deer but conditions would have to be perfect for me to even consider it.
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
Never gave it much thought...??
If it feels right, shoot it!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
I tend to agree with this, but generally if hunting I try to keep it inside 25 yds.  This helps account for in-flight time and animal movement.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
It just depends on my current shot confidence level. Usually 20-25 but more if it feels right. Unlimited for a follow up shot though.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
For under 25 yards and shooting split, the sight picture is familiar and that probably equates to more of an instinctive shot for many.   On longer shots, which takes lots of practice, the arrow is higher is visual and the for many that familiarity is more noticeable.   I shoot in practice with taking a definite note of the position of things without taking my eye off of the mark.  In short order that becomes automatic, but at long shots the mechanics of aiming are a little more relevant.   I like 20 to 30 yards, being a ground only hunter.  I never back up when the shot is under 20 yards, closer is always good if the cover is good.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
Yep, this how I look at it too.    :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
I have always done best limiting my distance to 20 yds. I have been working on 25 yards, but health issues have greatly limited my shooting.
Sam

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
20 and under, 25 if the planets are aligned properly. I learned the hard way as a teenager hitting a Pepsi bottle at 35-40 yards is a lot easier than hitting a deer. Had one take a step just as I let one fly. He wasn't spooked or anything got him right through the gut. Never found him and never took a shot like that again.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
Would prefer 20 yards and under. But I like practice out to 30 yards even with broadheads. I am a ground hunter, no tree stands, anymore. Areas I have hunted out here are somewhat open. Not much foliage in the woods like back East. So that 25-30 yard shot is more likely to happen.

Offline DocWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
I am in the if it feels right let it fly camp. But for deer, it is not going to be much over 20 yards. But no stump or clump of grass, within eye sight is safe.
"A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion."  Unknown

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
Targets, stumps, leaves just about any distance. Animals be it big or small need us to do our part and for me it has to feel right.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
15 yards at an animal.  That's what I'm comfortable with.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
Part of the reason IO never kill deer is that I stink at judging distance.  deer always seem farther away to me but when I pace it off usually they are a lot closer than I know I can hit...
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
25 yards is the distance I shoot every day - and I have good control at this distance in the field. Deer in my area are small I have 4 year old does that commonly run 80# so the target is not huge. I like to shoot deer at 15 yards - and hogs at 10. Bears too I prefer a 10 to 15 yard shot. Other game and larger game shooting a little further is OK. Big deer in WV 25 to 30 yards I am good.
<><
<---------------------<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
A "purely" instinctive shooting may not be concerned with distance.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
Yeah, but an arrow only travels 200 yards or so.  ;-)

The 'ol "distance at which you can hit a gallon milk jug every time with the first attempt" rule-of-thumb.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline yard dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 12:09:00 AM »
I am just getting back into trad.... My limit was about 18 yds with my osage selfbow that I made... Shot a scrub rack buck at 16yds that year !!! Next year, I passed up a surefire Boone and Crocket buck... Biggest buck I have ever seen alive.... I had him at 23 yds., and couldn't chance the shot... watched him walk off... I can still see it in my mind like it was today, but I have never once regretted that decision...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©