3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree saddle?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree saddle?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
Thanks Boone, really appreciate the reply. I've got for lone wolf climbing sticks for public land so I'm all set.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
I bought the back support band with my Kestrel and have never used it.  Personally, I don't think it is necessary but I don't hunt more than about 4 hours at a time anymore.  Check out the saddle hunter website if you haven't already.....you will find everything you need.  

Also, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.  I'm no expert but I do have experience with 3 different saddles and several climbing methods.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
I've been using them for about 10 years now.  I love them.  I started with a Trophyline Neoprene Saddle and have since been using the New Tribe Aero Hunter.  The new Kestrel looks awesome.  Freedom and movement is amazing.  It takes some getting used to but if you give it a chance and work with it they are awesome.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks guys, really appreciate the info and help.

Jasper2, I use a climbing rope with ascender for my climbing belt already and really like it and don't wantto switch. I figured if i was going to use the back support band I would buy the package deal. But i think now i'll just buy the saddle and the tree strap.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
I have since purchased a couple saddles to try out.  I am waiting my second one(different model) to come in.  

My first sit in one was this past weekend and overall, I liked it.  I still have to work out the kinks of the climbing method and the platform, but other than that, walking in carrying less than #15 was super nice!  That included my extra clothing.  

I also tried the wild edge stepp ladders and although they get great reviews, I'll have to try them out a few more times to efficiently learn how to do use them properly before I give a better review on them.  

One my largest concerns is being able to get up to the spot i'm going to hang from without sweating up a storm.  If you have read any of my previous posts about hunting clothes, you will know that sweat is a huge issue for me.  With the saddle, i'm assuming it'll be a lot of the same.  

Right now, I am climbing in to my stand and then getting dressed.  I wont be able to do that with the saddle so I have to work all that out.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
Depending on the saddle, you can add layers to the top easily.  The bottom is a different story and would be nearly impossible in every saddle that I have except maybe the Kestrel because of the leg buckles, but I've not tried it?  Even if it could be done though...it likely wouldn't be entirely safe.

I'm not an extreme sweater like you describe but I pack my outer layers in and put the bibs/pants on before I climb, then pull up the jacket and hang it for use when I cool down or the temp starts to drop.

Just move up this way Daniel, it was 14 degrees the other day, you'll sweat less....I guarantee it.   :D   Seriously though, my best advice is to take it very slow, you'll sweat less and it's much safer that way.   :thumbsup:
Take care,
Jason

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
I’ve tried some saddles and so far the guidos web is my favorite.  Some lone wolf sticks and Good to go. Kestrel sounds cool but I’m set with the web. Definitely a learning curve.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Well I just ordered the Kestrel to give it a try.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
Let us know how it works and how it is to shoot out of for a first time user.
I'm thinking about getting one too.
Tedd

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
It will be awhile, four to six week wait. But I will definitely start practicing with it and after having it a few months will give a write up.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mint:
It will be awhile, four to six week wait. But I will definitely start practicing with it and after having it a few months will give a write up.
Hate to be a bearer of bad news, but I would bet that your time will be closer to 8-12 weeks. I have been following their shipping updates on the saddle hunter page.  Some guys just receive theirs that ordered almost 3 months ago.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
Here’s a bit of odd way to use a saddle.  I’m a ground hunter and so would appear not need a saddle since I’m not in a tree.

I use a screw in anchor or a small ratchet strap about head high on a tree.  I hook up the saddle to the anchor or strap, but instead of facing in toward the tree I swing around with my back to the tree and my feet able to touch the ground with the knees slightly bent.

If I get tired of standing, I sit and put most of my weight on the saddle.  My feet are on the ground and can easily rotate me from side to side to check about 270 degrees around the tree.

It takes about a minute to set up, sometimes less if wear the lower portion of the saddle into the woods.  Very light weight compared to any of the ‘seats’ I know of and much better support—at least for me.  When checking out a new area I often use this approach to find a spot, set up for an hour or two, and move on.

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
I also use my saddles to replace my regular safety harness in areas on private ground where I leave my stands up. I call this setup the harness with benefits!

Allows me to lean way out on the stand or seat and with a couple of strap ameristeps.... I can get all the way around the tree.

I typically use the seat of the stand just like a platform when I can since it keeps me from having to step over the cables or chains.

I feel safer in my saddle than I ever have in any stand/harness combination. The fact that I'm facing the tree most of the time, tied off at all times and my tie in point is in front of me where it belongs gives me confidence that if I did slip, I could self rescue instead of waiting for help....while fighting suspension trauma.
Take care,
Jason

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
Anyone on here running a "sit-drag" DIY rig? Ive been researching and about to give it a try
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by George Vernon:
Here’s a bit of odd way to use a saddle.  I’m a ground hunter and so would appear not need a saddle since I’m not in a tree.

I use a screw in anchor or a small ratchet strap about head high on a tree.  I hook up the saddle to the anchor or strap, but instead of facing in toward the tree I swing around with my back to the tree and my feet able to touch the ground with the knees slightly bent.

If I get tired of standing, I sit and put most of my weight on the saddle.  My feet are on the ground and can easily rotate me from side to side to check about 270 degrees around the tree.

It takes about a minute to set up, sometimes less if wear the lower portion of the saddle into the woods.  Very light weight compared to any of the ‘seats’ I know of and much better support—at least for me.  When checking out a new area I often use this approach to find a spot, set up for an hour or two, and move on.
OMG George, that's brilliant!  I was thinking about getting one and climbing, but I'm a big guy and gravity is not my friend.  I run and gun on the ground too, usually in an ASAT suit, and up to now I've always carried a folding chair. And it's not the most comfortable thing.  Your use of the saddle sounds great for the ground.  I'm going to have to give this hard consideration.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
George, how come you don't use a tether as you normally would with a saddle? I'm trying to visualize what the screw in anchor or ratchet strap does that a tether rope wouldn't?  Are you still using a normal saddle bridge?
Take care,
Jason

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Take care,
Jason

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
Jason,
the tether I have for my saddle is simply a strap with a loop on one end. So to put it on a tree one slides the fastening end that attaches to the saddle through the loop and pulls it tight around the tree.  If I was using it in a way my full weight was in the saddle all the time, that is all I would need.  But as I stand and sit, the tension in the tether I goes up and down.  I found this would loosen the strap and it would slide down the trunk of the tree.  By putting the tether over an anchor, or holding it in place with a small ratchet strap I don’t have to worry about my height adjustment.

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
Chuck,
Don’t over think it.  Just try it.  I think the odds are very good your first reaction is going to be, ‘Wow.  Why haven’t done this before.’  Plus it gets you out of a tree.  Having had the unfortunate experience of taking the gravity express out of a tree when using tree stands, I’ve come to the conclusion if men were meant to be in trees, they would have tails, or could fly.....

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
Anyone on here running a "sit-drag" DIY rig? Ive been researching and about to give it a try
sent you a text.  

I am using a sit drag.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©