3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Game animals that don’t know they are hit  (Read 1205 times)

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
Game animals that don’t know they are hit
« on: November 18, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
When I first got into archery, I heard a story of guy who shot an caribou with a recurve and it continued feeding then fell over dead without ever knowing it had been hit.  Since then, I’ve heard similar stories from sources I don’t know are reliable. Personally, every animal I’ve shot has reacted to an arrow.  I’m sure this is a rare situation but has anyone personally had this happen?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Game animals that don’t know they are hit
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
I shot a doe with a STOS broadhead from about 15 yards in a treedtand and the arrow was a full pass-through (pierced the heart) and smacked a tree root.  The doe turned and looked at where the arrow had hit a root and then collapsed.  Never took a step.

No reaction to the hit (and it is a nice quiet recurve bow).  

52# Browning Explorer bow and 600 gr arrow with a two-edge broadhead.

But that was the only one that did not instantly kick or bolt from being shot.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:00 AM »
I've shot a pile of game with a bow and arrow and have never had it happen. Always some sort of reaction. I did shoot a buck at 25 yards with a 30-06 chasing a doe that grunted twice after the shot. I shot him again at 50 and had two holes an inch or so apart in the boiler room.  Makes you wonder sometimes.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »
I have shot a few relaxed deer that were gorging on white oak acorns. Those deer were shot with sharp narrow single bevels and long lean three blades. They continued eating as if nothing happened and then fead as a hammer. At least three since 1990
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
I have shot a few relaxed deer that were gorging on white oak acorns. Those deer were shot with sharp narrow single bevels and long lean three blades. They continued eating as if nothing happened and then fead as a hammer. At least three since 1990
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »
I have had at least two dozen animals not react to the shot and just continue what they were doing or walk around a few seconds before falling. A few have even deliberately bedded down and just went to sleep. Looking back for me this looks like it happens less than 10% of the time. Had it happen in the 70s and most recent was about 5 years ago. I do remember first few times it happened I thought I missed.
<><
<--------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »
I've had it happen once. Little buck walking with 4 does. I had a complete pass through with a Magnus I broadhead. He just took a couple more steps, looked around and fell over.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
Not feeding but a doe just stood there looking around until she got wobbly and fell down spooking all the deer around her.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
A couple.   Both kicked, looked around, then went back to feeding.  A sharp arrow thru softer tissue does not hurt like folks think.  Ask folks that somehow got arrows stuck in them.

Online Cobie33

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
In 1993 I shot a buck that was walking very slowly nose to the ground.  The shot was 15 yards using a Snuffer head. Only flinching when the arrow passed through, the buck continued to walk uninterrupted another 10 yards, bedded off the side of the trail, laid his head down and died.  It was surreal. He never knew what happened.
"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
 Albert Pike

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
The closest I ever got was my first deer with my recurve:

She was Walking by and I hit back just bellow the back bone and cut that main artery. She took a couple bounds forward stopped and looked around. Then went wobbly and down she went.
Hope some day to have an experience like the guys above.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Shot a cow elk in Idaho a few years ago.  Complete pass through and no ribs hit.  She took one jump and stop until she fell dead.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
I shot a buck on opener of rifle here in Oklahoma that had that reaction. He was cruising at a steady pace and the arrow went right through him while he trotted. He never stopped just trotted about 30 yards, looked back, then fell over.

That was back when I shot a lot of poundage I think the arrow was around 650 grains out of a 70lb bow with a muzzy phantom ss broadhead (now discontinued)

I've lost count of how many deer I've had take a few nervous bounds and then go about their business more skittishly. Since I've been shooting less and less draw weight I've had fewer full passthroughs so the deer have been running off like a bat out of hell but still not making it more than a few seconds with a few exceptions.

Online Cobie33

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
In 1993 I shot a buck that was walking very slowly nose to the ground.  The shot was 15 yards using a Snuffer head. Only flinching when the arrow passed through, the buck continued to walk uninterrupted another 10 yards, bedded off the side of the trail, laid his head down and died.  It was surreal. He never knew what happened.
"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
 Albert Pike

Offline WVFarrier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
I shot a doe this year who flinched when my arrow passed through her, she then looked around and walked 11 or 12 steps, wobbled and dropped. I hit her in the top of the heart and severed it in half. She completepy bled out in less than 30 seconds. Craziest thing id seen in quite some time. I spent a few minutes looking for my arrow and walked to her. the puddle of blood was a full 3 feet wide
As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i shall fear no evil, for thou art with me

Offline WVFarrier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
I shot a turkey last year who continued to eat even though it couldnt stand any longer.  just sat down and continued pecking the ground
As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i shall fear no evil, for thou art with me

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
Back in my compound shooting days I shot a mature whitetail doe at 15 yards with a Thunderhead 100. Pass through both lungs. She hopped straight up, took 2 leaps, stopped, turned around with a puzzled look (as if to say "What was that?"), snorted 2 times sounding the alarm, just stood there looking around for maybe 6-7 seconds then fell over dead. The whole time she was standing there looking around I could watch blood pouring out of her at the exit wound. Only one I ever personally witnessed just stand around and not take off.
Mark 1:17

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »
Had it happened once on a doe feeding on acorns.  Only once out of 100+ whitetails
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
I shot an 8 Pt at 7 yards with a Zwicky. He stood there bleeding for about a minute or so. He walked about 5 steps and fell over dead.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
I've had it happen a couple of times. With a perfect lung shot, they stand there chewing acorns or whatever until they taste their own blood, I've seen it appear on their tongues as they lick and taste the unfamiliar taste of death, and within a couple of seconds, they fall, lose consciousness and die. Used to its fullest capability, a bow and arrow is a very effective, virtually painless weapon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©