3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tag soup  (Read 698 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Tag soup
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
Well I think I will probably give up trad after missing two deer. I am almost 71 and it gets harder every year. I love my PLX 48@28 but I might have to sell it and go in another direction if I continue to pursue hunting.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tag soup
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
For me it's the chase, it's nice to get an animal but sometimes just being out in the woods is enough. Ya it can be disappointing but how many never get the chance.

I have a friend that is 78 or 80 and he says seeing them is almost as good. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
You missed 2 deer.......your breaking my heart.   :banghead:   Your seeing deer and getting shots, I haven't seen a deer with a bow in my hand in 2 seasons.   :dunno:   If you can do it physically keep at it, there will be a time when you can't and you will say I wish I still could.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
You can always lower your draw weight by a few pounds.  Lots of deer are taken with #40 bows.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
I had saw 18 the other night, at one time I had 11 within 20 yards, a couple under 5 yards.  I did not shoot, I just sat on my seat and enjoyed the company.  I started out this season with my ribs wrapped and walking with a cane.  Going deer hunting is a health benefit for us older folk. It is a nice day here, time to do my stretches and limber up.  I am going to the woods this afternoon and get some sunshine.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
I missed the same buck twice in one morning this year. It happens. I was frustrated, but just makes me want to try even harder.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
I hear ya
Don't give up though.
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
Never give up , never surrender !!!!!!!!

,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 01:42:00 AM »
I’d just practice more. If you can’t handle 48# anymore drop to 40. Plenty of power with a proper arrow and tuned bow. Sure won’t be any trouble selling your widow or getting new limbs.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 07:16:00 AM »
Ya screw that towell Ranger.....dont quit
Adjust as you must but don't quit
Tim B

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 05:54:00 AM »
If you enjoy being there and trying ,keep at it.Do not make any quick decisions.Do not get rid of any equipment for 6 months,that way you have had time to think and make the best decision or not make a move you wish you had not.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
What terry said ^

stew on it, you have all year.  Everyone makes mistakes when shooting at game.  You will have to figure out if it's something you can work through.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Nocking Point:
If you enjoy being there and trying ,keep at it.Do not make any quick decisions.Do not get rid of any equipment for 6 months,that way you have had time to think and make the best decision or not make a move you wish you had not.
Terry
Exactly. I went through this a couple years ago. I wounded a few deer and ended up selling one of my favorite bows and buying a bow with wheels. I don't believe it's what we hunt with that defines us, it's our mind set and integrity. So ultimately hunt with what you enjoy hunting with the most. If that's a rifle, black powder, trad, or wheels.

That being said, I'm shooting a Pika now. And LOVING IT!!!! Go out there and have fun!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
To add to what has been said.......I go this yearly, not missing but just not seeing deer. Sometimes I feel like I should quit and do something more productive. Then when the season ends I find myself getting ready for next year. I start looking for new spots to hunt......which here in New York is very hard. Going to State land looking for spots to do a ground blind, and stump shooting. Don't make any rash choices.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
I haven't missed a deer in many years, having said that I almost always have one or two tags left just because I'm pretty picky and won't shoot just any deer.  It's all good, as long as you're able to still be out there enjoying the natural world around you.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
This year there was, or still is, a monster in the area.  I hate that, it draws every hunter in the area, they get pushy and territorial and it takes the fun out of it. I got bit by the big antler fever myself.  I saw him three times.  I passed on a pretty good 8 pointer, but now the big deer seem to have moved out, too many people in the area. I have now pledged to shoot anything with meat on it, that is any adult deer. I may not get the chance, we will see.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
Well Ron, at least I'm not the only one.  I'm right there with you.

I haven't even seen a deer yet this year and I've spent more hours on stand than I even care to try to count.

This isn't fun. It's more of a quest. I keep freezing my butt off hour after hour out of pure stubbornness. It's an exercise in endurance.

Of course the problem is that I don't have anyplace decent to hunt.  It just about kills me to read about all this good hunting.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
I've had cameras out on my little place since the middle of September. I guess I've seen about 5 different bucks. A couple are pretty nice but one is a real monster the likes of which I have only seen in person once.

But...my cameras haven't caught a single one of them during daylight...only in the middle of the night.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
At your age, you've earned the right to hunt however you like legally!

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
I'm 20 yrs your junior and also missed two this season. I hope you're not saying I will miss two every year until I'm 71.
Keep at it and Good luck Sir.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©