3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What makes a smooth drawing bow  (Read 357 times)

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
What makes a smooth drawing bow
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
dose the lenght of the riser make a differnce, is it the lenght of the limbs, how about the type of wood used in the bow tell me what goes in to the smoothest drawing bow out there.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What makes a smooth drawing bow
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
All the factors you mentioned contribute to the smothness of the draw.  The riser length in proportion to the total length is a factor in that a long riser and short limbs will cause the bow to stack quickly and abruptly.  Longbows are always going to draw more smoothly as they usually (ideally) gain about 1# 1 1/2# per inch of draw.  Recurves usually (ideally) gain more than 2# per inch drawn, until the tips "unroll" and then for that inch or two it'll gain a little less per inch than it did reaching that point.  

The limb design has the biggest effect.  With a longbow I found the bows that have limbs that taper in the width along the whole limb have a smoother draw.  I haven't noticed it as much with the recurves I build since I always use tapered laminations in my recurves.  With recurves it's the length of the working part of the limb that makes it smooth, the longer the better, but too long can zap speed.  

Wood type in the limbs doesn't have as much impact on how the bow feels with the exception of bamboo.  To me bamboo feels more steady consistant and solid as I draw the bow.  I can tell a bow with bamboo in the core when I draw it.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
Roger, Toby and John at Black Widow Bows
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Friend made a long bow out of iron wood.  Had a chance to draw it last night at a conservation club meeting.  That was a very smooth drawing bow and no finger pinch. It did take him about 25 hours to finish the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©