3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missed one  (Read 503 times)

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
Missed one
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:59:00 AM »
Yesterday afternoon I had my first opportunity to shoot at any game with my longbow. Although I have hunted for 25+ years with a  compound the rush of emotions I felt watching her work into range was nearly uncontrollable. I hadn't felt like that since standing in front of my now wife 12 years ago.

I did just barely miss her but can't honestly say whether or not I was even fully drawn or anchored. All I remember is " meeeh" and watching the beautifully flying arrow go right under her. She made one hop looked around and fed away. By that point a second shot wasn't  happening the way I was shaking.

So even though it was a clean miss not once have I felt disappointment or frustration in it. Only a new found fire for a sport I was losing interest in with all the rifle like bows and accessories available today. So I sit here with my single string and wood arrows this morning cherishing the new feelings I find inside me for the world of traditional bow hunting

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missed one
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »
Better a clean Miss than a bad hit any day.  Its hard to explain your feelings to guys who never had them or haven't experienced them in a  while. Congrats on the opportunity.... heres to many more   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:14:00 AM »
Been there done that this year. Difference is I was/am disappointed as I’ve been in the business long enough to lack discipline. Best wishes on your next attempt.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
I get that way everytime it's a great great feeling !
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
I shot at a doe three times once. Kept ducking, then I thought I would get smart and shoot lower. You guessed it, didn’t duck and went under her. Really bad part was they all had lumenocks. Dang field looked like an airstrip in front of my treestand.
Just hung the bow up and found humor later.

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »
I feel as though it was a successful hunt even with the miss. I got the opportunity at a very close and unsuspecting animal. The arrow flew very straight so I'm sure my tune is good. Bow must be very quiet as she never spooked afterwards. I like that too. It's just a matter of time before another chance comes along. Next time I'll be sure to talk myself through the shot instead of being enamored with actually getting the shot.

Good stuff this traditional side of hunting is.

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
Don’t talk your way through it. Pick a spot,draw,anchor and release. More you think about it the more it will mess with your head.

Online trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
couple of pointers....you probably know to pick a spot..if you don't have a hair or visible spot to aim at I go up the leg to the belly and 6 inches up into the body...make sure the leg is not back .....and the other thing... use an inner voice and say...pick a spot and full draw... practice that not in a hunting situation and I believe it will help put everything together...might help with the shakes to when you are using your inner thoughts to think about what is needed to seal  the deal...

Online trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
use inner voice a lot when i hunt...I don't try and think about too much other than the above two things....works for me...and yes any time you have a deer come to within bow range and you have an opportunity ..that is success....hopefully next time your success goes one step further!!! good luck..you are now addicted to hunting close LOL

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
I've killed a pile of game with a compound and had gotten to the point of auto pilot but that first shot with my longbow brought it to a whole other level of excitement. I knew what I should've been doing but it got lost in the moment. I'll get back to the point of relaxed confidence.

Thanks for the replies and a great place to share my first traditional experience. I have been archery only for a long time now and have made the commitment to be trad only from now till I can't do it any longer. Thanks again

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
I missed two in a row at 10 yards the other day. I got excited because I was so close and failed to pick-a-spot.    :(  

But as you see, it was a great experience. I'm ready for next time!

Glad you can see the positives and be glad for the experience. A lot of sportsman seem to have lost the focus on enjoying the whole experience of hunting. Most these days only care about killing numbers or trophies. And that's a shame because they are missing so much.

I posted my miss story on another forum, and got some great advice from the old guys that have been at it a long time:

"The days you missed an animal cleanly and were able to smile and laugh about it, and say you got close, will be the hunts you remember the best many years from now."

Congrats on your hunt. You are ready for next time, and thanks for sharing it!
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by chris K.:
I shot at a doe three times once. Kept ducking, then I thought I would get smart and shoot lower. You guessed it, didn’t duck and went under her. Really bad part was they all had lumenocks. Dang field looked like an airstrip in front of my treestand.
Just hung the bow up and found humor later.
This made me laugh!  I think we have all had those moments at least I know I have.  The airstrip comment painted a perfect visual though!

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
A few years ago I had a shot at the biggest buck I've ever seen.  I didn't pick a spot - my eyes kept shifting to his rack.  

Its easy to get distracted!

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
I can beat that Robert. I did it TWICE this season but my issue was looking at their eyes in disbelief they didn't see me. Both were probably only 8yd. shots.You guessed it. Right over their backs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©