3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows and arrows in Mexico?  (Read 407 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bows and arrows in Mexico?
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
I’m going to spend a couple of weeks in Mexico in December.  I would like to take a bow and at least one arrow with me in case I get the chance to do a little stumping while I’m down there.  If not actual shooting, I would like to at least keep up a routine I’ve developed with the formaster.  I’m afraid that one arm curls with margaritas won’t be quite enough to keep my strength up.  From what i’ve been able to find out on the internet, there shouldn’t be a problem, but I thought I’d check in case anyone knows anything different.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows and arrows in Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
I've been traveling to Baja for 30 years and here is what I've learned. Strictly enforced a bow and arrow is still considered  a weapon and needs a permit to be legal. In a semi-remote area it's a nothing burger and I keep a low profile and it's a non issue.  A take-down 3 piece and arrows with points removed packed separately....upon inspection no one knows what they are looking at. That being said I never take a favorite bow with me.  Enjoy your trip...Tom.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
to be safe, take along a couple hundred bucks for pay-off, just in case.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
I have no idea what taking a bow to Mexico entails. To be honest I wouldn't risk it. These days with the stupid laws being written and enforced everywhere, it's not worth it.  One can try and rebel against the way things are, but you just end up having to spend a lot of money to get out of a situation you don't need to be in.  And these days, give Mexico the slightest chance to lock up an American and they'll take it.  I'd hate to see a story about you on the news, like that soldier that had a single shot .410 with him and was locked up for so long.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
I wouldn't take any chances down there right now. My mom lives in Cabo San Jose and is a Mexican citizen. There is a war going on down there , and it isn't just behind t scene anymore.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
POLICE MAKE THEIR OWN RULES  depending on the situation
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
I hear the message you all are sending.  I've taken my bow and arrows into Canada without worry, and have frequently found campgrounds that were secluded enough that I could wander off into the woods and shoot a few pinecones.  

However, despite the fact that from all I can discover, the rules regarding bows in Canada and Mexico are the same, I don't think la policía in Mexico always play by the rules.  I don't think I could take my bow and arrows into Mexico without worrying about it, and if I’m going there on vacation, why create something to worry about?  I wouldn't feel the same worry if I were going there to hunt with a Mexican guide, because I think they know how to handle those things.  I read someplace that even if you speak fluent Spanish (which I do) you should let your Mexican guide handle the paperwork for you.

So instead, I just ordered a Saunders Power Pull, which will keep me in shape as well as my daily bow exercise would (I hope).  I would have rather had a Bow Trainer because it would seem more like pulling a bow, but I can't store something 36” long in my luggage.  

I had hoped to bring a bow I could shoot at an archery club I found on the internet in Oaxaca.  I will probably go by there anyway, and maybe I can scrounge up a bow I can shoot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 12:32:00 AM »
The TRX suspension training system was developed by a former Navy Seal, it has the benefit of go anywhere and start your workout within minutes. You can buy the suspension strap and take it with you.  My son uses it at his studio. If you would like to listen to a video by the founder here is a link. The kits are available on Amxxxn.   http://resultsfitnesstraining.com/
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
McDave I agree with others that say the laws are much different than ours and more so now. My wifes cousin married a guy from Mexico and they go down to see his family. They carry a lot of $20 bills for when they are stopped and checked. Not that they are hiding anything he just knows the ropes. I used to go down to Cozumel to Scuba Dive quite often. As beautiful as the diving is there I am thru. No more Mexico for me.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Sounds like a wise plan, McDave. We'll be going down in february, but no way I'm bringing my bow.
Was there a couple of years ago, and got to hold an a very old bow-replica or original, I'm not sure - in a "collectibles" shop. from the Huichol region; lashed limbs and fiber wrapped grip. Worthwhile experience, tho I wasn't shooting.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
Been in Oaxaca about a week now, and everything has worked out fine so far.  The Power Pull gives me a good workout on my shoulders and back.  I use it with a Formaster so I get some shot training as well. I wouldn't recommend using the Power Pull for shot training without a Formaster because the bands will slap your arm and it’s probably not very good for the Power Pull either.

The only problem so far is that using it every day hurts my fingers. Not by stressing them, but the bands chafe my fingers. I didn't bring a glove, because I thought the bands were wide enough that I wouldn't need one. What I didn't consider is that the Power Pull is like a REALLY short bow with super Finger Pinch, and it is the finger pinch that chafes my fingers. So on my list of things to do today is to look for some cheap gloves.  Finding work gloves in Oaxaca should be about as easy as finding a plow in San Francisco.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
golf glove
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2wfstlhunting:
golf glove
Good idea!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©