3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feathers and vanes in the same quiver?  (Read 293 times)

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
Feathers and vanes in the same quiver?
« on: November 24, 2017, 06:57:00 AM »
Hello guys. Ive been using a spine calculator from 3 Rivers. Seems to give a nice ball park figure, its dead on when I run the info on my 45# setup through which has perfect flight. My question is if I toggle between generic vanes and 4inch feathers the vanes add 5# of stiffness to the arrows. I know small changes can potentially make a huge difference but that seems extreme. I'm going to be fletching this new batch of arrows with feathers for a 55# but would like to do a couple with vanes. I know some of you talk about keeping an arrow with a vane on it in case of really wet weather. Would it make that much of a difference in flight when the only difference is the fletching? A better question is will the vaned arrow group with the feathers. All I can do is try it and see but thought someone might have experience and could give me a heads up on what to expect.
  Thanks.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feathers and vanes in the same quiver?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
One other thing, I don't use an elevated rest but I do build up the shelf enough to allow for good clearance. I know some say you have to use a rest with vanes to get good clearance but that's not true. Ive used feathers and vanes when I bow hunted many moons ago mostly vanes. Never tried to mix them in the same setup though.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
Slap some vanes on one arrow and test shoot it. Every bow is different. I can shoot wet feathers with no loss of accuracy which undoubtedly has a greater weight effect than the difference between feathers and vanes. I would suspect if your tuning is spot on it won't make a hill of beans difference for you.

I've got my arrows tuned so well that I don't need feathers at all to hit what I'm aiming at. I can slap a big ole Grizzly broadhead up front, completely submerg my feathers in a bucket of water and swish them around, nock it, and it'll shoot true out to 40yds (the farthest that I have tested)...that's good enough for me. I now just use plain ole turkey feathers, I don't treat them for waterproofing or anything, and I hunt when I want to without regards to weather or worrying about my tuning being off.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
Thanks GDPolk, mostly I want a couple to shoot pine cones for practice. I do remember stump shooting to be rough on feathers and I'm cheap as hell.
 My FOC will only be 13% not nearly as high as yours maybe its enough to cover the difference..

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
I also shoot both feathers and vanes off the shelf, both fly great with broadheads and very handy for rainy weather.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©