3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Wrap Questions.......  (Read 256 times)

Offline JNewton

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Wrap Questions.......
« on: November 24, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
Hi, Folks!

I have what I'm hoping isn't a needless question here. I'm going to be fletching up some new aluminum 2216s for my Brackenbury bow.

I have never used arrow wraps before. A compound shooting friend of mine uses them, the reflective white type. My 61 yr. old eyes like the visual aspect of seeing the arrow's flight with the white tape on his carbons. But I wonder about a couple of things......

My arrow's diameter is 11/32", or .34375". My arrow's circumference is 1.080, rounded up a tiny amount. I've found some reflective white wraps in, a length I like, in either 1" wide, or 1.25" width. I would get the wider ones, but was wondering, does a person just allow some "over wrap" with arrow wraps, or cut them narrower? I'd think this might make a sort of "lump" the feathers would have to try to follow over.....    :confused:

Can a person also crest these, probably with Testor's enamels, or markers?

What glue works on wraps? My Duco, which works so good on my wood arrows, doesn't work well on my bare aluminum shafts. I've tried to read up as much as I can, but my computer time has been limited. I'm retired, but ringing a bell at a kettle for the Salvation Army til Christmas, and put in some 10+ hr. days doing that job. So, I've had some limited "SEARCH" time. Will my Duco work on the wrap, or ??? Would really like to stick with stuff I can buy at my local hardware store, if possible. Maybe Gorilla Gel Super Glue? Guess I have some time to experiment before huntin' season rolls around next year.....

Sorry for the long/wordy first post here, and truly appreciate the wisdom I've gotten to read  here, even without asking a question.
Jimmie

A transplanted Okie living in Sandy, OR

OMP Ozark Hunter Longbow 50#

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Wrap Questions.......
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
I order wraps from onestringer.  He has charts on his website for every arrow brand/size made.  That said, I would use the 1.25 and overlap.  There is always a little overlap but I just make sure to line up my fletching jig to miss it; assuming you have push in nocks you can turn.  I use super glue gel or duco and haven't had any problems with feather adhesion.  A mouse pad works very well for rolling the wraps on the shafts.  Good luck.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
Tshooter pretty much says it all.  There's always some overlap.  If you don't want a lot, can trim the 1.25s with a metal straight edge and razor blade.  Arrow wraps stick to just about anything, but it's a good idea to wipe down your aluminum shaft with denatured alcohol before applying the wrap. I've had good luck with Bohning fletch lac.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
I use wraps on all my carbons. I shoot for a little overlap and just line it up between the feathers. But I have glued over the "hump" too with no issues.

My glue of choice is DAP RapidFuse. It's a super glue available at home improvement stores. Dries very fast but not brittle like plain ole cyanoacrylate super glue.

Scrub the shaft with warm water and dish soap, apply the wrap, wipe the wrap clean on my shirt tail, and glue feathers on. Never had one come loose, and its super fast which is great for a guy with one fletching jig.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
I get all my wraps from Onestringer as well. He has sizes for the different diameters of carbons and aluminums. Yes, I crest over them. I have used Bohning cresting paints, Testors Acrylic paints and RC car paints to crest with. I use Saunders NPV glue and Bohning Fletch Tite glue.
 One thing I do after I crest and the paint is dry. I use a foam brush and apply waterbased MinWax Polycrillic clear. That helps to protect the cresting. A thin coat or two is enough.

Offline JNewton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 01:19:00 AM »
Man, Thank You All!!!

Really good info, and truly appreciated help here!
Thank you very much!    :thumbsup:
Jimmie

A transplanted Okie living in Sandy, OR

OMP Ozark Hunter Longbow 50#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©