3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Experience backpack hunters  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Experience backpack hunters
« on: November 25, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I have decided not to put off the spring black bear hunt in Idaho I have been dreaming about anymore. I am planning it for the spring of 2019 which will give me plenty of time to get fit and acquire some gear. The big three bits I need are an ultralight shelter, sleeping bag, and a quality pack. I have decided on the first too but, I have no idea where to start for a pack. It will likely be the most expensive but, easiest to find used. What do you guys recommend for a 5-7 day hunt? What brand and what? External or internal frame. There are just so many choices.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Experience backpack hunters
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Lots of good packs out there. My personal choice for a 5-7 day hunt would be an EXO 5500 but you could probably get by with the 3500.

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Crooked Horn Highcountry extreme.  There’s 1 and 1/2 blacktail in this pack in this picture... atleast 150 lbs of meat.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
Do you guys always use hunter specific packs or will other companies like Kelty work too?

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
Look into the Outdoorsmans Optics hunter or Long range hunter. The frame flexes with your body and is small enough in size to use it like a day pack. I have been using one for 3 years now and I am very happy with it. Packed out 2 meat loads in excess of 100# this year in Colorado. One of them over 4 miles. It strips down in about a minute to a bare frame with a Beavertail bottom and a built in meat securing system.  PM me if you want more info or pics.  And it is made in the U.S.A.

John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jakeemt:
Do you guys always use hunter specific packs or will other companies like Kelty work too?
I don't use hunter specific packs at all. "Hunting packs" are a fairly new market. One of the more well-known brands (Mystery Ranch) is owned/run by Dana Gleason who got started 30-odd (40?) years ago making backpacking and mountaineering packs (and tents as well).

Coming from a backpacking/mountaineering background myself, i was using my mid-size climbing pack (a now-discontinued Jack Wolfskin "Fjell Runner II") as my daily-carry and it is truly awesome.

I've used my primary "big-pack" (a Gregory "Denali Pro") for most of my pack-in hunts.

However, the last 4 years i've returned to using an external frame pack (Cabela's Pack frame with a smallish daypack strapped on) and i really, really like it.

I just looked at Cabela's and the version i have has been replaced by a lighter frame. The frame i have is now used in their "Minimalist Frame" pack (have to buy the pack sack as well - i use a day pack strapped to the frame).

I've not been successful in harvesting game of late, but my pack choice handles some hefty training weights with aplomb.

If you really want a monster-load carrying pack look at Dan McHale's creations. Not a better load-bearing system anywhere. Period.
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
Justaguy,

I would prefer to not carry monster loads lol! Unless it’s a boned out bear. I plan on taking in less than 45lbs of gear not including bow and arrows. I think that is totally doable. I was actually wondering about the hunter carry all by ll bean. Have you every tried a system like that? I figure I could pack all my gear in a dry bag maybe. Tanks for the tips guys.

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
I'll second the Exo Mountain packs.Excellent products and customer service

Offline Xtreme007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
The. Exo mountain gear packs are great.

I 3rd them

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Jakeemt, What shelter & sleeping system did you choose and why? I have no expertise or anything to add to this thread, just curious.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
Well. I am planning on a Hennessy Hammock. Probably the expedition. I am used to hammock camping out of trucks and have used them down to about 25 degrees. I figure a down quilt  to save a little weight and money. There are few companies making quilts. Thanks for all the tips guys!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 03:48:00 AM »
I have a Kifaru, but for the money a Marine Corp surplus ILBE pack is 95 percent of the Kifaru and can usually be picked up less then $50.  And I have to throw a recommendation out for enlightened equipmemt quilts.  The Hennessee is good, but I'd recommemd upgrading the suspension to something lighter.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 05:49:00 AM »
Biathlonman,

Would some sort hog tensile light weight rope be a decent up grade? With the hammock system I have now I shed the straps and use ropes with a truckers hitch as my suspension system. Thanks for the tip on the surplus pack man! That’s just the thing I am looking for.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
I’ve gone through a few brands of packs still searching for my perfect pack. Notice I said my. Packs are like boots. There are a lot of great brands but some fit better than others. And some are definitely built better than others. Right now I’m running a Mystery Ranch and it hauls a heavy load well but I m going to try a Kifaru next. There is another forum that you can find used packs for a great price. Pm me if you have any other questions. Good luck on the hunt!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
You really should try a few out if you can, but I will second Kifaru. I use the Reckoning pack on their hunter frame. It's pricey as all get out if you buy new, but I use it all season long for whitetail here in TX, then take it back to Montana for the big mountains in the fall. The frame will handle tons of weight, more than you can probably carry, and do it very comfortably.

I don't think you can say the same about a military pack (comfortably, I mean).
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Historybuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
I don't think you can beat kifaru.  I could say all ways it's been great for me but mainly the way it carries weight is awesome.  Lots of customer service, and YouTube videos on how to use the packs are really helpful.  You won't regret it

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
I don't care for hunter specific packs. They can work great and are often capable of carrying huge loads. However, the simple and intuitive designs of backpacking packs often make them much more comfortable and lightweight. I really like the Deuter act lite 65=10. It's super light and can easily be used as a daypack after you set up your camp. I used mine on two Idaho hunts for 7 day packs and it was a flawless experience. My son had a hunt specific pack and was less friendly to use and less comfortable. And perhaps most notable is that these backpacking packs are much much less expensive. For $350. you can get a really nice pack from a variety of manufacturers. Osprey and Gregory are also good.

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 11:47:00 PM »
So there is two ways to go. Comfort, which generally comes at the cost of extra weight. Or ultra light.
To my mind nowadays extra weight is the real killer. My 90 litre standard pack is comfortable but it weighs close to 11 lb empty and with a weeks worth of equipment and food I'm carrying 50-55 lb

I have graduated to an ultra lite setup with the 4400 by Hyperlite Mountain gear. It weighs 2.5 lbs and allows me to cut my weight close to 8 lb. Careful choice now and a bit of extra spending on quality lightweight shelters, sleeping bags etc and I have reduced my overall weight to around 35 lb. This makes moving and travel so much easier.  That weight reduction gives you so much more energy towards the end of a day and quicker recovery time as well. Of course the trade off comes when you have those extra lbs of meat to cart home.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
EXO Mountain 3500 or 5500
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline DWinVA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
I’ve used an EXO 3500 for 4 years now and couldn’t be happier. A lot of great used deals on western specific forums.

God Bless.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©