3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety Harness - Suggestions Please  (Read 933 times)

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Safety Harness - Suggestions Please
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
Guys, I have an old API Safety Harness that I really like. It does not have the leg straps though.

I am looking for another safety harness and would like some real user info. One thing it MUST have is RUBBER D Rings for a linemen's belt.

I use a Lone Wolf Assault Hang On Stand thus the need to have both hands free.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety Harness - Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »
Check out Hunter Safety Systems. I bought my first one ten years ago. Bought a much lighter one three years ago. Well made and comfortable.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »
I like my hunter safety system (hss) harness. It has loops for a lineman’s belt but they aren’t rubber.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
I recently found a great deal for $40 on Prime. Muddy Magnum Pro. Very lightwt.  Impressive.  Bought two for the family. Lineman loops (webbing- so quiet) but not rubber.    

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
I really like my Muddy Top Flight.  Used a HSS for several years and was satisfied with it as well.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
I use the muddy as well easy on, comfortable, lightweight, best I have used.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
I use the Muddy Magnum Pro with my Lone Wolf Assault. Like Dan said, super light weight, easy on and off, and affordable to boot.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
I use the one that came with my API Grandslam Magnum I bought several years ago. I love it.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
I own an HSS but have no idea why I bought it. The auto type seat belt buckles are about as hunter friendly as Velcro. The Muddys are a real eye catcher and I intend to look one over well before purchase.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
I really like my Tree Spider I haven’t bought the linemen’s belt for it yet last I looked they had it on sale for $5

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »
Alternative opinion...

Ditch the standard harness

Get a rock climbing harness. $50 At rei. Works great. More comfortable. Easier to put on. And if you fall you'll be facing the tree. So self rescue will be easier. Also works great for hanging stands.

Figure yourself out a rope system that attaches to the tree and your good.

I use 11 mm pmi static rope as the main line, and 5mm pmi accessory line for my prusik knots.

I make a loop at the end. Tie two prusiks onto the line. I put one caribeener at the top prusik. Wrap the loop around the tree, adjust the prusik and connect the caribeener. Tighten. Attach the other caribeener to the lower prusik. I use a short length of some sort of shock absorbing rope that goes from the harness to the lower caribeener.

So there's 2 points of adjustment. So it's easy to adjust the system to be the proper length given different trees.

If any of that makes sense

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
I have a Hunter safety system and have zero complaints. It has loops for a lineman's belt but it isnt rubber.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
Im am with Schmitty3 on this.I use a Petzl Pandion and will never go back to a regular harness.I hook it up to a tether line with a Prussic hitch knot.No shoulder straps and they are a lot more comfortable.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
Really appreciate the input from everyone! I love that people are so willing to help with these decisions.

Schmidty3 and flyfish - I have thought about the climbing harnesses for some time. Scjmidty - You said, " And if you fall you'll be facing the tree. So self rescue will be easier. Also works great for hanging stands."

My question is this. So when you are hunting you wear the harness and you connect to the tree via the waist loops on the back of the harness? So basically the absence of shoulder straps does not determine whether you will fall facing the tree or if you fall upright not upside down? The presence of leg loops determine how you will fall?

I am totally sold on the use of this for hanging a stand. I am just trying to understand how the climbing harness would work in the case of a fall once in the stand hunting.

Would appreciate any feedback.

PS - I use the 11MM rope as a linesmens belt with an ascender and have a Lone Wolf Rope Assembly to connect me to the tree while hunting.
Todd Trahan

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
I don't have any mountaineering experience. But this system works great for me.

I have never fallen wearing it. I have lost my balance while hanging and swung around a bit. I also have leaned way out... body nearly horizontal...so I could reach that 1 branch that was in the way.

To connect to the tree i loop the rope around at different heights depending in the diameter of the tree.

A big thick tree I may loop it just above the treestand seat. On a little tree I'll attach it over my head.

The rope is still attached to the front of the harness as a climber would. I'm right handed and position the rope to my right going up under my right arm. If you fall you should be facing the tree. But I don't leave much slack. Just enough so when I sit it's barely loose, and sometimes I'll leave it taught so I can use the rope as an arm rest.

If I have time tonight i may take some pictures. See if anyone with more climbing experience can weigh in.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »
I just went the same route with a Black Diamond rock climbing harness. The first thing I like about this set up is you can test it. I hooked up to my deer hoist in the back yard and pulled myself up to about eight feet off the ground. I read the entire daily paper while hanging in this harness. Its comfortable, it doesn't bind and you are in contact with the tree at all times. The tie off point is right at your belt buckle.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
Schmidty. Got it!! I am looking at the Black Diamond Bod Harness. It has rubber coated loops and the reviews are good with those who climb with it so if it's comfortable enough to rock climb the limited time I will spend in it should be fine.

Many thanks to everyone!
Todd Trahan

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
With regards to the climbing harness, isn't the rope in the front of you since it attached by your crotch instead of with the safety harness which it attaches in the upper back area and is out of your way to shoot.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
I've never had a problem. It's easy to manipulate and I keep it under my string arm. The only concern is if you do a complete circle. But you have that problem with a normal harness too.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
Mint, that is my only complaint with using it...  I move it around as needed when hunting.  I also use a treestand wingman as my way of descending if I fall..  I will not use or even try anythng else for the rest of my hunting career.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©