3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Lite Clothing  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
First Lite Clothing
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Checking out the First Lite Clothing line,, looks like some nice camo patterns...costly, but I like the patterns and features that KUIU doesn't have to offer.

Does any one have any intimate experience with this stuff? Pros or Cons?

Thanks
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Lite Clothing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
I use some of it.  Love ASAT- (though I think I heard FL may be phasing that out to the newer patterns they designed). Good base and mid layers.  Their pants are weak in design and material. Soft shell jackets are just too noisy for my liking.

ASAT brand (asatcamo.com) has some equal and better options and prices for some pieces.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
FL is all I have and use. I don't think you can beat their base layers. Best in the business IMO. I really like all their stuff, so I'm a bit bias. Their shooters cut is awesome. I'll have four top layers on and all my clothes are still nice and tight to my body, and not restricting. The outer layers make some noise, but nothing that makes me cringe. The merino pants are super quite, but not very durable. The Corrugate pants are noisy. I still haven't decided if I like them or not. The noise is just a little much. The rain gear is great. Super light and pack able. Recently I purchased their puffy jacket and pants, and have really enjoyed them. Both of them are, again, light and pack able. I have not tried any of the sanctuary line, but have heard great stuff about warmth and noise.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
I have several of the base layers and i'm completely satisfied with how they perform.

I live on the Gulf coast and high temps and high humidity is the norm.  Today high is calling 72* and i will have on a base layer shirt and their discontinued Labrador vest when the temp starts dropping later.

If you would have told me that I'd be wearing wool in the South with Humidity like we have I would have laugh at you a year a couple years ago.  But Merino wool is amazing stuff, better than the Synthetics i've used.

Their North branch jacket was too noisy for hunting so it went back and got the Labrador vest.

I'm looking to get the Woodbury midseason jacket, hear nothing but good things about it and supposed to be extremely quiet.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
Don't have much of it, but agree that the ripstop wool pants aren't very durable. They tear very easily.  Don't know if they're still putting the metal button on the leg just below the knee, but it's a waste and actually a bit dangerous.  When kneeling, crawling and or bumping something, it can leave a nice imprint/bruise on your leg.  

I also have a problem with the logo emblazoned all over the pants.  I don't want to look like a walking advertisement. Something a little more modest/refined, or none at all would be more to my liking.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention. All my FL is ASAT. Ssssoooo I'm not real happy with them right now for discontinuing the line.    :banghead:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
I have the guide pants. I like them for the most part, but as others have said, they are noisy.

I don't know why a "premium" hunting clothing manufacturer would use such noisy material. It's not worth the money they are asking in my opinion. I guess if you are a rifle hunter it would be fine.   :dunno:

Offline Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
I have the merino wool base layers, the Woodbury jacket and the sanctuary parka and bibs.  Quiet, warm, bow hunter sleeves and worth every penny for my needs.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
I have their guide pants and they may be a little too noisy for still hunting and I have had issues with the stitching in the crotch area but other than that they have been real durable and the pocket layout is fantastic, I have a pair of their obsidian pants which replaced their Kanabs and I'm in love with them, durability is still in question, but so far no issues and they are Merino and quiet! As said their base players are pretty much unbeatable. The fusion seems to be a great pattern, I had a stare down with a whitetail buck just a couple hours ago at about 60yds, he left, but with his tail down and no blowing and I was wide open to him. One other note, there guide pants can practically double as rain pants, the durable water repellent really works! I'm not going to stop wearing FL anytime soon! It works from the river bottoms to the mountain tops!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
All four of us switched to FirstLite this year for our Alaska hunt.  From base layers all the way up.

most days I walked out of camp with Llano base layer on top and the chama weight bottoms, Had the Halstead fleece over the top and guide pants on the bottom.  I fell  in love with the fleece and bought another in the green last week during the sale.

in the pack were fluffy vest and jacket.  Also have the light rain jacket but never put it on this year.

I find it all great.  The pants were a bit noise at first but after a few washes are great.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I have a lot of FL and love most of it. The only durability issue I have had was with the original Kanabs witch they replaced no questions asked. My Guide and Obsidian pants have been beat up with no issues. The Guide pants were loud at first but after a couple washes and wears they are not to loud at all now. I do have some Sitka Gear I mix in that is great also. Both are expensive but can be bought new/used at a fraction of the new price.  Overall I think First Lite offers a great product and in my experience great customer service.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
My First Light is the best hunting clothing purchase I have ever made! I wear it nearly all the time. I even wear the Llano shirts when it is warm. But the stuff really shines for cold weather use. It is thin! You can layer up without getting so bulky!

I love my First Lite stuff!!!!

Bisch

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
I love the clothing but sad that asat will not be available anymore
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
I just took advantage of the sale and bought a full set of the Sanctuary.  Seems really well made and quiet.  Can’t wait to put it to work this weekend for our late season.  Looks like it should be very warm and just ideal for late season white tails.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
I have the north branch softshell bibs/jacket for rainy days. I have the merino base layers and several tops for layering. I wear the merino ripstop pants for cool days, and the guide pants for warmer days. I have not found them very noisy and have stalked up to several deer wearing both. The softshell makes some noise, but I have stalked up to deer by accident in them as well during light rain. I wear Asbell wool tops for days with no precipitation when its cool, and just the FL merino tops on milder days. I am happy with all of it.
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
I've got some first lite asat gear. The lightweight, midweight and a heavy weight wool vest. Also have their brown Llano T's for work and the Chama exp top and bottoms for working outside. Getting that stuff on a flash sale is the only way to go. Would like more Llano t shirts someday. Very good stuff!
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
I guess I'm the odd man out in most of these discussions regarding hunting clothes. In most instances, I find the expensive "top end" clothes to be mostly hype. Granted, a winter expedition deep into the remote countryside may be a valid exception, but standard field clothes are, in my opinion, totally effective for almost all situations.

Camo patterns are most effective, primarliy as a result of powerul marketing programs. Plaid or standard camo work just fine.

I realize that many feel better with the top of the line on their backs, but I just don't buy into the hype.
Sam

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
I really like some of my first lite pieces. They have the most comfortable base layers in my opinion. I think there are better outerwear options ie vests and jackets. I have the guide pants and they are super comfortable. They do not breathe at all so are no good for early season or even Oct. but I get the woods and wear them all the time.  They are also a bit loud. I’m hoping to try the obsidians this year.
As with my post on backpacks, the FL and other hunting brands might cost more but those companies support my lifestyle and support wildlife conservation and public lands. I’ll pay a little more for that.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
Oh and right now is the time to get FL it’s on sale. Get ahold of RMS Gear they have a great selection!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
I want to thank everyone for their reviews/responses..this is what makes TG so great.
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©