3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Widow Shopping?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Widow Shopping?
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
I have been shooting trad gear for many years.  I hear all sorts of good things about Widows and very few bad things about them.

Is there any reason I should not get one to check them out?  I know they have a try-out program, but I doubt that one week will give me the time to tune and set up a bow to my liking.  

They do have good resale value, so I could probably unload it if I needed to. What do you think?  

I could always tell my wife it was my Christmas present to myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Good hunting.
Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Widow Shopping?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:54:00 PM »
Plenty of used ones available in the classifieds at much reduced prices. That way you could try the different models by trading or selling without losing anything and if you find the one that works you could always order one made for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
It is a fine piece of equipment.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »
I have been bouncing around the past few years looking for "the bow."  I just want to get a bow that I can shoot and say, "that's the one."

Though I like tinkering and such, I am tired of switching equipment.  I would like to settle on a bow and arrow combo and stick with it for a few years.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
you cant go wrong with a widow, the highest quality and the customer service that is un equalled, and as you said, the resale is excellent. there are faster, prettier, etc...bows out there and bows that shoot just as well as a widow, but the whole package ie: it being a hunting bow that is a very solid,good shootin bow, with a group of guys that stand behind thier bow makes it stand alone in my opinion.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
I have done the same thing, looking for "the bow", while I still enjoy shooting differant bows and tinkering with them when it comes time to get serious I pick up my widow. No matter how much messing around I have done with other bows I can pick up my widow and shoot well with just a few warm up shots.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
I have finished my search for bows, I have just sold seven on ****, both recurves and longbows. My girlfriend now calls me a "Bow Snob" because I only shoot Widows!!!

I have owned some of the best, Palmer, Bighorn, Elburg, Saxon, and Bob Lee. Out of that group I have some favorites, but after getting my first Widow a 2001 SAV Ironwood, I was hooked.  I purchased my next Widow a longbow from Black Widow in Aug. of this year, it was a test drive bow purchased with the warranty of a brand new bow. It was in excellent condition, and the last on on **** a few days later, also a longbow.

These bows are the total package, and as stated above, I can call these guys anytime about the bows.  I have become a better archer because of these bows.....you know, I have become a Bow Snob, and I like it!

Oh! do you know anyone who wants to buy a set of Bear takedown limbs.....?
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
You wouldn't happen to be a lefty would you?  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Rick_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
I bought a used BW last summer and it's been great. As sort of a beginner there's no way I knew enough to order a new one even if I wanted to pay full price, so a used one got me going. There are lots of used ones around although the lighter draw weights are s bit rare. There was a bit of a learning curve getting going so while a week's trial may be enough for an experienced person, it would have been too short for me.

Offline 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
Every one is different I shot a bunch of bows but shoot my widows better,Its not a better bow than the next but so far it fits me good,Ptf 50at 26 and sa11 53 at 26 I think the PTf is one of the sweetest looking bows out there...ED
Put some air under it.

Offline bill m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
I have a 62" PLX Longbow, 46# @ 28" and love it.

Bill

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Try any Black Widow. You will find out that all the talk is truth.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
I've had a bunch of nice bows but as far as 'recurves' go...a Widow is gonna be hard to beat. Mine is a 56" SA III and 46#'s @ 28"s and I just love it. VERY arrow friendly and pretty darn quick. I switch back and forth between it and my 56" Vortex (which is also a 46#er) with no problems. And' I shoot the same arrows in both which is a plus for me. take vermonster's advice and go used at first, you'll not regret it.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Try a Silvertip curve by Dave Windauer if you are looking for "the Bow". I have cycled through many of the top bows out there only to go back to my workhorse, the Silvertip take down.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
I've been shooting Widows exclusively since the late 1980s. Bought my first one just out of college for $660 and noticed that the same vintage bow is now selling on e-bay for exactly what I paid for it twenty years ago. How's that for holding value?

I shoot year 'round and in a literal sense, have shot tens of thousands of arrows from my Widows without so much as a single issue arising. When set up properly, Widows are quiet, forgiving, accurate and fast.

Just treated myself to a 50th anniversary "matching set"- a longbow and a recurve that are both works of art. I was fortunate to take a small buck with my longbow a couple weeks ago (my first longbow harvest). Since then, I've been dogging a bruiser with my recurve most every night out behind the house.

You will not regret investing in a Widow. As nice as the bows are, the people at Black Widow are even nicer - EXCEPTIONAL after the sale service and support. Ken Beck and the rest of the gang at Black Widow are absolutely class acts!
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
limbow, I have a Silvertip on order that should be ready in a few months.  

The Widow fever that I have is mainly because I just have very little experience with them.  I figured I should give one a try to see what all the buzz is about.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Oh Incidently, other than changing the string periodically, I have a Widow that has REMAINED STRUNG for going on 15 years. It shoots as well today as it did the day I bought it.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
The only bad thing about the try out program is you wont want to send the bow back!!! :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
Whitetail Chaser-

I too have wondered about a Widow bow. Once you get your Silvertip, please compare it to the widow you end up finding and post your opinion. Thanks
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
I have owned several BW's over the years and can attest to their quality, speed and durability.  Roger, John and Toby are first class people who stand behind their work and provide exceptional customer service. This spring I will be attending their annual shooting clinic in Nixa, Mo. where Ken Beck and G Fred Asbell will provide expert instruction in all aspects of trad shooting, bow tuning, arrow selection and a great deal more. Can't wait!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©