3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Samick Sage  (Read 1244 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Samick Sage
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
Does anyone own or shoot a Samick sage recurve? Was wondering what you think of them?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Hawk2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Samick Sage
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
I bought a Samick Sage this last summer 40# and it shoots great, only cost $140 but shoots super! I have 10 recurves and this is by far the cheapest and it shoots as good or better than any of the others for me at least!! I think you would love it! Hawk

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
My 13 year old son has the Sage 1 piece.  The finish isn't perfect, but not bad. The bow shoots very nice...especially for the price.

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
I have the Samick Journey in 45#. Pretty much the same as the Sage, except it has 64" limbs. Shoots great. I would hunt with it.
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
Great bows.  The string that comes with them is pretty bad (overbuilt Dacron), but with a good string they are really good shooters.  My preference is 18-20 strands of BCY-X.

Fit and finish isn't always perfect, but for the price they are great--and unlike old bows, they come with a warranty.

I've been shooting a Journey for going on 6 years.  Killed the only deer I shot at with it, killed my biggest stingray to date (approx. 100#) with it, won both of the long-distance novelties at the KY Tradfest with it.  Best part is I don't want to cry if I ding it up.  Great bowfishing and loaner bow.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
Thanks everyone
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
The Sage was the first recurve I bought after getting back into trad. For the price, it's outstanding. My only problem was that I over-bowed myself at 55#; an easy fix as 3Rivers and others carry replacement limbs from 25-60#.
The nice thing about the Sage is it comes with inserts for stabilizer or bow reel, sights, elevated rest and plunger button if you choose to add any of those options...or, just shoot bare bow off the shelf. I will echo what Chad said about the string; mine sucked and was too long to even twist up to the correct brace height. These bows will accept a Fast Flight string and it really adds to the 'turbo boost'. It's not the ideal bow, but for getting into the sport, it's terrific.
Aim small,miss small

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
I went to a SBD 6-strand string. The performance was amazing.
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
My sage is my primary bow.  I bought a right hand for hunting, a left-handed riser for target practice and 3 sets of limbs in different draw weights.  All that easily adds up to what a better bow would have cost me.  But I get the benefit of 6 different bow configurations for that price.  Pretty hard to beat.

They're like the stock Glock.  Big, Blocky, all function with no frills.  But it will get the job done, parts available everywhere, etc.  And if you can't get it done with a Sage, the problem isn't the bow.

That being said, nothing interchanges perfectly.  So I've had to ship parts back & get replacements until it works.  But what do you expect for the price?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
I have a sage as a second bow (50 lbs), get new FF string put some limb savers on limbs, and a couple muskox balls on string, tennis racket grip wrap and you will have a quite killer
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
One will likely invest significantly more to observe any discernable benefit.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Love my one piece.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 06:00:00 AM »
mine is a cold blooded killer. 55lbs with a ff string upgrade and it shoots as good as any other I own!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 06:12:00 AM »
I started out with one, and still shoot it regularly and take it on hunting trips as backup bow. For the money they're hard to beat. I agree with upgrading from the factory string.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »
I would bet that more Samick bows were sold this year than any other maker.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
I have a 40# SW Archery Spyder. The company was started by the guys who designed the Sage. It's not quite as blocky. I don't hunt with it but I do use it as a lighter weight keep my muscles in shape over the winter kind of bow. If you are looking at the Sage I would definitely consider one of them as well. As for the string - there isn't a bow I have that doesn't get one of Allen's strings. I keep the factory string for a back up.
SWA Spyder

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
I have one and it shoots fine but I had to file and sand the knock groves because it was cutting my string. I ordered a second one but sent it back because one of the limbs would not seat. I do like the grip as much as my custom bows.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »
I have 2 right hand and 1 left hand sage and they shoot great for the money actually they shoot great period! I also have a southwest archery spyder which is nearly identical to the sage but the riser is finished out a lot smoother and I do like the feel of it better than the sage. Great thing is the limbs interchange between the sage and Spyder they are definetly worth the money !
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
I bought 3 of them this year, for my 3 granddaughters. As others have said, with a good string, they are nice shooting bows. I put Daniel's (HCB) on them.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
I own a Polaris and two Sages 35#, 45# and a 55#. They sho0t as well as anything I remember owning. Lost my entire collection of Bears to a house fire years ago. Plan on replacing them for sentimental reasons not because the samicks are inferior. Samick makes a really nice bow and I can own several without breaking into the piggy bank.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©