3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice On A Western Adventure  (Read 391 times)

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice On A Western Adventure
« on: December 02, 2017, 01:25:00 AM »
I have always loved reading about hunting trips in the far north and out west. The stories of chasing elk in the west, or caribou up north have always mesmerized. Sleeping under the stars in a canvas tent, hunting in giant woods, as old as the earth itself, and taking an animal with my recurve has become a dream of mine. It seems so different than how I hunt deer here in East Tennessee. Hopefully in the 2018-2019 season I can finally make this dream become a reality.

I don't care if its mule deer, elk , caribou, or even bear. The thrill of chasing one of these animals out west, is what I am after. Not a trophy animal, but just an exciting hunt.

Does anyone recommend an outfitter or a place to do a drop camp / do it your self hunt? The difficulty I am having , is finding one for $2000 or less. I know I am rambling, as it is 1:34am, but I was hoping some of you guys would have some advice.

Also if you have some stories or pictures from your own adventures , please feel free to share them in the comments.    :campfire:    :campfire:
I am a hunter, a conquer, and a barbarian, I am MAN

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice On A Western Adventure
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:58:00 AM »
For $2000 you can do an OTC-DIY hunt for elk in Colorado or Idaho , not counting gear cost. Both states have been good to me over the years I have done 6 elk hunts and killed 4 bulls on DIY hunts. Also done DIY bear , Muledeer , antelope and filled my tags and those are cheaper hunts. Would love to do a Caribou hunt one day myself. You can do the hunts you are looking for ( usually much easier than most say ). I like shooting big stuff but I always shoot the first elk that gets in range so I have never killed a big one and am always happy to just get a bull. The adventure it what it's all about for me , if you don't get the answers or something in your sights send me a PM and I can help you along best I can. Best advice I can give is go in a wilderness area that is walk-in only and get away from other hunters. I hear it can't be done that in Colorado a hunter is behind every tree. But in the last 2 years I hunted 44 days ( killed a bull on day 8 both years then hunted bear and fished the remaining time) and only saw 5 other guys in the area and they were single sightings each. When the going gets rough that's when most turn around and look elsewhere so I like to hunt in the rough spots. Anyway good luck on your quest.......

,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 02:52:00 AM »
It's easy:
Get a buddy
Buy an OTC tag
Pick a random unit with good numbers and go hunt...you'll learn so much and have an experience that will last a lifetime

First time I went I spent $1200 on gear, gas, tag and everything.

Hope you can make it happen soon, we aren't getting any younger

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
You can go to arizona in january and hunt mule deer, coues, deer, and javelina in the same trip. About the most beautiful mtns youll ever see too. No need for an outfitter. Ive been a lot of places and hunted lots of stuff. SE AZ has become my favorite trip

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
I don't think you will find an outfitter for that kind of money but I agree that you can have a great adventure doing a hunt on your own and stay in your budget. I would suggest Mule deer as they are bit easier to find and you should be able to come up with opportunities where as hunting Elk can be feast or famine. Several states have units where you can get or draw a tag that is left over of get one with just your first draw. You will need to do research!! This however can be part of the fun and adventure. Also, planning gear is also really fun. And lastly, get into good physical shape. This will really help make your adventure fun and not torture...

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
A few years ago Cyclic-Rivers [Charlie} and I did an Elk hunt in Colorado. Started out with about 5 guys and when it was time to go it was me and him........we went any way. Great time, OTC tags, camped at 10,000 feet for a week. Did we get one, no. Did we have a great time, you bet'cha we did. Learned a lot, saw some game and just a good time. Don't wait......go for it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
Narrow your game choice and state. Elk in ID or CO or even UT if you are good with a spike or cow. Muleys in about every state that has them and Antelope in a handful like WY or MT. Once you get what and where narrowed down ask again specifically. There’s lots of guys willing to help. Then go do it!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
Contact the state DNR or it's equivalent's regional office in the area you want to hunt. Ask to speak to or for contact information for a Wildlife Biologist in the office. They will know more about the area and it's potential than anyone and will often offer some pretty specific suggestions.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
If you want to get your feet wet with a western hunt cheap Idaho offers bear tags in certain units at reduced price. It is under $45 for a non resident bear tag.

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
thanks for all the imput guys, I got some research to do.
I am a hunter, a conquer, and a barbarian, I am MAN

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
Centennial Outfitters in SW Montana does a pack-in drop camp within that price range.   You get it all - a horse ride in beautiful country, the tent, etc.   Bring your own food, hunt on your own.   It is public land and some years it is great and some it is not, but that is hunting.   I have been out with them five times and only had one year where the elk just were not there.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
Some good suggestions here.  After years and years of dreaming and several false starts, I finally picked a cow/spike elk unit in Utah and did a solo elk and deer hunt.  Found out that the hardest part was simply committing and actually doing it.  The hunting itself wasn't that hard and I came home with my first archery elk in the cooler and the confidence that I could actually do this.  Having a partner has its advantages but going solo gives you a lot of freedom and flexibility.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
get in shape, drink lots of water, did I mention get in shape.

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 04:59:00 PM »
I will second what Jeff said.  If you are ok with a cow, Utah is a great value.  Beautiful state and lots of elk.   They actually issue cow depredation tags in some areas.   I used one this year and killed a cow in August.   I also learned that I am too old to kill a cow in August by myself. . .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©