3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone remember this bear story?  (Read 327 times)

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone remember this bear story?
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
I think it was at least 5 years ago, a guy out in Idaho or Montana was elk hunting with a selfbow? and  ran into an angry bear. The bear charged him and the hunter arrowed it through the skull.

Any links to it or any info where I could find it would be great.

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone remember this bear story?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
I think that story was in Traditional Bowhunter a few issues back. Montana bow hunter it I remeber.

Rusty

Offline StephenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
It is several issues back.I dug out some old issues a few days ago and read it again.I will see if I can find it.

Stephen

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
I think he arrowed the bear first, and was tracking it when the head shot happened. It was in TBM....I cant find  that issue though.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
It was Chad ,a member here.
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
This is getting interesting. Maybe there is more than one story like this? I would like to hear them all!

The one I am remembering, the hunter was looking for elk and the bear surprised him.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
This is not a hunting story !

But it is a bear story !

I was camping in the boundary Waters in northern Minnesota, I have been going there for about 12 years, and I have wanted to see a bear, I heard a lot of campers have had them in there campsites, but we never did.

It was July 29 three years ago, we had taken our pop-up motorcycle camper behind our car, to National Forest campgrounds, and we had been there for about three nights, canoeing and fishing, and just having fun.  We had gone to a terrific pizza place, I had pizza with pepperoni and sausage on it, that sets the scene for the BEAR.

It was 11:23 p.m. I heard something comes to the campsite, I pulled myself all the way up and push myself against the screen adding of the tent to see what was coming around the corner, I was laying on a bed that was about 4 ft. off the ground, at the end of the bed there was a window within an awning made of nylon the same materials the tent.  When the Black figure came underneath the awning with me having my nose against the netting, I knew it was a bear right away, I had never been that close to that big of a bear,(black bear), I thought to myself " I'll be quiet and it will go away",wrong, it was only about 2 ft. from me.  Right below me.  This is where the pepperoni and sausage pizza comes into play, his nose smelled it !   :scared:   at that point my nose is still against the screen netting, the bear stands up and puts his nose against the screen netting on the left-hand side of my nose, it was wet to say the least, and when he smelled human, he didn't care for that, so he snorted, and that stuff was in his nose got on my nose, at this point I yelled BEARRRRRRRRRR !   :scared:  

Of course I was more scared then he was, he could not see me because it was dark inside the tent, he walked away about 15 ft. to the trees turned around and looked at me, as if to say " you're crazy man", and then walked into the woods.  My wife said " I didn't understand what you were yelling  until you got the last R out" we both laughed about it, but I was shaking a little.

I just rolled over on the bed and said " real funny God real funny"

I finally got my chance to see "A BEAR"

I think I need to go hunt them to get rid of this fear !  That should  cure it.   :goldtooth:
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 02:48:00 AM »
If a bear charges you - the chances of putting one ~into~ its skull are little. Better to aim for the chest- and let the bear get busy with attacking the arrow----- rather than you.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
I know it seems wrong----but I carry a pistol along while hunting(or even just wandering). In this country you are just another link in the ol' food chain. Now I'm not paranoid, just prepared.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
TTT
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
Its in the Dec/Jan 2007 issue p. 46 by Chad Sivertsen titled "Windows of Opportunity". He was elk hunting but ended up shooting a bear and tracked it for a while and sees it coming uphill towards him with its head showing through a gap in the brush and shooting it in the head.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 01:55:00 AM »
Ok, Chad's story is probably notthe one I am looking for, but I am going to try to get the back issue so I can check it out anyway.

I guess I am at the age when time is becoming irrelevant, and the years are running together:help: , but I (think)am sure that the story I am thinking about was further back. Guess I will know for sure when I read the details of Chad's encounter.

Thanks guys      :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©