3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Warmest bibs  (Read 2052 times)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Warmest bibs
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
I have a set of Cabela's parka coat and bids it is  93% wool.  It has windshear in both. And with merino wool Long underwear, I lasted about 3 1/2 hrs. in a tree stand, at 16 below.  Sure did surprise me, they're nice and warm.  I don't know if you can get them anymore I haven't seen them in the store lately.  -33 merino wool is really good stuff.
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. The Cabelas stand Hunter still has my attention. And is priced fairly compared to some others I've seen.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
I got a pair of Gray Wolf Woolen lined wool bib (but not insulated). No wind comes through and very warm. Love the full length leg zippers and double fabric butt.  Side sash pockets are deep and warm.  Very nice workmanship and the came in ASAT Brown camo.  Definitely an investment at $450, however I have my Gray Wolf wool lined and insulated vest going on seven years and it’s like new. Good luck.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
I have given my Asbell bibs a good workout this season, and they have been as warm as I need them to be. My prior bibs were Filson, I like the GFA version much better. Not only are they very affordable, but ergonomically they are laid out just the way I want them. Zippers and pockets in all the right places. Made right here in Michigan by a great contributor to traditional archery, Teresa Asbell.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
I have some arctic shield. Really warm but seems like to me they are kind of noisy. Hasn’t been cold enough for me to wear them in 3 years. I’ll have to check em this weekend cause it’s gonna be lows in the 20’s here. Brutal for central ms. Lol
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 12:42:00 AM »
Wool for me also, Bemidji woolen mills.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
Are the Cabelas bibs QUIET?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Biggie- DEAD quiet. Not just quiet.  Its wool.  Body mapped with strategic high-end insulation in different areas. Lining DEAD quiet.  Full length leg zips.  Strategic pockets.

The parka is crazy good design too.  Thigh length with unbelievable pockets, pit zips and a incorporated hand muff that is crazy warm.  

I am telling you guys- I know of nothing like this Cabelas set out there.  And I am quite familiar with most everything else mentioned. The only con is the weight, and frankly it can be too warm to walk in.  But even that has been taken into consideration as it is designed to roll up and carry.   I have friends using the set for sub zero ALL DAY, DEAD quiet sits in the Dakotas and late season.  For teens to 40 degrees I wore nothing but base layers for all day sits this season.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Too bad they don't make tall bibs.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
pdk- I am 6'4" and all in my circle are over 6' and 210+#.  They fit us well.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
That is good to know.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
Dan what camo pattern do you have the stand hunters in? Just curious. Some of the reviews on Cabelas complained about the camo being faded.  I think you've talked be into them.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
Actually like Outfitter best. I did get the Zonz pattern because it was on sale cheap though.

Zonz is light, but actually much better than typical dark stuff especially for late season. Some of that will depend on your terrain.  However, for some of my terrain I do use a First Light Labrador over the parka. It stretches perfect and gives me the camo I like. The bibs are going to blend in w most tree trunks quite well.

Let me add too though:  If the question is about BEST FOR WARMTH- in my finite 2C world, as of today, I have not seen anything as warm (plus the incredible features) as the Cabelas.  But warmth also typically means a certain time of year/season for me.  There is no doubt- that many of the items mentioned on this thread would be great- and at times even better choices for certain parameters.

Dan in KS

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
Asbell for me. Like Roger said as warm as I need them. Hunted from October till now here in Michigan’s thumb area. I can’t say enough about the Asbell Bibs. I hunt on the ground with Long Johns and felt lined jeans warm enough for me and not all bound up with bulk. All my friends can’t wait for Kalamazoo so they can get a pair. Asbell is always my first stop ok pic up another pair as well.

Offline joel0711

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
Wiggys Bibs---Not real quite for bow but use them for mz and rifle season---Hasn't been cold enough yet to drag 'em out,and yes wiggys fish net underwear looks funny but it does work great,hey if nothing else you can make a few bucks in camp doing table dances,,,HAHAHA

Offline Bear_hunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
I bought a pair of the Natural Gear fleece bibs 6 years ago and they are still going strong.   Quiet, super warm and very comfortable.

Offline HellOnWheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »
Carhartts!

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
I've got the Fanatic Bib, pretty toasty

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2017, 12:12:00 AM »
I was hoping to get the fanatic bins on sale, but the Cabelas Standhunter bins went on sale today for 50 percent off plus free shipping, so I pulled the trigger, plus ordered the jacket.  Hope they fit.

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
Patrick,

I have to say "Thank You!" for the heads up.  

I have considered trying the Standhunter Extremes for several years but didn't want to spend the full price and never saw a discount this significant.

Earlier this Fall, I finally bought a set of the First Lite Sanctuary gear when they were on sale for a third off.  When I saw your post saying the Cabela's Extreme gear was 1/2 off, I decided to invest my Christmas s gift money and take the opportunity to compare the two "technologies."

Would not have noticed it if it hadn't been for you.  Thanks!

Daryl

PS- Had my first cold day hunt in the First Lite bibs and coat today.  8 degree temps with light winds.  I was VERY comfortable and well pleased.  It will be interesting to see how a REALLY cold day goes, and compare the Cabela's performance.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©