3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Warmest bibs  (Read 2050 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Warmest bibs
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
Shout out to KSDan for reccomending the stand hunters. I snatched a pair of the bibs today at Cabelas with my club pionts. In fact i liked them so much i snatched a parka as well with some gift cards from xmas. Both garments on sale right now so i paid around 300. My first impression after wearing them outside for a little while is I believe it would be impossible for my body to get cold
here in OH while wearing these. Some
negatives would be the bulk. I haven't had a chance to shoot yet with these garments on but i can see the parka creating issues for string clearance. Perhaps you guys have some tricks to remedy this? Also i will have to find a way to pack in the parka or maybe both the parka and bibs because they got warm quick when moving. Overall i am really impressed with the quality for the price i paid.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 11:33:00 PM »
I went back and corrected my post but I said I had stand hunter bibs which was wrong(SORRY)they are the Dry Plus Extreme cold weather bibs that were discontinued a few years ago, they are Extremely warm also maybe as warm as the stand hunters but the Parka is too noisy for bow hunting so only gun hunt with it..

Just went to Cabelas Bargain Cave and bought the Stand Hunter Parka so will use it with the Dry Plus Bibs.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »
Robert- a few guys have been saying they were on sale this week.  Pretty typical. They are a GREAT buy.  Look them over good- there are some pretty unique features including how the hand muff works with straps/buckles etc.

Like I stated in my original reply to your post:  I know of nothing out there as warm and same time quiet and not feeling like the Michelin man. And I think I have pretty much seen it all. I was out tonight in the teens/low 20s = toasty warm.

Wait until you have sat a few hours and you find the need to unzip/vent the top because the temps have raised to 30 degrees!

As far as bulk- I realize guys have different shooting styles- but I draw a full 31" and have not had any problems.  I wear a typical arm guard and have my binocs on my chest with my harness.      

Good hunting and have a great New Year.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
I will shoot this afternoon and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again Dan.Im super happy with the purchase. I will post some pics as well if i get a minute.

Offline not on the rug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
I got my Bibs and Parka from Day One Camouflage.  I narrowed it down to them or Gray Wolf Woolens.  

The clothing is extremely high quality and it is tailored to your measurements and built to your exact specifications.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Are the Cabelas bibs QUIET?
Yes, the Cabela bibs are very quiet.  And they don't seem to pick up the stickers and thistles very easy.  If anything they have got too many zipper pockets. You can carry your whole backpack in the parka and the bibs pockets. But I'm glad I got them when I did. Because I don't think you can get them now.  But maybe they just change the style and did something different with them. But the 93% wool is really nice.  Especially in Minnesota.  And when I got mine, I ordered it in the tall size. The bibs are a little extra long, but I can deal with that. The nicest thing is Down at the bottom where your boots are they got zippers.  And after you zip it up there is a set of snaps to close it up over the zipper.  They thought of everything.

If I would've paid regular price for anything it would have been close to $750 to  $800 for both of them.  I think it was 40% off when I got them.  But that was over 10 years ago, and they still look like new.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
Too bad they don't make tall bibs.
Cabela's do, but I had to order mine.  But they still gave me the sale price. But that wasn't recent.  Now that they've sold to the other place I don't know how it would be.  But Asbell ( Teresa ) would make them to size for you.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Warmest available = Cabelas Stand Hunter Extreme.  Friends who advised me hunt ALL DAY in single and sub 0 temps, including wind.  I hunted this fall all day, some in 20-40 degree day temps with nothing more than base layer.  Warm ALL DAY.  Heavy- but amazing gear.  I have tried most everything- nothing like this stuff.  Usually on sale for 1/2 around Christmas and New Year.

Dan in KS
I'll second that!

The exterior is just like the wooltimate clothing, with LOTS of insulation inside.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
FLIKR  

I can't figure out how to embed on FLIKR now so If you guys are interested in the gear here is a couple pics. Really impressed with the jacket and bibs and had no trouble shooting my widow with them on today!

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
Cabelas Stand Hunter, they are a warm well designed bow hunting bib. I hunt in -30'and they keep me warm, with a couple other layers...lol
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:00 AM »
Bibs and parka came.  The design and materials are very nice, and I can tell they are going to be "keepers".

My only disappointment was that the parka does not have a "pass through" designed into it for a safety harness strap.  That seems to be a real omission for a product named Stand Hunter.     :confused:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2018, 07:31:00 AM »
Sitka Fanatic Series. Berber fleece exterior and a Primaloft liner. Dead quiet and very warm. The fit nice and have pockets sewn into them on the leg for holding your bottom limb. Easy to maneuver in and very comfortable. I have had them in -20F and they cut wind much better than any wool product. I much prefer Berber fleece over wool. It's lighter and warmer.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
Just got mine in yesterday.  This cold front will be gone before I get to really test them, but they definitely are quiet, and should be pretty warm.  Great deal at half price.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2018, 12:30:00 PM »
Wish Cabela's made the inseam longer on the tall's, than I would of had a pair. Oh well.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
I got the large regular, and I am a touch over 6'1 with a solid 34" inseam.  I don't plan on walking in these, but these seem like they will fit fine for hunting coveralls, inseam and length wise.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
I have their berber pants in large tall, and they work as well, but I start walking on the bottoms if they slip down at all while I am walking.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
I'm 6'4", so maybe they will work, hard to tell.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 09:40:00 PM »
Touch base with KSdan.  I believe he is either 6'3 or 6'4.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
I've been wearing my Asbell bibs ever since I got them early this fall. I've even been wearing them in the extreme cold we've had during the late season. I wear a sweatshirt and sweat pants with the bibs over that, then an insulated vest and Asbell wool jacket over all. I haven't had any problem keeping warm in the single digit temps.

I love the zippered pockets in the front and zippered cargo pockets on the side plus the two way zipper that goes from the top to the crotch    :thumbsup:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
I've spent a fair amount of time in below 0 temps in a stand within the last couple of weeks wearing the Sitka fanatic line. I've owned the bibs and jacket for 3 years and it just wasn't cold enough to break it out much the first couple of years.  I only wear this stuff when temps are single digits or below.  In 30 plus years of stand hunting in Midwestern Illinois this stuff is hands down the warmest and best I've ever used - bar none.  I wear a base layer of merino wool, an insulating layer of Sitka pants and a top and then the outer fanatic bibs and jacket.  That's it and it has kept me warm in a treestand with no issues to negative 5 with wind.  I do not believe I've hunted in temps lower than that since I bought the stuff.  

I simply like the bulk to warmth ratio.  I can move and shoot nicely with this stuff while keeping warm.  I bought all of my Sitka stuff while on sale or clearance locally and in all cases paid less than half of what retail was.  Worth every penny to me so far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©