3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ECWCS (mil surp clothes) for hunting?  (Read 333 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
ECWCS (mil surp clothes) for hunting?
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Recently I bought a set of ECWCS level 3 fleece jacket and bibs ... I was shocked by how good the quality is for the price. For the uninitiated I'm talking US military surplus clothes. There's also some pretty decent base layers available .... I figure if it's meant for surviving the mountains of Afghanistan, it's gotta be cut out for upstate NY.

Wondering if anyone else is taking advantage of uncle sam's overspending too?

As an added plus, they come in literally every size from xs to like 2xl, often in short, regular, and long, and it's all USA made. Great for small people like me who resent that many hunting clothes are often only available in m-3xl.

I would love to buy all the fancy stuff from cabelas, but I have two kids and their stay at home mom .... so that ain't happening.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ECWCS (mil surp clothes) for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
I have been wearing ECWCS poly long johns for years. wear it under a wool sweater or shirt and wool bibs. I'm good down to 10 degrees if I'm moving. Wicks well and dries fast. Good stuff. If it is good for our folks in uniform it's good enough for me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
Are the outer layers quiet?
Sam

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Not bad Sam, not as good as wool or fleece but close.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
I wear my silkies and waffles all the time as base layers but my belly hangs out now haha. To much beer these day.
I am a hunter, a conquer, and a barbarian, I am MAN

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
I got German military wool pants from Cabelas for my 2 Colorado elk hunts in 2006 and 2010. I think I paid $9.95 for the 2 pair and they were quality pants. I did have to make alterations because they were too long and too tight but there was plenty of material to let out the waist and I just cut off the leg hem and re-hemmed them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Don't see why not.  I use BDU pants for almost all my hunting.  Seems like good stuff at reasonable prices.  And built to last.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm glad I saw this. The ECWCS static activity pants are what I need to stay in a tree stand. And cheap too! I see they sell them at Midway USA. Larry Potterfield always thanks me for my business.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I'm glad I saw this. The ECWCS static activity pants are what I need to stay in a tree stand. And cheap too! I see they sell them at Midway USA. Larry Potterfield always thanks me for my business.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©