3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with a clicker?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Luke Perring

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with a clicker?
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
Does anyone hunt with a clicker on their bow? I just purchased the crick it clicker but haven’t installed it yet but am excited to use it in hopes that it will help me with some target panic issues. Would love to hear about anyone’s input about experience with their clickers.
"He guides our steps, he guides our arrows home..."

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with a clicker?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
I did last spring on my bear hunt, but had it quieted down with quite a bit of tape.  It is a bit of a pain and seemed to get tangled in everything but I do shoot better with one on.  No issues.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Yes.  But I haven't shot at anything alive with it yet.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Matt Parker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
I replace the chain and string with D loop material. It doesn't get tangled any with the D loop material. I don't quite mine down at all and have killed over 10 deer with it the last 3 years.
Matt Parker

Offline 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
I intend to have a blog article about this very thing posted soon. I'll share the link once it is live.
I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
I have hunted with a clicker for 25 years. No issues at all.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
For the past ten years. No problem here
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline DWinVA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Used one this season. Replaced the chain w/ d-loop material and quieted down with tape. Took 3 deer with no issues.

God Bless.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

Offline DWinVA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
Used one this season. Replaced the chain w/ d-loop material and quieted down with tape. Took 3 deer with no issues.

God Bless.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
Very sporting of you to give the deer a "heads up" before you shoot.  

I'm not that polite.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Jbseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Get rid of the chain like DW said. Keep wrapping electrical tape to deaden the click. It will feel like a thump more than a click when you get it right. The clicker brought me back to my love of traditional archery. I had put the bow down for years because of TP. Thanks to the click i'm back. Good luck!!
Never go back the way you came

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
I replace the chain with braided decoy cord and deaden the click with electrical tape a bit. I've had no issues over the last 8 yrs.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
I used liquid rubber on it to totally quiet the click.  Been using the clicker since I bought my bow in 1991 and never had an issue of a deer hearing the click, and I know I hit full draw every time

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »
I think there's two brands of clickers, is there a favorite the hunters like,,,,, seems after my shoulder surgery which was my drawing arm shoulder I am creeping and not really having a solid anchor,  there is no pain but I noticed even doing other things I did with my arm pre-surgery is not as precise now..

I think I really need to try one of these.
"Us vs Them"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:00 AM »
Tajue there are really only two brands
of clickers. I’ve used them both and don’t prefer one over the other. They both work fine.

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
I was fighting target panic for a couple years after I had an elbow injury. I put one on this past September at the suggestions of Joel Turner and Denny Sturgis, It was the best thing I have ever done I  have my full confidence back in my shooting
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
I have a good buddy who uses one set up like previous posts for as long as I've known him. He's the closest thing to a assassin with a stickbow that I know.

I tried one but could just never get use to it. But I do know they work!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 02:16:00 PM »
Ive had pretty bad target panic for years. Get it under control and then have to battle it again and again. Took joel turner's online course. It helped but still creeps in.

I had one ten minute conversation with dan toelke and Ive been 100 percent clean for many months now. I wont share his secret cure on here. Its not mine to give, but it changed me for sure.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
I tried out a clickity clicker. I ended up putting a piece of beer coozie in the gap between the metal plates. That seemed to be a little echo chamber. Also put silencing moleskin type material all over everything.

I shot a doe at 8 yards from a stand. She had no clue I was there.

I was shooting a 610 gr arrow at 165. Pretty slow. Shooting over 25 yards It was pretty helpful to ensure I had full expansion. It also was nice when shooting at odd angles, sitting in a chair, or from a treestand.

I've since switched to a faster setup. Small draw length changes aren't hurting my trajectory as much. So I omitted the clicker.

Now I was on a south Texas deer hunt a few weeks back. Hunting on the ground in mesquite. I think those deer wouldve heard the clicker. One buck heard the slight rustle of my clothes as I was drawing on him.

I did go through a period where I had clicker panic. And would release as it clicked. Something to be aware off.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 04:57:00 PM »
I use the Clickety Click brand and quiet it with moleskin. It's barely audible. I also swapped out D-loop material for the adjustable string/chain. Haven't used the Cricket brand so I can't give a direct comparison. Tom Clum at RMS said he likes the Clickety Click better, so that's the direction I went.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©