3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Horn Bows........would like some info, any fans  (Read 1021 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Big Horn Bows........would like some info, any fans
« on: December 09, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
I was lucky to win the bid on the PBS auction for a Big Horn recurve donated by Biggie Hoffman. He said he wasn't sure of the age or who made it. Is anyone out there a fan of Big Horns.....??? This bow is 64" 48# @ 30" and made for Tony Van Dort. Real nice shape, Biggie said he used the bow as back up on many of his hunts all over the place including Africa. Any info on Big Horns would be cool. There is a photo on the auction site, forum #2.... Many Thanks......ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Horn Bows........would like some info, any fans
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Would this be the "Bighorn" Company from 1980s owned by G. Fred Asbell?  Good shooting bows.  Not the fastest, but consistent shooters and solid craftsmanship.  ??

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
I have one from the mid 90's.  60" 56@27. A great shooting bow. I also have a Silvertip and a Morrison that are the same draw weight and they all shoot within a few fps of each other.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Yes, the same Bighorn, but this is one from after G. Fred Asbell. Not sure who owned it after that.....I think there may have been a couple of guys. The bow has a great grip, is very smooth drawing. You don't seen many this light in poundage.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
Ron,
That bow was made for me.  The first bighorn recurve I hunted with was 62" Absel era (curved limb bed) in the mid '80s.  

The bow you have now has made blood up in Northern Michigan during the early and late Whitetail seasons...last kill I nailed a fat forkhorn.

Man...brings back some good memories!

Send me a couple pics...I'll post them.  Would love to see it again.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
Wow that’s neat.....I will get a photo to you. I plan to hunt it next fall in the Adirondacks. I just got today via UPS, will shoot very shortly. Biggie Hoffman took real good care of it.

Offline ca

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 12:01:00 AM »
Sad that no one continues these bow designs.
They were very solid bows.
I think King Cavalier took over from G. Fred Asbell  than Ron Maulding and at the end one of the Nelson brothers , but I could be wrong.
No Country for Old Men

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
I own two Bighorn Ramhunter longbows (both from after Fred sold the company).  I then had a Ramhunterlongbow built for my son by Ron Nelson from Johnstown, CO (if memory serves me correctly).  He sold bows on the auction site.
It was also a great shooting bow.  I believe the Nelson brothers worked for Fred Asbell when he owned the company.  Ron's brother (his name escapes me) passed away and I think Ron wound up selling the company to another owner, but they soon went out of business.  

All that said, to say you should really like that bow.  They were good shooters!

Mike

Offline ca

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 02:49:00 AM »
I think I was wrong above, when reffering to Ron Maulding.
Glenn Nelson was Fred's head bowyer for a period of time up until Fred later sold the company to King Cavalier (KOM) around '91-92 .  Glenn's brother, Ron Nelson, also worked for Bighorn as a bowyer. The Nelson's left Bighorn at some point at or after the sale to KOM.I think they started Bowyers and Fletchers.
Glenn Nelson then went on to later build bows under the name North Star .I had two of them more or less Bighorns IMO.
Bighorns were made by KOM up until sometime around 2003 when Bud Boker purchased the bow making business. Ron Nelson worked for Bud as a bowyer up until Bud's  death.
No Country for Old Men

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »
:archer2:
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
I shot a BigHorn for many years. Mine was built by Fred in fact I own three of them. In the day they were considered one of the top bows. Very Very smooth drawing bow. They shot extremely well they hit where you were looking. (hang onto the bow they are starting to become hard to find)

Bill
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
When I decided to order my first custom bow in the late 80s I looked at what all the high profile hunters were shooting in their archery mag articles. A large percentage of them were shooting Bighorns so I decided this bow was what I wanted.

Wonderful bow, I shot it well. I ended up with three sets of limbs for it, I started light and went heavy.

When I started making selfbows in 96 I knew I couldn't commit to them unless I got rid of my Bighorn so I sold it and all the limbs.

My selfbow journey has been rewarding, I never regretted selling my Bighorn but it was one mighty fine bow.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
All good info......I was messing with it last night and I noticed something. Having hunted with my B riser Bear T/D most of this season this Bighorn feels a lot like it. Should make it easy to get familiar with.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »
Yes, the originals were shooters!
Saw a photo of Byron Ferguson with one, in the 80s!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
Ron, the reason you have a family feeling between Bighorn and Bear is because Fred started to build his bows when Bear discontinued making the Super Kodiak, Asbell preferred bor at that time
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
Thanks Felix, that explains it.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
My first custom bow was a big horn recurve. I bought it from King Cavalier the year G. Fred sold the company. Also my first deer was harvested with that bow.
Cedar shaft dipped in red with red feathers.
I'll never forget that day!!
I can still see the flight of that arrow.
I can hear that deer crash,I remember wondering what that sound was.
I can even remeber the smell of the broken shaft when I found it...
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »
Bighorns are great bows.  I have lots of them:^)

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
My first custom was an Asbell Bighorn. 66" 65lbs. I shot quite a few deer with that bow. I think it was built for me in 1984. One of my all time favorites.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
Killed my first traditional deer with a bighorn when I was 19 yrs old, it started my love for traditional archery. I dont have it anymore it was severely broken as was I on a fall from a treestand the third year I owned it but I loved that bow and it shot excellent, I should get me another   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©