3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wind proof mid layers?  (Read 648 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Wind proof mid layers?
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
I’m looking for some kind of mid layering top and bottom to cut the wind.
Seems everyday is windy anymore and I’m freezing my butt off. I want something I can put under some leafy wear or my wool plaids. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jason

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wind proof mid layers?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Golf windshirt.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
The Asbell High Neck Fleece Wind Blocker Vest is incredible.... Higher neck in the Back, lower in the front, can be rolled down if desired.... Will absolutely take your existing Jacket/vest to another level....

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks,
How bout the bottoms?

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
Just remember, the closer you put the "wind blocker" to your skin the less effective it is.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Just remember, the closer you put the "wind blocker" to your skin the less effective it is.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by KAZ:
The Asbell High Neck Fleece Wind Blocker Vest is incredible.... Higher neck in the Back, lower in the front, can be rolled down if desired.... Will absolutely take your existing Jacket/vest to another level....
X2!

Love mine and I have an Asbell wind blocker vest as well. Both are in my bag every time I go out.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
Wouldn’t it be more effective to have the wind block layer over the wool? What good is the insulation after the cold wind has passed through it?
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Yes, and as much as I love it, there in lies the problem with wool.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
I’m sure the Wind Blocker layer would be best on the outside, however l’ve had great performance with it immediately under my Asbell Wool Products... Then I get the camo/Light absorbing wool on the outside... I have an Evening Stand Green Mackinaw Pullover with the Cape/hood, plus I have an Evening Stand Brown Hoodless vest  I can wear alone or between the Mackinaw Pullover & Cape that works nice... This system is very versatile and with Under Armor Cold Gear &/Or Merino Wool Underlayers  it’s pretty warm...  I’ve even doubled up the Fleece Wind Blocker vest on really cold days, wow that’s warm...

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
What I was referring too is exactly what KAZ said, just under the outer layer. Merino wool will be next to my skin, just need something to break the wind and not spend a crazy amount of money.
Thanks

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
I've done the golf wind breaker top and bottom under my wool and My rain gear is a suede and very quiet, I've used it a lot over my wool and it works best with no noise. The wind breaker setup is good, though just not quite as good as the rain gear.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
A golf windshirt works well right under my wool jacket, but over my merino base layer and a merino wool sweater. If it's really windy, Cabela's sells a windblocker sweater that replaces my standard wool jacket. You may have to look in the waterfowling section to find it.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »
I have a rain suit by Herters (I believe) that I got at Cabelas for about $60 on sale.  It is soft almost like a microfleece on the outside and quiet while the inner layer is kind of plasticy like a windbreaker material of sorts.  It blocks wind like a mad dog and doubles as a rain layer as needed.  The last time I went shopping for a "windproof" layer I put my hand on the back side of the sleeves of various garments and just blew right through the cloth.  I figured if I can blow through it so can wind.  The only things that I found that I couldn't blow right through were the rain coats.

I've found that in most winter weather here in Arkansas, having that on adds more warmth for the weight/bulk than any other garment I've ever owned or tried.  I don't really think it in and of itself has much if any insulating properties but the windproof barrier helps to keep my body heat against my body and from escaping unlike what happens in fleece, wool, down, etc.  For the majority of the season I'm comfortable in just a tshirt, button up, fleece vest, and my rain jacket up top and a pair of pants and rain pants down bottom.  Its truly incredible how much less clothing you need when the drafts can't rob you of heat.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 02:02:00 AM »
It does sound like some of you get it.  Think of how a house is built.  The tyvek wrap goes on the outside to keep the wind away from the insulation.  Your clothes should do the same.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
I have an original Scent Lok suit that was worn as an under garment. If you can find one you can't get a better wind breaker. It is absolutely quiet and who knows, it may even help with scent control.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
Wool doesn’t reflect light like synthetic, it’s warm and quiet and all, but definitely sucks in wind if you’re sitting.  So I decided to make my own    :D   I bought material and goretex.  I have not been happy with what’s available at any outlet. Outer layer wool, then goretex then my warm layers..

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
Sounds like a great way to go Overspined.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
It really depends on the wool fabric. Most wool in the US us loosely woven fabric. Mostly blanket style wool. Fluffy insulator but open to wind.
Loden wool fabric is way different. And Loden is not the synonym for green.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by BAK:
It does sound like some of you get it.  Think of how a house is built.  The tyvek wrap goes on the outside to keep the wind away from the insulation.  Your clothes should do the same.
You are right, but the tyvek goes under the siding. I’m looking for a wind blocker and still be able keep that curb appeal! :0)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©