3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Deer grinder?  (Read 610 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Deer grinder?
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
Had a deer run into my arrow now i want to grind him!!
Looking at Cabela since thats where i have points, anybody got any experience with those. i 'll be grinding mostly deer hamburger, kibbeh, and Boudin
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Deer grinder?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
I borrowed a Cabelas grinder a couple of years ago that worked great.  I have since bought my own but got a deal on a #12 Chard grinder at the local farm store and am real happy with it.  When looking at grinders get a motor as big as you can afford and a throat size of #12 or larger.  A #8 (smaller) will work but it takes longer to grind a lot of meat and the motors are usually smaller.  The one nice thing about Cabelas is that if it's their own brand it will have a lifetime warrantee.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
Thanks Pete! nice info on the throat size.  #12 or larger. I rather have too much grinder than not enough.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I've got the 1.5 hp Cabelas and it works great.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
We have had our Cabela's for several years without any problems.

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
Get a LEM big bite #32. Built to last as long as you will have it. Will grind 3 times faster.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »
Joey I have a 1 hp from Cabelas - makes easy short work on all animals - mine is about 20 years old and looks new and gets used a few times each year.
<><
<----------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 04:21:00 PM »
I use a #32 with a 1hp motor. Huge throat size. Not as nifty as a 1 piece, more parts to clean up but it sure zips through meat and costs a lot less to purchase.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
I just purchased an LEM this fall it is the #8 .35hp, it has done a good job so far I have put 2 deer through it and have a 3rd waiting.  As said above the smaller throat makes it necessary to cut meat up into smaller chunks, but it has worked great. If you plan on doing a lot of grinding you will want to look at the grinders with the large throats, and bigger motors.  Good luck and happy grinding.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
Buddy of mine has the Cabela's 2hp. We used it this weekend and it's a beast.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
I got one of the smallest, most basic grinders available to start out with because I didn't know if I wanted to continue to process all of my own meat.  I plan to keep at it.  I now wish I would have bought a grinder with a larger motor.  The smaller throat size isn't that big of a deal to me as it just means my chunks have to be a bit smaller, but the small motor makes it slow and laborious compared to the other small grinder with a much larger motor that I've tried.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
I have a Cabelas 1/2 horse and have ground hogs and probably 50-60 deer with it with great results. However I wish I wouldn't have been a tight wad and ponied up for one of the bigger ones.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
I too have a Cabelas 1/2 hp and I couldn't be happier. It grinds and stuffs sausages extremely well. If I was buying again, I'd buy the same one.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
I'd have to agree with the LEM!!! My brother in-law has a huge one for his farm to do his meat. Does a couple cows, 3-4 pigs, and as many deer as we get, every year. The darn thing never burps, and spits out meat like crazy!!!
He bought it refurbished from LEMs, about 5-6 years ago. Saved about $200 and it has a lifetime warranty!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
I picked up a refurbished 1.5hp grinder at a huge discount from Weston. Works fantastic.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
I have a $99 unit from Northern Tools.  Have had it for about 14 years.  Between my brother, brother-in-law and myself it is used about once a year for elk or deer.  It has done everything I want it to do.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
I am an old farm boy who has been butchering and using grinders of every type for 50 years: hand-cranked, home made, and commercial.

I finally researched carefully a few years ago and bought the LEM 3/4 HP (has a #12 throat, as mentioned above).  This thing is EXCELLENT, eats goods sized chunks of deer meat faster than I can shovel it down the throat, and gives excellent, consistent grind quality.  Found it on sale for $100 off, and it has been a great purchase.

I would heartily recommend it!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
Joey, bring that stuff over to my house and i'll grind it for you?
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
www.lemproducts.com

Specializing in everything meat processing.If they don't have it then you don't need it.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »
LEM #8.   Burnt up the smaller ones doing too many deer thru them. Had this LEM for about 8 years and done close to 100 thru it. (I process friends deer too).  Has held up extremely well.  I think cabelas might have one comparable.   Dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©