3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack Frame For Elk Hunting & Work-Out  (Read 795 times)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Pack Frame For Elk Hunting & Work-Out
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
I have a pack frame, that I got from Cabelas. It seems like it's sturdy enough.  It's all aluminum, and it's the Alaskan outfitter guide series.

This is the second one I've had, I'm wondering if this is strong enough to pack out an elk ? I've seen alot of guys have used them for doing that very thing.  They just say it gets the job done.

Anyone have first hand knowledge of it ?

Thanks

Carl

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack Frame For Elk Hunting & Work-Out
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
Yep I used one for years and packed a lot of elk with it.  I think it's out in the shed somewhere now.  

Switched to an internal frame Kifaru when I started hunting Alaska as I where it all day every day up there.

Get yourself a cargo net for strapping meat down to the frame and your good to go.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
If it is one of the newer models they carry a load very nicely. My older one is 25 + years old and still does the job but not nearly as comfortable as the newer ones. My brother has one that's probably 7-8 years old and does well.  His has a pocket built in that has buckles and straps to cinch down meat loads without cargo net or lashing.  I went to an Outdoorsmans optic hunter pack and love it.  It has a flexible plastic external frame that flexes with your body and you can remove the pack in about a minute.  It has a built in meat hauling pocket on the frame too.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »
This one has straps and buckles under the platform that folds down in a pouch. There is like a mini tarp, it pulls out and buckles around the top frame. I imagine it is for holding the meat in or the cargo you are hauling. The padding on the straps for your hips are well padded.  I purchased it last year in the fall.

Now if I can hire someone to wear it and pack the meat LOL

I just keep thinking that's an awful lot of meat.  It takes two years for my wife tonight finish off one doe.  My last Doe was 155 lbs. And that lasted about two years for us.  (slow eaters ! )

Carl

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
You need to chew faster!   That frame will do you a great job. Now you just have to get one on the ground and the hard work begins.  It's nice to have a young lad or 2 with a strong back in camp just in case you do get one.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
Don't worry you'll eat elk a lot faster then deer.  It's a lot better.  Heck an elk is nothing.  Try packing a moose.  550 pounds of boned out meat plus a 60# rack.

note: we haven't eaten beef since we started bringing moose home.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
I got this pack, about a year ago.  I purchased it to do walking campsites up north deer hunting with bow.  I just checked on Cabelas website, they don't even offer it anymore.  The ones that are on there are really cheap ones.  I think it's because the other guys B***p** bought them out.  This one here would be great for hauling the deer boned out.  I've been thinking about moving to South Dakota.  The black tails are a little bit bigger than the White tail in some areas. And South Dakota is closer to elk hunting.  It's good to have quality stuff, specially at my age.

Carl

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
I think it will work OK, but you need to work out with it with variable weight prior to trip. I have the Cabelas Instinct frame which I used to pack out a moose. Mike

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
One thing I suggest is never have just on pack frame if you can. Having a buddy with one shortens the trips made.

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 03:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by DeerSpotter:
.......  I just checked on Cabelas website, they don't even offer it anymore.  The ones that are on there are really cheap ones.  I think it's because the other guys B***p** bought them out.  This one here would be great for hauling the deer boned out. .....
Carl
I bought mine two years ago (i've got 'skunked' these past two years as well....) and love it. I am so glad i got one before Cabela's discontinued 'em. They're still available, but ya gotta buy it with the pack-sack (i think it was $299 for the "set").

I have pro-quality expedition mountaineering packs (Gregory Denali Pro and the Petit Dru Pro as well) and a mid-sized climbing pack and choose to use my Cabela's pack frame for when i'm hunting.

I train with it and just really have a lot of confidence with it.

If you want the creme da la creme in backpacks, look up Dan McHale's packs. The best packs available anywhere....but they're spendy...
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 03:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by bucknut:
If it is one of the newer models they carry a load very nicely. My older one is 25 + years old and still does the job but not nearly as comfortable as the newer ones. My brother has one that's probably 7-8 years old and does well.  His has a pocket built in that has buckles and straps to cinch down meat loads without cargo net or lashing.  I went to an Outdoorsmans optic hunter pack and love it.  It has a flexible plastic external frame that flexes with your body and you can remove the pack in about a minute.  It has a built in meat hauling pocket on the frame too.
Yup 1+ on the Outdoorsman's plastic frame that flexes with you.  Been using this frame for a while now and it's really quite comfy with a load.   Recently added a Bison Gear Lost River bag to the frame.  After all these decades of trying to find the right combination, I think I've finally found the sweet spot.  Outdoorsman's pack frame combined with the Lost River bag is just big enough to hold what needs holding during the hunt and still have a full external frame to hump out the weight after success.  The Meat bag is perfect.  I got rid of the pack straps from the Bison Gear and mounted direct to the plastic frame with extra long straps to losen, so as to pack meat aboard onto the frame.
Another good option that nearly made the cut for me is the Barney's of Alaska Frontier Gear Pack with aluminum frame.  Nice unit but the rigid nature of the frame just didn't do it for me....a bit confining.  I couldn't shoot with the pack frame on.  Outdoorsman's plastic flex frame is good to go while shooting...   :archer:  

Far and away the best way to man-hump out an elk is via sled though.  If there's snow the sled is the way to go....but that's another topic.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
OK<>OK<>OK    :scared:  

Maybe I'll lose a pound or two, I'll drop rocks on the way    :biglaugh:
I'll start first thing tomorrow, okay maybe Monday !  

I'll keep you informed,

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »
Any advice on working out with a frame pack. Or isn't necessary !

What's the best routine ! I would imagine starting slow and working up to carrying 50 75 lb wt ? Can you give me some ideas what you do.

Thanks

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:00 AM »
I have that same pack frame. Last year I killed an elk, fair sized 5x5. ,my buddy had the same frame. We got the whole elk out in one trip with the two of us packing but did have to go back for the rack. We just left ours in camp till the kill was made, hiked out, got the pack frames, and went back for the meat and horns.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
I do think the best way to go would  be with a friend.  There is always safety that way.  And a better way would be three of you.  One elk one trip.

I've heard of some guys using ATVs, I don't know how that would be, except disturbing to the wilderness.  We want it to be untouched as much is possible.  Any areas that would have ATVs would have population too.  As in high-pressure hunting area.  

If you find something that's difficult and master it, you won't find many other people doing the same thing.  People wanted easy and fast nowadays.

Elk hunting and easy doesn't go in the same sentence very good. !

Carl

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
I've packed plenty of elk with mine. I have the bag on mine and a hind quarter slides right in it, even a quarter from a 6pt bull.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
Find some local hiking trails, go to Home Depot and get a 40-50# bag of play sand, load her up and get moving up and down hills, no flat sidewalk. Then two bags for a while, when you get to three you are getting real. Get you a surplus duffel bag to load your weight in, it's easier to strap to your frame.
  Most people think about climbing but navigating steep downhill on uneven terrain with a heavy load is no joke and a skill to be learned.
 In the gym I use a Stairmaster Gauntlet, which will wear you out with nothing, but I wear a weight vest.
Lots of core exercise, planking sucks but it works. Legs may be moving you but the load hangs on your back.
 There is a good series of videos on Youtube titled "Elk Shape".
 Thinking about it won't work, gotta get moving.
Good Luck    :)
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
Thanks David

That's about as real as it gets, until you get into the mountains. My first thought after reading that, yes prepare.  But if it happens, try and take your shot in the morning ! So you got enough time to make twice as many trips as the average guy !!!  But you know what they say about plans !  You can never count on it , because Elk is in charge.

Thanks for your adevice, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Carl

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
I'll start packing sand around again and hiking the mountains here in NC real soon, hopefully for a fall trip back to AK before I get too old.
You'll learn a lot about adjusting your pack in the process and it's best to do all that early on and close to home, surprises and disappointments on a hunt you don't need.
 Oh yea, you'll be in the dark at least part of the time, it must be some kinda rule because it always happens that way. A quality head lamp will keep your hands free while working and for your poles while packing.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by DeerSpotter:
  But if it happens, try and take your shot in the morning ! So you got enough time to make twice as many trips as the average guy !!!  But you know what they say about plans !  
Carl,
That's why they make headlamps! You can pack meat all night!!    :)

Where are you going to be elk hunting?
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©