3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack Frame For Elk Hunting & Work-Out  (Read 794 times)

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack Frame For Elk Hunting & Work-Out
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by DeerSpotter:
Thanks David

That's about as real as it gets, until you get into the mountains. My first thought after reading that, yes prepare.  But if it happens, try and take your shot in the morning ! So you got enough time to make twice as many trips as the average guy !!!  But you know what they say about plans !  You can never count on it , because Elk is in charge.

Thanks for your adevice, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Carl
If i've had a bit of time in between training cycles, i start out with ~35lbs in the pack. I will use that weight for a couple weeks until i can really open up my stride.

I've found too much weight at first becomes discouraging and puts too much "new" stress on my aging joints.

I live in a very hilly area here in CO so can manage to get some good hill-work in.

Either way, i love my Cabela's pack frame - it's really comfy even when my training weight gets over 50lbs and distances approach 5 miles.
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
You'll be fine, the sooner you get started the easier it'll be. Set regular short term goals and keep a training log, look back on it every couple of weeks to see how you have progressed and where you need to make changes. You will get out of it what you put in.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »
I do/did a lot of working out with a pack. Here are just a few suggestions...
Start lighter and leave it on for a while to get used to it.
Use supportive boots so your ankles and feet dont get hurt.
Increase your weight and start taking longer walks.
Do inclines. (Important) Hills, and steps both up and down.
After some time keep increasing weight and time with it on.
Final goal=Heavier weight then you'll be doing and longer time.
You will get in good shape in more ways than you know and it will make hunting a blast!
Your pack frame will work fine but there are more comfortable options...

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
The first time I was going to go elk hunting it was in  last part of Sept.2008.  I backed out of it because the price keep going up,  it was over $4000 at that time, and he wasn't even a guide.  It started out to be in Colorado, and then it changed New Mexico.  So I got suspicious.

I think my best option would be to go with someone who has been there and done it before. Someone wanting to do  DIY.  When I was going to go before, it's just like now.  There are so many helpful people on this website. That's what makes this site so great.  And what good would it be if I went to elk hunting by myself.  Those kind of moments should be shared with someone.  And strangers are just friends you have not met yet !

So now it comes down to the commitment, thank you for all the advice. I'm retired so I got plenty of time to

"do some training"

This is my second Pack frame from Cabelas, and this one is one of the newer models. It is a little more comfortable than the older style.

Thanks again

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I started out with a 45lb weight lifting plate strapped to my pack. It worked really well. You can add plates as you progress. Don't forget about your boots. Hauling meat with sloppy foot wear is no fun. Make sure you have foot wear with solid support.

The most beneficial leg workout for me was squats. Started with low weight and moved up.
Good luck

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
I have a Total Gym I am trying to wear it out. On the highest setting number 12, it makes your legs burn. There is a place fora  bar for extra weight.  It takes a very good attitude to keep at it on a continual basis, on a regular schedule. I think the combination of the 2 the TG and the frame pack, will definitely over tone me. I think by the time it's over, I will have things toned  I don't I  know I had !

Carl

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Walking is one of the simplest and best things you can do for yourself, walking with a seriously loaded pack frame, even better. Elk quarters are heavy, moose quarters are really heavy. Start load-wise where you need to, but don't plateau out at a lower weight thinking that it'll be just fine. Before your hunt you need to have been carrying the same weight AND more than you will be packing out, for miles. Be physically over prepared, it'll pay back more dividends than easier meat transport.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
One thing I would share is don't over do it. Almost had to cancel a trip because of this. Aggravated my knee to the point I could barely walk without a pack.  Doc saved me with a shot luckily and I still made the trip and killed a nice 6x6.  Heavy weights with boots on hard surfaces sometimes don't go well together. I know everyone is saying push yourself, but also know your limitations.  You aren't 25 any more.  It is better to have the ability to make a few more lighter weight trips than none at all!

Just my opinion,
John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Thanks John,

I know exactly what you're talking about.  When I started to do a workout six months ago on my total gym, I push myself and hurt my knee.  There's a side movement that they show you can do with your knees and it works on your inner thighs.  But if you do too much too hard too fast, you end up hurt.  It took about four months to stop hurting from just walking on it.  I don't like taking shots of that Cortizone stuff.  I've done enough of that with my back.  Sometimes the shots are hit or miss.  I will take it easy, but you guys on this site got me excited about working out.

Somebody said something about working out in a football stadium. Going up the stairs one way and down another way.  Have you ever tried going up and escalator the wrong way ??? I think it would work early in the morning, but not this time of year ! That be like running uphill and the top keeps disappearing.  

Again to all of you thanks.

Carl

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
I do this every year getting ready for AK moose hunting.  Start slow and build slow.  I'm 66 and will be 67 when in camp this fall.  Currently I'm doing 3 miles a day in boots.  I have bad knees from sports and have found that copper fit sleeves help a bunch so I wear them.  I do 19 minute miles on mixed hills and flats in the neighborhood.  About February I'll up the distance and pace.  Will do 18 minute miles 4 miles a day.

In April, I add my pack at 20 #s to the load.  Two weeks at 20 and then add 5#. Work up to 40# and hold there.  I end up dropping 20 pounds of body weight during the April through August time frame.

Sept 1st I back it off to walking  without the pack to keep from hurting myself.  Fly out to AK on Sept 9 for 3  weeks.

It's worked for me for the last 10 years and I'm stronger now then when I was 55.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
Carl you have inspired me, I strapped some weight to the Bull-Pac this morning and did a 4.8 mile loop around one of the local Mountain Bike trails. Weather permitting I'm going to try and keep that up a couple times a week through the winter in addition to my regular workouts.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
I have been a proponent of weighted packs for years; but over the last couple of years I have migrated more towards the easy-of-use of weight vests.  

My wife added a 44 lb. vest as a Christmas present this year and I love it.  I also add 6 lb. ankle weights sometimes, but would suggest caution if one decides to adds these.  They can alter your gait quiet a bit and can lead to injury.

I do controlled runs, mountain trail force marches, or just long walks around my neighborhood.  I pretty much incorporate this, along with regular weight training and running through out the year now.  Even a quarter to half mile jog added to your hike, can get your heart rate UP, UP, UP.  Again, start slow and work your way up and phase this type training in slowly but surely.

At 54; it is much easier for me to transition from general fitness to getting fit for upcoming elk hunts at high elevation.  With the very cold temperatures we are getting right now, weighted packs are also perfect for short/slow jogs and double time pace workouts, because you can get your heart rate up pretty quickly.  It's 9 degrees here in Central AR this morning and I will probably try to get a 30-minute trail hike in today. This type routine can go a long ways towards keeping your fitness level on par during the off season.

This stuff pays off big dividends in overall fitness and injury prevention, come time to hit the big woods on that dream hunt!  Salute!!

"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 03:55:00 PM »
I Think I will hold off on that  !  It's a Little above my bracket right now.  But it looks like a good idea after you have built up some stamina.  

My wife is feeling sorry for me, she sent me a video on elk hunting
IN SD.  No higher elevation, no grizzlies, not very many black bears, but I don't know if you can get a license (nonresident).  I've had two encounters with black bears.  And that's enough !

I didn't know South Dakota had elk. It's probably pretty limited. It sure wouldn't give you the experience of hunting in the Big Woods of Co. !

Carl

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 05:47:00 PM »
Like others have said, start light and build upboth weight and distance. A couple pointers from my experience...
1. Trekking poles, sissy sticks, ski poles, whatever you want to call them. For me, they are a MUST any time I have a load on my back. They help a little bit with going uphill, but where the shine is stability. When you have two 70lb bags of meat on your back and a rock rolls out from under your foot trekking poles are what will save you from a knee or ankle injury. I also wear sturdy boots any time I have a load on my back. Same reasons apply.
2. Above 50 lbs is where you'll see some packs excell and some fail. In the past I've used the Cabelas frame to pack in 5gal pails of native trout to restore populations in headwater streams that the stocking truck can't get to. My experience is that's about the limitation of comfort and stability for that frame. I use a Kifaru frame for hunting and have friends that use the Outdoorsmans, Stone Glacier and Seek Outside packs with good success.
3. Sandbags work great for a load since the sort of mimic a bag of boned out meat. Get some truck or small tractor tubes that have been discarded. Find the hole and cut the tube in half next to it. Cinch up the tube material and put a hose clamp (I use two) to close off that end. Now turn the tube inside out so those hose clamps are inside atvthe bottom of your "bag". Fill with sand (whatever you can find cheap locally, don't get fancy) to the desired weight (make a few lighter bags so you can adjust pack weight by adding or removing load). Cinch off the top at the level of the sand and hose clamp it off. Cut off the excess tobe to make another sandbag and put some tape around the clamp so it doesn't poke you or the bag you put it in.
4. Kill two birds with one stone. Where a loaded pack to walk the dog. I think Mike Mitten said he mows the lawn in boots with a pack on his back. Stadium stairs are good, but start with a lighter load and focus on posture to prevent injury. Vary your loads and your pace. Don't just do the same loop with the same load over and over again. Take some light days and have some heavier, longer days. If you can find some rolling hills. If there's a hill where kids go sledding, that's a good spot for some hill climb repetitions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©