3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rancho safari long coat  (Read 501 times)

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Rancho safari long coat
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
Looking to buy one of these and i was wondering what color you guys like. There are 4 different colors to pick from.  I hunt in pine and hardwoods in Virginia. Thanks Craig
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rancho safari long coat
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
ttt
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 02:02:00 AM »
Craig,

I hope some others will chime in, but wanted to be sure you got at least one opinion...

I have had a long coat for about 10 years, and like it very much.  I went with the 4 seasons pattern with the idea of making it work in a lot of different environments.  I still think it was the best choice for me.

One nice thing about this gear... it is eminently usable in which ever format you choose, but also easily adaptable/convertible by adding in cloth strips of whatever background you want to blend with more closely.  A few strips of cloth and a needle and thread, and you can match about anything.

I have never done anything to my Rancho coat except the original trimming of the bow arm sleeve and left chest.  Hiding your shape is the prime job, and the coat and ghillie hat do that well, regardless of the color you pick.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 07:58:00 AM »
Thanks friend! 4 seasons is actually the one that i liked.
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
Craig, pm sent.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
I've been following this as well... and was hoping for some more opinions too...

I've looked and looked at the website but they really don't show the different patterns  or what they are made out of...

I'm very allergic to the jute and burlap... holds too much dust or something it in... I get around it and I sneeze my head off...

I would love to see some of the synthetics they have available and how they look...

Their website is a bit confusing for this simple fellow...

Hoping for some more responses and even pictures if possible...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
mine was called the ultra light.  There is less " stuff" on it ( sparser ) and there is no string or burlap.  Mine was just swatches of cloth.  I am very much thinking of buying another that is in green ( early season) and to use both, as conditions warrant.    

The swatches on mine were very light tan and I never did like it so I put brown RIT dye and almost boiling water into a spray bottle, hung it up outside, and changed the color to suit my taste.  It looks just like fallen brown leaves now.  Have had numerous deer and loads of birds and such mistake me for nothing this past year.

Early season, green might be better.  Once leaves turn brown, especially oak leaves, the brown is much better.... to my way of thinking.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks guys
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
Mine has a lot of green in it and it's great for early season but for late season, I use this ghilli/ heater body suit.

Eventually, I want to make a rancho safari blind. I have bought material and will probably make it over winter.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »
Mine has a lot of green in it and it's great for early season but for late season, I use this ghilli/ heater body suit.

Eventually, I want to make a rancho safari blind. I have bought material and will probably make it over winter.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
Stalker,

I assume you converted a cloth HBS to the ghillie combo?  How did you go about that?

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
I ordered the netting, shoe glue, jut online. Got some camo burlap locally and ordered some rancho Safari material. I glued and sewed the netting to the heater body suit then got to tying. On the ground, dead leaves stick to the jute.                            

I also made a draw shield but would rather have a blind with solid draw shields.

I also use a millennium swivel chair.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
I have 2 of the long coats by RS. Both were purchased in the TG classifieds. The first was an older version which is primarily tan. Thank you Walt Francis. This is great when the grass is high and tan in color during the late season in Texas/Oklahoma. The second is the newer, lighter weight 4 season camo, which I got from Scott Dillon, AKA "Carcajou". If I could only have one it would be the 4 season camo.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©