3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thought I had my longbow well tuned and quiet.......Not.  (Read 300 times)

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
Thought I had my longbow well tuned and quiet.......Not.
« on: December 15, 2017, 01:44:00 AM »
I've been shooting wooden arrows exclusively for the last 8 or 10 years, and get great results and enjoyment shooting them. After using them for this long, I thought I had this wooden arrow tuning thing pretty well sorted out.

Turns out we're never too old to learn something.

Although I don't shoot it as much as my heavy bow, I thought I had my 55# longbow set up and tuned quite well, and I thought it was pretty quiet too.

After getting some curious (to me) bare shaft flight with it a week or so back, I posted about it here on tradgang. Some of the feedback got me thinking about tuning, and strings.

I'd been using my bow manufacturers stock 14 strand D97 strings and they have been good, but on a whim I tried an 18 strand BCY-X string.

Man-oh-man, that new string has made such a big difference. It's now a different bow. The arrows are definately flying better, and the bow is noticeably quieter too. I thought it was pretty quiet before, but now the arrow hitting the hay bale at 20 yards sounds louder than when the arrow is released.

Before, there was the occasional little left/right tail wriggle as the arrow flew downrange (still a tad too weak methinks now), but as they were shooting pretty good holes through paper more often than not, I assumed it was just me with a poor release. The few left or right "fliers" I put down to my much less than perfect form.

Turns out maybe it wasn't such a poor release or average form after all. Maybe the arrows were just on the edge, OK but not properly tuned as well as I had thought they were.

Probably should have thought of this before, because I've always shot my other, heavier bow considerably better than this one. Brain can be a bit slow sometimes.

Anyway, now with this new string, that occasional tail wriggle is GONE, and the arrows make bullet holes in the paper pretty much ALL the time, from 6 feet back to 24 feet, and every 3 feet between.

On the target bale, my first four arrows at 20 yards made a tight 2" group. In fact all of the two dozen shots I had at that distance could have been covered with the palm of my hand, all right on the aiming mark too.

And it wasn't just a once off good day either, it's been shooting like that every day for a week now, with at least a couple of dozen arrows every day.

Walk up/walk back one shot shooting practice has never been so much fun, from about 5 yards to around 33 yards, the shots all seem to stay within a couple of inches either side of the vertical line. Any little discrepancies up or down are purely my fault, and they are getting less and less.

Like I said earlier, I thought I had my two bows tuned fairly well, but now my tuning benchmark has definately been raised.

I've had an 18 strand BCY-X string on my heavy bow, a 75# longbow, for about 12 months and I KNOW I've got that one tuned spot on. It shoots so extremely well and is very quiet. But I'm keen to shoot it along side the 55# now.

Although it might take a while longer before I get to shoot my big bow, I've only worked back up to the 55#er after shoulder surgery 4 months ago.

I'm not exactly sure what changed when I changed strings. Thinking about it, maybe it made the arrows dynamic spine a little stiffer, but at the moment, honestly I'm not really concerned with what changed. The bow just shoots so good now, and I'm enjoying shooting it immensely.

Rest assured though, I have certainly recorded all the details of the string, brace height, silencer positions etc for future reference.

Never thought string material could make such a noticeable difference.

A happy coincidence perhaps, but I'll take it. I've never shot this bow so well, consistantly.

Thanks again to Chad and Daniel for sharing your infomation on strings and  making them.

Best

Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thought I had my longbow well tuned and quiet.......Not.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
I have found the same thing with my bows , much quieter with bcy - x string
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
Funny you posted this, Alex.  

I have heard two different stories from guys.. some under the impression that a different string wont make any noticeable difference and others who swear that their new string made their bow "way quieter".  

I would encourage everyone to do their own testing to see what their findings are, but mine have been the same as yours.

Glad it is working out for you!  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Yep, bowstring makes a huge difference for both sound and accuracy.  This is why when I get a bow, I make and extra string or two and "shoot them in" with about 100 shots, then fine tune, each string.  Now I have a spare.  Also, usually after 2-3 years, change the string and you will be amazed at how quiet "the new broke in string" is compared to the one you take off.  When I do this, I make 2 more.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
strings make a big difference in sound, spine tolerance and how the shot feels.

By the way Daniel makes excellent strings, very high quality.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©