3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Vintage" broadheads  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Vintage" broadheads
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 08:30:00 AM »
I still use Deltas I guess vintage heads for a vintage hunter.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
The packaging hasn't changed in many years, this goes back at least to the '70's and I think well before that, usually orange or green in color.  Construction did change about 10 years ago.  Zwickey went from all welded to a spot weld and copper braze.  Steel stills seems to be the same, good stuff.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
The packaging has changed,they now come in a 3 pack blister pack.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »
The screw ons come in three packs for the benefit of carbon arrow shooters.  A compound hunter field dressed and carted a deer out that my wife shot, with an original Grizzly and the next year, he helped with one shot with with an Eskimo.  He explained that he did not understand how she could get so much power out of her arrows, because his mechanicals never did what her's did.  He got the Zwickeys, then before the next deer season, he got a recurve, then he had me make him some wood arrows, then he came over and asked he could borrow my cargo trailer and deer cart.  This year I ran into three compound shooters, two using Zwickey Eskimos, word gets around and all kinds of things happen.  One asked if it would be possible to shoot a deer with a Bear Super Grizzly, because he just bought one, from a tree stand.  I told him, yes, with a bit of a change from how you shoot.  The crazy buggers hauled a ladder stand out of their pickup and tied it to a power pole, illegal.  I had three blunts, I asked, "How far are you from your deer trail?"  One paced off 15 yards and set a water bottle down. I hit it twice with my severely canted longbow and close with the third. A couple of weeks ago the third came by asking for sharpening instructions.  He was going to put some on his carbons.  He was shocked how easy it was to make, his words, 'antique crap work so good'.  I let him shoot a Pro Hunter Wing that came back to me, after some instruction.  Then showed him some wood arrows with Eskimos, hills, Grizzlies and Rib Tecs on them.  He had never handled a wood arrow with a broadhead before.  I love that glazed eyes look that the young hunters get when they have their first contact with traditional archery.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »
Zwickey's are great heads but I hate the thick green paint they put on them. When I used them, I tossed them all in a jar of acetone to soak for 24 hours.  Paint came right off and the ferrules were clean. Now they are a really great head.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 03:04:00 PM »
They are ALL blister 3 packs now.  I liked the old paper packs if only because they had been around so long.  My signature was on those old packs.  I just like knowing "Down log blind at Misty River" was a real place with real stories for some long ago hunters.

We all have places like that.     :campfire:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©