3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Knife?  (Read 837 times)

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Knife?
« on: December 18, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
What knife do you carry when out trad hunting for deer?  Does it have a gut hook and a saw?  I'm thinking I'd like to get one that has 3 blades, one drop point, one saw blade and one gut hook.

I'd welcome any thoughts, experiences and suggestions.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Knife?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
Buck 110 folder. It has always done everything I have asked of it without complaints.
Skeater who?

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
I have a Gerber my dad gave me back in the early 90's I believe.  It is exactly what you are talking about...switches between the three blades.  I have never attempted to use the saw on an animal before as we always haul them back to camp to clean them where we have hangers, running water, and cordless reciprocating saws but I have used the drop point and the gut hook blade quite a bit.  I am not in love with the handle/grip on that knife and it is not winning a beauty pageant BUT it gets the job done ever time and doesn't take much touching up to get through a second deer if need be.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
A LaClair Skinner of coarse.     :goldtooth:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
No gut hook for me.  And for a saw I have a folding model that takes a Sawzall style wood pruining blade for working on ground blinds, etc.

This year I used a CRKT Hunt n'Fisch and give it high marks.  Though I put it in a "regular" style sheath.

I also like my Benchmade 201 Activator VERY much (if you have the patience to sharpen D2 it holds an edge long-time).

And about my favorite and most used is an ESEE Izula II with micarta scales I wear as a neck knife.  Small 2-3/4" blade but easy to get hair-popping sharp and small enough I can lay the spine along my index finger and "unzip" the belly and work inside easily.  Price is right as well.  

I also carry a regular Izula with the sheath attached to the inside of my day pack as a never-fail/never-misplaced knife of last resort.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
The latest is this little custom drop point from a maker in NC.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
My pack always has a razor sharp fixed blade knife with a 3" blade. I also carry a Kershaw pocket knife with a 2.5" blade. I have a pair of pruners in my pack as well.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
Case copperlock my wife gave me for Christmas 15 years ago.  Never needed a bigger knife.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
I have a Gerber straight knife and a folding Browning. Both have a blade about 3" long. I have never seen any special need for a gut hook. I have a saw, but it is not part of a knife combination.
Sam

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
In my pack I have a Becker BK-14, Havalon Piranta, Opinel #8, and a knife I made myself. I also have a a Becker BK-11 on my belt. Yes, I am a knife nut.

Jeremy

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
Buck woodsman. Best knife there is for deer. Folding knives are great too but a little extra to clean.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
So much depends on what I'm doing & where I'm going.  I usually have my daily carry pocket knife clipped to my pocket.  It's handy & always where I need it.  It does 95% of all my knife work.

I prefer fixed blades when doing anything other than a simple cut or two.  So I carry a fixed blade in my pack.  I recently picked up a small 2-2.5" fixed blade that I really like at a 3D shoot.  Haven't had a chance to work with it yet.  But I have a 3-4" cheap fixed blade (just a paracord-wrapped handle & nylon sheath) that worked well enough to pack out a deer.  It needed to be sharpened about halfway through.  It's light weight & gets the job done.  Only cost me about $10.  If I'm travelling light, I may only take this one & have it on my belt.

But if I'm going to be out a few days & off trail  a ways, I've sometimes opted for the beefy old AF survival knife I've had since I my early teens.  It's a chunk as far as knives go & about 10" overall.  But it's sturdy enough to take a beating.  I haven't been in any multi-day survival situations since I was 17 or 18 (I have better judgement and a better sense of direction than I did back then).  But if I were, I'd want that one with me.  It's thick & long enough to chop small branches (whacking the back of it with a stick) but not so big that it's impossible to gut a fish or something small.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
I keep a fixed blade in my bag, mainly for the tougher hide on pigs. It'a a Mora companion. I normally just skin deer with my Case pocketknife.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
A LaClair Skinner of coarse.       :goldtooth:    

My LaClair Skinner is my favorite knife of all time. It's my go to hunting knife, buy one and you can thank me later!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
Light My Fire Fireknife in stainless.  Mora's great stainless and a firesteel in a nice, light, sharp handy package.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
Have gutted, skinned and quartered around 50 hogs this year, plus a couple deer using a CRKT minimalist Bowie.  Very inexpensive, sharpens quickly on a RADA wheelie sharpener, weighs less than 2 oz. Doesn't hold it's edge as well as some knives, but plenty good enough for the gutting, then touch up at home for skinning, and usually a touch up before quartering.  Touch up takes around 5-10 seconds. I paid less than $30 for mine, and can either wear it as a neck knife or tie it on my pack.  Very compact.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
Saw blades on knife handles are usually too small to be of much use. I carry a separate small saw in my pack for brushing, cutting firewood, etc.  I like about a 4-inch drop point blade, no gut hook. I really don't like gut hooks.     :)

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
I currently have a ML Kephart on my belt and a LaClair Lil’ Shaver in my pack, sometimes on my neck. That LaClair is an absolute great knife and has skinned a couple deer, can’t count the number of coons, bunch of muskrats, and finally a coyote. Touch it up with a steel and it’s scary sharp.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
I recently purchased a Medford Elk Skinner. Great knife!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
My pack knife is very basic and it stays in my pack not on my belt...actually it was just donated &  sold at the PBS auction.  So I need to forge another one for myself...tippit

Sometimes they are a little prettier but still very basic...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©