3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Jig Options! Input Wanted!  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Luke Perring

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Jig Options! Input Wanted!
« on: December 20, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
I am finally taking the dive into wood arrows and I really want to just buy the shafts and do everything else myself. As for fletching jigs what are my best options? I want something that will work very adequately but not necessarily spend a fortune unless that’s the only way to go. Also I don’t know much about helical and how much it make a a difference. Thank you!
"He guides our steps, he guides our arrows home..."

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Jig Options! Input Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
I like BPE. Bitenzberger is the best,but they are about twice the money.

I have left,right,and straight clamps. I've started shooting four fletch helical. It puts a nice spin on the arrow.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
In my opinion don't mess with the others, just buy a used Bitzenburger and be done with it. You won't be disappointed. I like a pretty good amount of helical on my arrows. It seems to help stabilize the arrow a little faster.

John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
Look at Grayling jigs.  Very affordable, even with additional clamps.  I stopped using my Jo-Jan after I got the Grayling.  And I shoot 4-fletch with all the helical the jig can give.  Love them.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by bucknut:
In my opinion don't mess with the others, just buy a used Bitzenburger and be done with it. You won't be disappointed. I like a pretty good amount of helical on my arrows. It seems to help stabilize the arrow a little faster.

John
I agree with what John stated. Go ahead and buy the best one and be done with it. A good jig will last a lifetime, and turn out a quality job. Bitz it is!
Mark 1:17

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Bitzenburger all the way.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
Of course I will recommend the ones I have. I have two Blitz’s and two JoJan multi Fletchers. They were all bought used by the way.  They both have their own plus and minus. Both have a learning curve. But I have had them for 40 years+. Both companies offer excellent customer service as well.
 But like the man said above, find used one first no matter what one you want to try.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
I had a Grayling and used it for years. It worked well enough and was affordable.

But then I got a Bitzenburger for Christmas several years back and its fantastic. The Grayling is very similar to the Bitz as far as function and  adjustability. But the Bitz is much better made and easily adjustable.

Either will work, but if you have the coin go for a Bitz. You will only ever have to buy it once. And if you ever bail out of archery, you can sell it and recoup a bit of your investment.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Bitzenburger are my favorite, and Helical clamp. Go to their website and understand the features and options. I would not recommend another, but would try a Martin, or Bohning if you find a good one. Check the classifieds, here and others. Check dealers inventory.
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
The Bitz is better, one feather at a time.  The JO-Jan can lay down feathers just as well, but it takes a bit of experience.  Some years I make four or five dozen arrows.  A single Bitz would take me all summer.  I really screwed up years back when an archery shop shut down and had Bitz jigs 12 up on lazy susans. I was sick when I heard that the whole works sold for $50.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 07:07:00 AM »
Nothing but Bitz here,if you want a Jojan get on the stick as they shutdown a few months back.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 07:14:00 AM »
Bitzenburger Helical. Precise, adjustable, repeatable, and will last for a  long time....

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
Linked, good for you getting into making your own arrows. Bits are the best. But everything that is better than the rest just cost more. If you want to not invest a bunch to see if like making arrows you can always look for a deal on used. Or go with another type of jig. I’ve got 1 or 2 of the Bear Paw jigs. They work just fine. It’s Christmas...if you want I’ll send them to you at n/c you just pay the freight. PM me with your shipping address and I’ll get it out to you so you can get on with it!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by snag:
Linked, good for you getting into making your own arrows. Bits are the best. But everything that is better than the rest just cost more. If you want to not invest a bunch to see if like making arrows you can always look for a deal on used. Or go with another type of jig. I’ve got 1 or 2 of the Bear Paw jigs. They work just fine. It’s Christmas...if you want I’ll send them to you at n/c you just pay the freight. PM me with your shipping address and I’ll get it out to you so you can get on with it!
That's awesome of you Snag!    :clapper:
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
The Bitzenbergers are fine jugs, but I have better things to do with my time, so I use and prefer JoJan! I hate to hear they went out of business!

With a Bitz, it takes 12hrs to fletch one dz arrows. With the 2 JoJan multifletchers I have, I can fletch a dz arrows in just over an hour!! And I have about the same $$$ in two used JoJans that it would cost to buy one new Bitz.

Kudos to you Snag, for helping a brother out!!!!!

Bisch

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
I started out with one Bitz, I would fletch arrows while watching TV and the process didn't seem all that slow.

Then I bought another used one off fleabay, then another and another so I decided to make a lazy susan.

I always looked for bargains when buying the jigs  but did end up buying a bunch of LW nock receivers because my bargain basement jigs might have any kind of receivers in them.

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
What Bisch said. I ave had my JoJan for 18 years and it is still like new.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
I liked the Bitzenburger ok, but much prefer the bearpaw.  Only negative to bearpaw is the plastic clamps aren't as easy to clean the glue off of like the metal bitz jigs.

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I liked the Bitzenburger ok, but much prefer the bearpaw.  Only negative to bearpaw is the plastic clamps aren't as easy to clean the glue off of like the metal bitz jigs.
I saw 3rivers has a tape you can put on your clamps that makes glue clean up easier.  Also, a bath in acetone will clean up any CA glue (not sure what to use with other glues).  

I got a Goat Tuff fletching jig that was on sale at a sporting goods store that I had store credit at... I would not purchase again, but it is usable.  I'm now trying to keep an eye open for a used Bitz.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
Have used a JoJan multi fletcher I bought many decades ago and bought another one just two years ago. Takes a while to set up since I shoot many different arrows for all my bows, but they're bomb proof and do a good job.  Keep a spare single one in my tackle box.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©