3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you have a bucket list...???  (Read 1113 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do you have a bucket list...???
« on: December 21, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
Who out there has a bucket list of bowhunting. Bows you would like to own, trips or hunts that you have dreamed going on. Me.....I always wanted to hunt goats, those white coated critters just seem to lure me to the high country. But age and health issues will not ever let that happen now. I would be happy just to kill a deer at some point. So...... what do you dream of???
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you have a bucket list...???
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
Been after a bear here in Michigan for a quite few years. It took me 8 years to draw a tag this year. My son, cousin and I drew 1st season which is the good season as they can't run dogs the first five days.

Mine is kind of a sentimental story. Used a Bear Kodiak Hunter that my dad gave me in 69 when I got home from the Marines. He closed the archery shop down and saved that bow for me. I used that bow, an arrow that my dad killed a deer or bear with ( he never used the same arrow twice and left me over 100 bloody arrows) and a Black Diamond hunting point that he killed game with. I put my stand in the same tree that dad killed bear out of.  I got settled in around 4 pm, looked up to the sky and said, "help me out here pop". I saw bear at 5pm, 6pm and shot one at 7 yards at 7pm.  I look back to the sky with a tear in my eye and said, "thanks pop".  I just know he was with me. I never got excited, shot sitting down, lung shot and the bear went about 40 yards. It wasn't the biggest of the 3 bear but it was the only one that gave me a shot. We all shot bear, went 3 for 3 the first week.

So I guess that is off my bucket list.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
Cool Jon.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
I do - of hunts.

I will never do most of them. But when I am trying to make one happen  I tell my wife, "But honey, it is on my bucket list".

My second trip to Manitoba for bear was definitely a bucket list item!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
I got my brother started in traditional archery this year.  My bucket list is really only one thing - to retire before my body gives out, and spend a season hunting with him at his home in Wyoming.  Whitetails, Muleys, Elk, Moose - cover as many as we could!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
I gave up lists years ago. Got too frustrating.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
Good story Jon.  I'm glad you finally got a bear.  Thanks for sharing the story  :archer2:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
Pat B.......don't give up the list! Maybe just downsize it a bit.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Jon, that was a great story. Thanks for sharing. Truly moving.

My top two have always been Alaskan Moose, and African Kudu. I dont think I'll ever make it happen, but they will stay on top of my list. Bear and elk are my others that I believe may be more realistic for me.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
Newfoundland for moose & caribou, and Africa for Kudu and Oryx. And, obviously to hunt as long as I can.
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
Scratching one off my list this January in Texas on a PBS hog/javelina hunt. Can not wait.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
I had a bucket list, but I lost the bucket and cannot remember what was on the list.  I never got that drawing for mountain sheep or mountain goats, but I did enjoy trekking out that way to just watch them.  I made up a bunch of moose arrows, to hunt moose from a canoe, just to watch a lesser than super bull walk by and not shooting.  Bucket lists should be written out in pencil rather than pen.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
DIY Yukon Moose for me. That big animal just does something for me. I know they are big, slow and dumb, but I want one. Probably wont happen because of funding but it's still on the list.

Mountain goat is on the list too but it's even less attainable.

It sucks that when you have the health you don't have the funds and when you finally do get the funds the body has done gave out.

John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Unfortunately guys like Tom Miranda, Dennis Dunn, Fred Eichler, and others have inspired me so much that my bucket list looks pretty unrealistic as far as hunts I want to do. If I had to choose though, a big Alaskan moose is on my bucket list.

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »
A Goat hunt would be tops for me if I had the bank account deep enough. Reality is I might make it to CO for Mule Deer/Elk long before then..

Bows? Robertson Mystical or Purist in the 64" #47-#55 range would be my holy grail...
Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Robertson Stybow Mystical 66" #60@28"
Stalker Coyote FXT  RC 62" #53@29"

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
Black bear - That's why I'm heading back to Bear Quest in June.  I flirted with a big one all week in 2016, but never got a shot.

After that, I'd say caribou and elk, but I better get myself in shape for those.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
Casey = zmonster. Haven't seen your name in a couple of years. You out now and back home.  good to hear from you.

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
Dang Jon, if that doesn't top off and fill up a bucket, then nothing will. Thanks for sharing.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
Take a Bighorn Sheep with a recurve or longbow... and for a REALLLLY bucket list hunt, I'm holding out hope jaguar populations rebound and I can hunt them some day. Seriously, they are the coolest cat this side of the Bengal tiger!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:00 PM »
Bear, bison, ans Javelina

Javi hunt planned in two weeks...the others are yet to come
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©