3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little bit of a “Legend”. . . here in KS  (Read 2456 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
A little bit of a “Legend”. . . here in KS
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
I had three encounters with a buck this fall that became a bit of a "Legend" to me.  Not the biggest I have ever encountered but he had an impressive body- big neck, standing 8-10” taller than any other deer. He had a unique rack with mass like the handle of a baseball bat and a unique double G2  . . and most notable- he would have been 22” spread had it not been for his left beam, which was broken off at what looked to have been likely another double G2.  Having a few encounters with this same mature deer in different places as much as a mile from one another really got into my psyche.  After the first encounter at 35 yards his body and rack were imprinted on my mind.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little bit of a “Legend”. . . here in KS
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
I have passed broken racked deer before but this deer was just different.  Maybe it was because I did not harvest a beast buck last year. . .  Maybe times are changing and even this ground I have run on for 22 years was sold and the future for hunting it is questionable. . .Maybe aging and even the shoulder surgery this past Spring reminds me that my hunting days are numbered. . . Maybe being a bit old school with no cameras and managed feeding systems makes an encounter with such a beast a bit mesmerizing for me.  I don’t really know.  I had a good discussion with a few friends and even my 83 year-old dad about whether I should shoot him if I even had the chance.  So much consideration. . .  he gained a little “Legend” status in my mind
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »
November 10 arrived with temps in the low 20s and a perfect wind for one of my strategic locations I only hunt 1-2x per year.  As typical, I slipped in portable knowing that this would be an all-day sit with past memories of mid-day rut cruising bucks.  Early on I had some decent morning doe activity as they moved into their bedding grounds. . .  dogged by some small bucks.  The morning transitioned into early afternoon with no activity for a few hours.  I was keeping my surgically repaired drawing shoulder (from April) limber by slowly stretching a bungee cord occasionally.  Being an idiot. . .I was even looking on my cell phone for reviews for warmer boots (My feet were really cold!).

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
At 12:15 while looking down at my phone (did I say I was being an idiot!!) I heard something. . .25 yards and coming quickly towards me is a beast- easily a 145+” deer.  His ears were back like he was ready to fight.  No time to really think (did I mention I am an idiot for looking at my phone?!)   I slowly stood in my stand, grabbing my bow, and adjusting my glove as I had it slightly off since I was being an idiot messing with my phone.  In a matter of seconds he was quartering towards me while weaving in and over brush and dead falls.  He began to pass me at just 10 yards.  Some twigs to clear. . . he's walking. . . I got this. . . keep it low. . .a slam dunk. .  What???   The white fletching looked like it actually slaps his white hair on his arm pit (deflection?? Miss?? Heart??)  He bounds 20 yards and stands there looking around,  “What was that?”  Oh my he is looking even better than 145” . . .  He walks off.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »
Are you kidding me?  What just happened? The entire thing unfolded in less than 10 seconds. . . I look down and there is my arrow stuck between 2 logs just 10 yards away.  That can’t happen!  I missed!!  Did I mention I was an idiot?

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
My phone has cost me before.  It seems at least once a year.  Ugh.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
I sense that there is more to this story....  :campfire:  ....thanks for taking us along!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »
I spent the next hour licking my wounds and reliving the surreal misery of a missed opportunity over and over. . . I was just sick.  Did that actually happen?   (I am still sick by the way!)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
Seventy-five minutes passed with no activity. . . except me trying to keep from puking! . . .when about 1:30 I saw another lone dark colored deer coming quickly up the ridge.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
I couldn’t believe it. . .  it was my "Legend."   This was ¾ mile from where I saw him 2 days before.  Unbelievable.  Wet, dark colored coat. . .Hair notably missing on various areas of his neck and shoulders.  Just a really cool big tough older looking deer.  So. . . Do I shoot him?

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
I am loving this story, keep it coming Dan.....  :campfire:

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Heck yeah, shoot him!    :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Here I am 57 years old, but as the deer hustled up the steep almost vertical ridge (the actual access point I used that AM to access this remote pristine ridge) my dad’s words rang in my head as we had discussed this buck just days before.  My dad could not believe I would pass him.  As he had said, "What a buck to shoot.  What a story. . .  Just imagine the fight that broke him.  Who can say they shot a deer like that!" (Do we ever get out from under the power of a dad's words??)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
Having fun telling you all the story. . .  but feeling pressure to get going to go get a late season doe. . . .

. . .BUT I will hurry here.  :)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
Like the earlier blown encounter, this was unfolding in a matter of seconds.  But, as he came up the ridge my heart did not even jump a beat as it seemed pretty apparent I would not get a shot as he was headed right to the drifting scent stream where I had a smaller buck wind me earlier. . .

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
. . .but then he took a short 3 yard “J-hook” to the south.  In a manner of 2-3 seconds I had the “Legend” abruptly stop at 23 yards, fully broadside. I could see his body begin to tense as he caught my faint scent as it was slightly swirling. . . maybe even a little in my favor.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
I started drawing very slowly, though the entire time I was questioning. . .Should I shoot him?. . . Should I shoot? . . .I felt the anchor. . . the arrow was gone! Low and tight with a dull- “thud.”

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
That's the trouble with the phones. You can't stay off them. And you weren't even using it AS a phone, were you?
Great story telling. I'll stay tuned.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
He spun almost instantaneously, but something looked odd as the arrow flipped up through the air as the deer steam-engined down the slope where he came from.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©