3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little bit of a “Legend”. . . here in KS  (Read 2458 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little bit of a “Legend”. . . here in KS
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »
I was using it to look for reviews on warm boots! LOL
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
My binocs revealed bright red on about 6" of the arrow as it lay on the ground within feet of where I shot him.  I was left with those quiet moments in the quiet woods trying to replay what just happened.  Goodness, the prior 90 minutes seemed almost unreal.  A missed monster. . .  and now the “Legend” with this strange arrow response. . . limited penetration??  Another blown opportunity??
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Forty-five minutes later I get down to inspect the arrow.  Sure enough, 6” of blood and the broadhead is snapped right off the shaft.  ????    This was not one of those confident moments. . .  but 6” low gave me a small hope that perhaps I did get the heart.  I assembled my portable gear and headed down the ridge with kicked up leaves and an occasional drop of blood for 50 yards.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
I was not overly encouraged. . . .  feeling a bit sick again. . . questioning. . .

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
If your feet are really cold try a pair of Lenz electric socks. They are pricey but I use them for more than just hunting and this season  used them only once....On with the story.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
Then. . . suddenly I looked ahead as I see the trail of what looks like someone punched a hole in the bottom of a red paint can.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
Another 50 yds. . .

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
The photo says the rest.   It was a heart shot.  

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
The “Legend” now sits on my shelf as a European mount. . . 85+# of meat packaged in my freezer.  

And "YES"- my dad received the first call and actual photos!     :)    

BTW- Realize I am a 6'4" 220#.  Gives you some sense of the size of this rascal.

Time to go get a late season doe. . .

Thanks for following along.

Dan in KS

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
Awesome Buck....I agree he is a legend. Any ideas on what happened with the strange arrow reaction?
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
Gen-

15' in a tree. Though he made it to the top of the ridge he was still "down" from me. The arrow went low (almost too low- game of inches!).  It hit the bottom of the heart (thanks for Magnus bleeder blades!), and the "thud" I heard was the broadhead lodging where the ribs connect to the sternum on the opposite side (only a few inches across there really!)

The deer was starting to tense ( I could see his muscles ripple) and I am thinking that almost instantly as I shot he was starting to duck and turn (which would have been down the steep ridge). His leg-elbow certainly sheared off the shaft.

Folks- when it is all said and done I truly feel that these experiences are a Divine gift.  CHRISTmas is the real deal.  1" different could have been a completely different and miserable outcome.

Be grateful friends.  Don't take too much credit. Some of you worked far harder for a spike or a doe this season than I did.

Its all a gift!

Dan in KS

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
Fantastic buck and story! Congratulations! Pumped now for my last few days of the season.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
That’s a hoss!

Congrats,

Bisch

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Agreed a hoss of a buck. Very nice story. Hope you had help dragging him out. Congrats.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Congratulations on a great buck!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
A great gift, brother.
G
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
Congrats he is a fine buck

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
Great Buck Congrats.  Bummer about the land being sold....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  He is a brut..........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
Katman-

I haven't dragged a deer in 15 years!

I quarter them out with a gutless method! I carry some of the meat in my turkey vest (which I wear all the time) and strap the quarters to my tree-stand which is equipped with true full hip belt and pack straps from a pack. These big bucks do take a friend or 2 trips.    

When they are within decent distance or terrain- I do occasionally use my Ameristep Non-Typ Aluminum backpack cart to wheel them out. It folds up like a back pack, weighs 20#, and when unfolded it has canted wheels.      

Dan in KS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©