3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thunderhorn vs Jackal vs pronghorn  (Read 968 times)

Offline silvertip73

• Trad Bowhunter
Thunderhorn vs Jackal vs pronghorn
« on: December 24, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
Has anyone shot all of these three piece longbows? Looking at purchasing a three piece longbow and have not shot these three and was wondering if someone can give me some comparison info or experiences. Thank you much.

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunderhorn vs Jackal vs pronghorn
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
Shot them all, All great bows with great craftsmanship. I would give the stalker the performance edge. Just my opinion.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
I have own a Pronghorn, I have owned 2 three pc Thunderhorns, and never shot a Stalker.

The first thing I would say is that riser on the Jackal should be way different then that other two. The Jackal has more of a recurve riser than longbow.

The Pronghorn I owned I regret selling. It was a hunters longbow. Stable, rock solid, quiet, accurate and smooth. Wish I had it back.

I had a 1 pc T-horn and when I bought a used 3pc I sold the 1 pc. I still own the 3 pc (10 years later) and two years ago I bought a second 3pc. I decided there was no reason to own two so I sold the newest one. I love my T-horn 3 pc longbow. Its got all the qualities you would want in a r/d longbow.

If you never shot any of these three longbows I would say they are pretty different from each of other. Its hard to compare because of their differences.

I would say the Jackal is more like the RER LX, and the Blacktail 3 pc longbow.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
I agree with Shane . I have owned them all  I still have the Stalker but it is the Coyote model and I have  the Pronghorn. I sold the Thunderhorn because I was always torquing the handle and slapping my forearm. Definitely not the bows fault just the way that I was holding the bow. All are top quality with flawless craftsmanship. Great performing bows. I would give the speed edge to the Stalker but that's it. If you like longbow handles then it's the pronghorn for more of a recurve handle then the Stalker. I have a hard time deciding which of the two to take hunting. A couple of days ago I ordered another pronghorn. I really like them.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
I've shot all three, and all are great choices, and shoot comparatively.  To me it is all about the grip. I have the Coyote Stalker; and it is my favorite. The Riser is extremely comfortable in the hand, and the grip "repeatable".  Not to add any confusion, but there is another bow that should be considered and that is the Kota "Prairie Nomad"; Extremely beautiful and well made, and shoots as well as the others. The Riser comes with a beautifully stitched leather grip, and is similar in size/shape to the Thunderhorn.  Best of Luck in your search.
Ron Roman

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
I have 2 pronghorn Longbows they are awesome bows I have order a Yellowstone Halfbreed and I like the Black Canyon 3 Piece take down as well. They all look similar I just think that stile of bow is bullet proof.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©