3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What was your first bow?  (Read 2653 times)

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What was your first bow?
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
Like David I bought the green and brown 76er new from an old hardware store that's no longer in business. I had a springarm quiver as well. They will make you appreciate a quiet quiver! My folks did buy my brother and I the 15# red and white Pearsons fiberglass models and we slayed all the bunnies in a neighborhood briar thicket   :bigsmyl:  Good thread by the way it's nice to take a trip back in time.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I was given a red fiberglass Indian brand bow with a black rubber handle when I was 7 years old.  I shot targets and pop cans for hours and hours.
My favorite was hunting cactus, and skinning/eating the ones I hit.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
My first bow was also a yellow fiberglass recurve.  Santa (my Mom) got it for me for Christmas about 47 years ago.  I'm not sure why, I had no idea about archery back then.  Of course I strung it up backwards and shot it a lot!  Then an older cousin strung it up correctly and man did that shoot faster.  I still have a yellow fiberglass bow that my grand kids shoot, but I'm not sure if it's the same one.  I have no idea where I got it from.   :archer2:  

My first hunting weight bow was a Quinn Stallion.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
My first trad bow was a 1969 bear alaskan 50@28 from my father in law at his passing in 1990.  Looked much like your black bear but yellow glass back n belly.
 Hunted with it many years, taking a few deer with it.
 I've since passed it on to my adult son to keep it in the family.
 No mostly shooting my HH longbow.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
Martin X200
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
Hand made flatbow by my Great Grandad, also hand whittled cedar arrows. First "store bought" bow was an Indian, orange glass and maple riser.

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
50# Bear Kodiak Hunter

Bisch

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
My first bow was a solid fiberglass "Colt Captain" 30# static tip and dual shelf. It's still being used by Grand kids today. My first hunting weight recurve was a 67 1/2 Super Kodiak. I hunted with it this past year.

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
First store bought bow was a Shakespeare all fiberglass bow my parents gave me about 1959. I still have it. My second store bought bow was a 50# Kodiak Magnum I bought new in 1971. I also still have it.
Keep em Sharp!

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
My first bow was a Shakespeare fiberglass Comet it says 25# but it is 40#. I even shot a deer with it . Second bow was a 45# Bear cub a 1962 year . I still have both and occasionally shoot them . I went on **** and doubled up on the Comet and a friend , Brandon Barringer gave me a Bear cub Identical to the one I have .

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
Still have my first recurve...acquired in 1969...a Little Bear
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 12:39:00 AM »
In 1984, fresh out of college, I bought the prettiest compound I could find--the Bear Archery Brown Bear.  It looked nothing like today's arrow launching machines.

The reason I bought this compound was due to its traditional look.  I didn't think you could hunt big game without a compound.  Then in about 1987 I met some local bowhunters shooting longbows and recurves in SW Colorado where I lived.  They took me under their wing and soon after doing some shooting and finally hunting antelope with them one fall, I realized I could miss as well with my compound as I could with a recurve and, in 1989, I ordered a Martin Howatt Hunter.

I never looked back.  The next year I started shooting a Martin ML10 Mountaineer longbow and shortly thereafter ordered a "custom" Wapiti Spike longbow.  I now own several racks full of "traditional" bows.  I shot one antelope with that compound and have killed many, many game animals since in several states with my longbows and that Martin recurve.

I am now shooting an old Bear Kodiak and an Eskimo that are the same age as me-give or take a year.

I sold that Brown Bear Compound about as fast as I could back then.  Now I wish I still had it hanging on the wall for posterity's sake.  For a compound, it was really quite beautiful!

Mike

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
My first bow was a native American horse bow from the Cherokee nation  It was made for my Dad when he was a kid. plenty of small critters died in front of it including a few stray cats, rabbits and one partridge. I still have it but it has not been strung in probably 40 years.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
My first was my Dad's Ben Pearson Colt that he bought back around late 60's and I started using it sometime around 1979 !
  I still have it in my shop and he had some of those "Hilbre" heads and a borrowed back quiver.   :archer:

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
My first was a Browning Nomad, wood riser compound, back in about 1985. My first traditional bow was a Blue Ridge Hunter takedown made by a local bowyer, back in about 1991.
Mark 1:17

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
First bow, kids peewee wheelie bow from Service Merchandise when I was around 10, it still had enough penetration to shoot through a bag of kitty litter LOL

First TRAD bow, a Bear Tigercat when I was around 11 or 12.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
My first bow was given to me by my dad. It was a '59 Bear Kodiak 64" 45 lbs. Yes I do still have it
NRA Life Member

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2017, 01:20:00 AM »
My first bow was a Ben Pearson lemonwood longbow bow I got it for Christmas when I was 6 because I asked for a bow. I still have it but hasn't been strung in years. My brothers who were 9, 10 and 11 years younger than me used it when I went away to college. I got it back a few years ago from my folks house, lots of memories in that old bow!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2017, 05:44:00 AM »
A Glenn Wilson recurve made in Michigan. Dad bought it for me in the early 60's.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
there was a few when I wasn't sure which direction in archery I was going  but the bow that made me decide to go traditional was a Genesis bamboo backed osage flatbow by Joe Don Jones
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©