3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OK , school me on strings  (Read 1890 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
OK , school me on strings
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »
Here’s the deal, I make a few bows every year. So I also make endless strings, more interested in quiet than performance but don’t want to make a dog out of the bow either.

Currently using  D 97 but before I buy more thought I’d ask if there is something better and quieter?

Thanks in advance!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OK , school me on strings
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »
I'll throw out a novice's observations, before the more learned answer.  I'm really interested in this, it is a great way to ask the question.  

I moved from B55 to D97 to enhance performance and durability.  I found little difference in noise, which was easily tamed with good silencers.  I then tried BCY-X, and found the performance, and the stability, were more enhanced than from the switch to D97. Again, noise was not an issue - same as others, it was more a result of the bow and arrow tune than material.  I am really a fan of the BCY-X now.  I am in the process of switching all my strings and back-ups to BCY-X because of its performance with no sound side-effects.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
A quiet bow is mostly based on how well it's tuned, nock fit, arrow weight, clean release, and string build...but all of that being equal, blended materials like BCY-X, 452X, Trophy, and 450+ seem to have a slight edge over 100% Dyneema materials like Mercury, Dynaflight '97, 8125, etc.

I can help you out with material--shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

Chad

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
After talking to Chad at ETAR, I've been shooting BCY-X just about since it was out....it's great stuff and all I use now.

He's a good dude and real good at giving a guy a "good deal"....he'll hook ya up!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »
There probably ins't but a few fps between those top string materials mentioned above. But one of those might stand out as being the quietest on each particular bow. I have enough BCY-X to make a suspension bridge, but recently tried some 452-X for fun on my favorite Kanati longbow. Seems like the same speed to me but wow its it ever quieter! I almost don't need the woolly silencers on it with the 452-X. I'd say try them all!
My favorite is 452-X  3 bundle 15 stand strings padded to 21 in the loops with .030 halo serving.
Tedd

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
D-10. I get mine made by SBD, a sponsor here. I'll never go with D-97 again.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
Not only does the materials make a difference, sting count makes a difference too!  After playing around with different options and trying different materials I settled on 16-18 strand bcy-x.  The difference in speed between 12 strand vs 18 strand averages at 3 fps (for me). But is significantly quieter!!  I'll take the quietest every time!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »
Great info so far, anybody else have an observation?

Thanks!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
A quiet bow is mostly based on how well it's tuned, nock fit, arrow weight, clean release, and string build...but all of that being equal, blended materials like BCY-X, 452X, Trophy, and 450+ seem to have a slight edge over 100% Dyneema materials like Mercury, Dynaflight '97, 8125, etc.
This has been my experience as well.  Different materials will sometimes produce a different sound quality even on the same bow, but given proper tuning I'm not really all that convinced that strand type is a primary determining factor for the overall noise a bow makes.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Chad been makin my strings from BCY X for awhile now. It’s quiet on my Warf’s and Bear TD’s. It doesn’t stretch in our 100+ degrees summer days. It doesn’t fuzz like some materials. Even with 16-18 strand strings they not that much bigger in diameter as some skinny strings.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »
In the School of Bowstrings I'm a dropout.

Endless loop B-50.  Dumbed down to my level, accurate, quiet and easy on bows.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 11:33:00 PM »
18 strands of BCY X is equal to about 12 of D97 and maybe 11 of D-10 (which has been re branded as F-10). D97 and F-10 are nearly identical with F-10. From BCY: "Force 10 - All the features of DynaFLIGHT 97 but made from a slightly higher grade Dyneema® - SK78"

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 08:36:00 AM »
Chad "LBR" will steer you in the right direction and knows more about strings and string material than anyone I know. I used D-97 for years. I switched to making most of my strings out of BCY-X and I'm very pleased with the results. I throw a couple of yarn puffs on and I'm good to go. Mostly 18 strands (22 in the loops) and #4 nylon (cheap) for serving. I get my material from Chad when he's at ETAR. He's just a great guy to deal with and talk to.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 09:53:00 AM »
I've been making and shooting BCY-X flemish twist on your longbow design for a couple years. 66@28 and love it. Great combo.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »
14 strand

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
Halo serving

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
Chads DVD is great

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
Trad guys are the best there is, I love the share info attitude and have had 2 guys offer to send a string to try out!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
:wavey:

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »
I've been making my own Flemish Twist for the past 25 or so years and I still prefer the original Fast Flite Plus. I have one older bow that I use B50 on but everything else gets Fast Flite Plus. It gives me the extra speed and is very quiet....for what its worth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©