3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OK , school me on strings  (Read 1892 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OK , school me on strings
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 09:37:00 PM »
FWIW, the original Fast Flight material is still available in BCY's 652 Spectra.  Brownell owns the name but can't get the original material.  The founders of BCY (Ray Browne and Bob Destin) invented the material when they worked for Brownell, and can still get it.  I have a bunch of spools in my shop for sale, cheap.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 11:54:00 PM »
I've posted this before, so I apologize for the redundancy...

There are only 3 basic types of modern bowstring materials (not counting primitive materials like natural fibers, silk, linen, hide, etc.).

Within their specific categories, the characteristics don't vary a lot.  The higher grades will have less stretch/creep, but they are still made from the same basic materials.

#1.  Polyester - Or, as most of us like to call it, "dacron" (which is a trade name that has expired).  For now we have B-55 and B-50.  B-55 is a slightly higher grade so it has a little less stretch and creep and a tad more durability, but it has the same basic characteristics as B-50.

#2.  HMPE - High Modulus Polyethylene, aka Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE, UHMWP).  Basically a very strong plastic fiber--the strongest man-made fiber available.  Trade names include Spectra and Dyneema.  Bowstring materials include 652 Spectra, Dynaflight '97, 8125, Mercury, etc.  Very strong, almost no elasticity, low creep.  The first bow string material in this category was invented by Ray Browne and Bob Destin, the original "Fast Flight".

#3.  HMPE/LCP (Liquid Crystal Polymer) Blends - LCP's include the brand names "Vectra" and "Vectran".  Very temperature resistant, practically no stretch or creep, this type of yarn was incorporated with HMPE to create the most stable (in all temperatures) of bowstring materials.  These include Trophy, 450+, 452X, BCY-X.  This material was first developed into bowstring by Bob Destin of BCY.  As a side note, there are no 100% LCP bowstring materials because it won't withstand flexing in one point (like the nock point) over and over.  Like the old Kevlar material, if it were 100% LCP it would break, usually without warning.

Anyhow...that's the break down.  Most variations you see (or hear) within one of these three categories is normally going to be much more due to the string build, bow design, tuning, nock fit, arrow weight, your release, etc.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 12:28:00 AM »
I have had great results with 8 strand D-10 built by SBD with wool puffs.Every bow I have used it on has been made quieter and softer shooting.Some results have been dramatic.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »
BCY-X is what I prefer.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 08:05:00 PM »
Thank you guys for the input, I will order some string soon.   :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 12:21:00 AM »
I've posted this before, so I apologize for the redundancy...
Please don't apologise!

I copied and pasted that into a permanent reference document.

Thank you very much.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »
452-x.  I just make Flemish. I make it enough strands to match up with serving to fit nocks. 2 bundle or 3, 18  strand for woodies.  But I can make skinny strings or thinner for carbons etc..stuff is strong as heck, little fray or fuzz, and it isn’t loud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©