3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Boots  (Read 742 times)

Offline Longbowcrowder66

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Boots
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:09:00 AM »
Can someone point me in the right direction for a new pair of boots for cold weather. .I enjoy setting in my stand all day.The highs usually 35 or so..I have got diabetes an my feet freeze now..the boots I currently have are lacrosse 800 gram...any advice would help....tired of cold ass feet....lol
Floyd Crowder

Offline nipperlud

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Boots
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:01:00 AM »
I wear a pair of muck boots and stick pocket heaters on top of sock..I don't walk far as I hunt behind my house
cl

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:35:00 AM »
Buy some military Bunny Boots. I have had trouble with cold feet for many years, until I obtained a pair of "Bunny Boots". Been hunting in 10 degree weather or colder for the past two weeks. Feet have been comfortable throughout 3 hour sits.

Add a pair of Chuck Deshler's (Two Tracks Bow Co), felted wool boot liners, for extra warmth and comfort.

chris <><

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
I wear Muck boots with a heavy pair of socks. The walk in gets my feet warmed up pretty good. The past few nights it's been in the single digits by the time I left and my feet haven't been cold.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
everyone has what works for them but if you want warm feet which on a stand for me I found that the Baffin's which are rated to -140 are perfect with regular crew socks even thinner liner socks because they are so warm.  they are made in Canada I think originally for ice fisherman who stand on ice all day.

they feel like pillows on your feet and might not work right for serious hiking but for standing still long hours your toes will be toasty warm I've worn them all this week and currently here in Mass its -15 wind chill and my feet felt like they were in warm heater socks with not even a hint of a chill and i was only wearing regular tube socks,, I originally bought these for standing in deep snow in single to sub zero temps.

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/40000048.htm

other wise most decent winter boots will work but buy a size to a 1 1/2 sizes bigger so you can wear extra thick wool or alpaca socks,, if toes are cold sometimes theres not enough insulating air space in front of them.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »
I wear muck Woody max.  They work for me.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »
Steger mukluks. Check out their website.

Offline Longbowcrowder66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
Tajue17....thank you
Floyd Crowder

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 04:57:00 PM »
I have diabetes as well, and cold is tough. I bought some pac boots from Cabela's some years ago that are rated to -85 degress. I also stole a pair from my son rated to -40. Non diabetics will consider this overkill, but it is not. With the -40 boots, I lost feeling in my feet at about 25 degrees. I do not walk, but, rather, I sit on a stand all morning. I am just not sure a diabetic is ever going to be totally comfortable in cold weather. I have accepted this as a fact of like and seldom hunt in the colder weather, which is odd, because when I was younger, I like to hunt on mornings so cold that most folks didn't want to be out..
Sam

Offline Recurve6

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »
I hunted this past weekend in TN and it was pretty cold for us.. temps in single digits with a wind chill on top.. my Sitka gear kept me totally comfortable but my feet were killing me. After all I invested in Sitka to stay warm my foot solution was pretty cheap.

I put a hand warmer - bigger size - on the toe of my boot when I got to my stand. Then I wrapped it in a piece of flannel cloth to hold it in place and trap warmth and used a rubber band to secure it.
Worked just fine.. if only the deer had cooperated!
Pat

Offline Longbowcrowder66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »
I use to not get cold until I became a diabetic four years ago.. I like to climb the tree before daylight and set til dark..But this week I had to come out the tree at noon. My feet were so cold that they were numb, I couldnt feel my feet walking out the woods..You can bet it wont happen next year. I dont care how they will cost me!!
Floyd Crowder

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
you folks with problems hunting in the cold there are many options,,, the insulated body bags are toasty warm its a sleeping bag you unzip to get ready when you see something coming,, keep in mind this is late season and you can usually see something coming from way out..  also heated body vests with the batteries,,, the iron workers in Boston wear these in sub zero wind chills and they swear by them..  not sure the brands you'd have to check reviews.

you guys that are feeling the cold due to whatever the reason you may have to step away from what your used to wearing but staying warm in any temp is an option.
"Us vs Them"

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
If you buy new cold weather boots make sure you wear the socks you'll hunt in while trying them on and allow extra room for blood flow. Any restriction will cause cold feet quicker, learned my lesson a long time ago on that score. I actually leave my laces loose if I'm just hiking to a stand, makes a big difference to me.

Good luck, my brother was diabetic and always had cold feet til he tried looser boots with good socks.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »
The two most important things in my experience are good circulation by not over-tightening my boots, regardless of the insulation factor and, good insoles made especially for cold.  Soles aren't insulated like the body of the boot, and the various rubber materials conduct cold temps right to your feet.  For regular hunting boots without a full-foot liner like a pac boot, good insoles can be a game changer.

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »
This is what I did this past season because my feet would get cold as I have aged. I bought a pair of Hoffman pack boots, two sizes bigger. I also purchased a pair of two tracks wool insoles and put those under the boot liners. I hunted late season this year in northern Wisconsin and stayed toasty. On the days that were below zero I used the chemical toe warmers for added warmth.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »
Mukluks are what I wear in cold weather, felt lined and light weight they are extremely warm

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »
Complete and total badassery, Mr LaClair.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »
Baffin pack boots and wool socks or what Mr.Laclair said those are really neat

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 06:30:00 PM »
I gave up on trying to get boots to keep my feet warm. I finally bought a pair of boot blankets I carry in strapped to my back pack top loop. I wear normal insulated boots or rubber boots in so I can walk climb into tree stand easily.

Once in my stand I slip on my boot blankets with a chemical hand warmers in each. If it's REAL cold I use a chemical body warmer in each. It's like standing on a wood burner then.

I really like this set up for me as I'm not in big heavy bulky boots for the walk in or climb up into a tree stand.

However I will say they cut down on your tree stand platform size considerably. For this reason the last half hour on stand before dark thirty I slip out of them depending on temperature.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©