3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on the L.L. Bean 10" Main Hunting boot?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline ChasingWhitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on the L.L. Bean 10" Main Hunting boot?
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »
I've been considering getting a pair of these boots for hunting. I spent too much $ on rubber boots in the past that only last a season or two before they begin to leak. Is anyone wearing them and can give an honest review? Most of the reviews on their website are by folks wearing them to hockey games, walking their dogs etc... I want to know how well they function in the woods for hunting purposes.

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on the L.L. Bean 10" Main Hunting boot?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
I've worn bean boots for years for darn near everything.  I upland hunt in them mostly anymore but they are a great boot.  The only negative I can say at least that I have experienced is in snow and mud they don't grip well at all.  If it's wet, flat country or early season they are awesome.  I've used them back east and out here In the west.  The warranty is amazing.  I will tell you while Im still wearing a pair I have been using schnees for big game and they are built crazy good.  Same warranty, built tougher and are a little heavier.  More expensive yes....but overall a better built boot.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:39:00 PM »
I have a pair of the Schnees as well and they are some quality boots for sure. Better traction type of sole that the Maine boots too.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:31:00 PM »
LLBean are very quiet and I use them in the Rockies early season elk hunting when the ground is dry, at the first drop of rain only a fool would wear them.
For cold and wet weather the Schnees, Whites and similar brands would be much better
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
I have a pair that was an edition that has the more rugged lug style sole.  I love them - BUT it did take some break-in to get them comfortable.  They aren't as warm as I thought they'd be and the liner pulls out when I pull my foot out - that's annoying.  But overall I really like them.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
I have a pair of 10"bean boots.Really like them early hunting season but in Louisiana knee high  rubber boots are what we need.I added extra hooks for fast on and off really like them that way.I bought a brown pair of uppers this last time instead of the tan I have used for years.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:00 PM »
I've been wearing LL Bean Maine Hunting Boots for almost 50 years. I learned from my aunt, an avid fisherwoman how well they serve in wet conditions.
I have a pair of 10" now that after 6 -8 years need to be resoled. I've worn 12" or 10" for every hunting season since I began hunting in 1979 and most were resoled once(I think that all they will do).
 Now, I only hunted in GA, NC and SC with 2 trips to Colorado but for me, they are the best hunting boots to wear. When the soles are almost worn out they make great sneaking boots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
I have the tall Beans too.   I love them,  for what they are good for.....they have limitations.  Depending on temp,  you can adjust your "insulation" via the use of different socks....as they are un insulated.  They are NOT for sitting any length of time in the cold.  As mentioned above,  traction can be an issue in wet or snow. Early season right thru til it starts to be 25 or colder,  they are great. I don't do much stalking,  but have a feeling they'd be pretty good to that too....

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
I like them in our milder southern temperatures most of the time, but I do find them slick in wet weather and cold in winter weather if the thermometer dips more than usual.
Sam

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 05:11:00 PM »
If it’s above 32 degrees I am usually in them. The thin sole of the Maine hunting shoe is what I like best. If you are looking for a durable boot with a ton of ankle support these ain’t it. If you are looking for a dry, comfortable boot that allows you to feel what’s under your feet they are the ticket.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »
I wear bean boots for archery hunting all the time. To me there's no break in and they're a great compromise with the rubber on the bottom. Full rubber causes me to sweat.
Guys mentioned the soles not being great. They aren't crazy but I'd say sufficient. I wear them for work too as it's often muddy, wet, snowy, etc.
Today was single digits. Working, checking coyote snares in the snow on the mountainous powerline behind my house I never slipped once and I was hurrying.
These boots are old and have some slight spots with very light tread. I also have a balance issue from a surgery. I don't feel handicapped wearing the boots even a tiny bit.
The cons to me are they aren't the warmest when it gets real cold and you gotta sit. Gonna need something else imo. I also use em upland hunting, judging little hounds which requires running.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
Not for me.  Had a pair years back and did not like them.  Poor tread and not waterproof.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 06:50:00 PM »
Never had a pair of Bean boots,but do love my Schnees which are similar.Would be great if you could try on some and see what fits best.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »
I have had several pair over the years and when these wear out i will buy another. My favorite early season deer footwear.  As was stated above, within their niche they are great, but they have limits.  You heard them above.

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »
I've been wearing them for going on 35 years.  Been using my current pair for about 10 years. I agree with the others that the unlined models are not for cold weather, no insulation at all!  But from 40 to 85 degrees they are great.  Very soft rubber bottoms, like moccassins.  Very quiet.  Uppers need some sort of waterproofing.  I use Montana pitch blend and they are good for most applications here in Georgia. I find them very comfortable with a pair of medium weight wool socks.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
I've had 6 or 7 pairs of Bean Boots, in various heights. My one pair of Schnees are superior in many ways. The Bean Boot bottom is very good for sneaking, slippery in the wet though.
The Bean Boots are good too. It's a tough question. Montana Pitch Blend is my preferred coating for any leather upper.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
I have a pair of size 10's with buff leather, and shearling lined..bought em here a few weeks back, beautiful, but a little snug on me, I'll let em go for 75.00 TYD. cost over 200 new
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »
I got a pair early last summer to go elk hunting in Colorado.  They run a bit big and followed the recommendation to order down. They are amazingly comfortable right b out of the box!it did snow on us at elevation and I did not have any trouble with slipping nor cold. I was wearing heavy wool sock with them.

I waterproofed them and not one leak. I continued to wear them back here in NW Missouri during our deer season with no complaints.

I would also recommend getting the hooks instead of the regular eyelets as it speeds the donning of them exponentially....

Soles are soft enough to feel the ground, but still offer protection.

I can't say enough good things about them!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »
Oh yeah, speed hooks are the way to go. That's what I've used for years but you have to ask for them.
 I've hunted in mine down to the upper 20s and wear wool socks with cotton over them for wicking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©