3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've been bitten  (Read 985 times)

Offline Devin Hull

• Trad Bowhunter
I've been bitten
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
The trad bug has bitten me. I'm new here to the forum and new to traditional archery, I thought I would share my story before diving into the forum. I started shooting around the first of December this year. I've been bowhunting since I was about 10 years old, always compound. When I was in highschool, with out any warning my grandfather went out and purchased me a Bear Grizzly 50#, just like the one he roamed these KY hills with as a young man. That bow was played around with for a summer, unstrung and hung up. Im now closing in on 30, a wonderful wife, 3 wild boys 3 years and younger. Ive scored on numerous whitetail with my Hoyt Carbon Element in the past couple years with a few really nice bucks.

I don't know if it was this season being slow and loosing a 170 class bucks early in september, or what triggered me. I was in my basement and  just happened to look up at the recurve that had been neglected since 2008. I grabbed it off the wall and strung it up. I slung some goldtips meant for my Hoyt around the yard that day, didnt hit much, but it felt good. Some days after I got some cheap aluminums uncut with vanes and i shot that bow every day, the rest was falling off the shelf from the vanes and poor knowledge of proper knocking point height. About 3 weeks in after getting off 3rd shift I decided I wanted to take a doe ( already calling it quits with my compound for the year). I saw alot of deer for 2 mornings straight , but it just felt different, I wasnt frustrated, or bored in the stand like I had to be there as if it was a job. Day 3 I had one of the smallest does if ever even gave a thought of shooting make her way towards me. 15 yards quartering to me, all the while pounding in my head "Pick a spot, dont draw short, anchor, Pick a spot, release". I watched that arrow blow through her at the exact spot I was burning a hole through, tore down wouldn't touch the emotion and feeling I had as she ran 40 yards and dropped.

At the moment that scrawny yearling dropped, I realized what I had accomplished, and why my grandfather bought me that bow. It was unlike anything I had felt, Better than watching that 170 walk into bow range, better than back to back 151" and 152" whitetails with a compound previous years. This little yearling topped my charts as the best dear I had ever harvested. Her meat didn't last long, but the phone call to my grandfather made it all worth while. He cant hunt and barely walk around anymore, but after sharing my story with him, he sounded like a young man again, and he was proud.

Fast forward a couple more weeks, I've spent hours reading and shooting. New cedar arrows I cut, fletched, glued, and tuned my self. It was a rewarding experience practicing with arrows meant for that bow, and its only driven me to shoot and learn more. Today I was fortunate to get out of the house and harvest my 2nd and 3rd tradbow kill on 2 KY cottontails, 1 at 11 yards and the other at about 5, but I came home grinning from ear to ear, and it tickled my wife to see me that excited. So needless to say, i've been bitten and theres no turning back. Although ill keep my compound, I really cant see my going back to it, the reward and satisfaction of the recurve will just be too hard to beat. And as long as i've still got my grandfather here, I want to visit and call him with as much success/ and failure stories as I can. I hope to learn alot more from you guys and gals, and maybe if lucky, post some more success stories.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've been bitten
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Enjoy your journey.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 03:40:00 PM »
Okay there is a way to make pictures fit what they want better, down to that 480 pixcel.  I am sure some one will fill you in on that.  But putting up pictures of fried rabbit, my very favorite big game is just cruel.  You just wait, come later January or February, when it will be hopefully warmer and I can walk better, I will get even with you for that.  Those Grayling Grizzlies were nice bows, keep using the one you have.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
Congrats. For Imgur, if you change the https to http after you paste it here, that will reduce the picture size.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »
Yep, I'd agree you've been bitten. Congratulations with your success! This is a good forum, and I think you will enjoy it as well as learning a lot.
Sam

Offline Devin Hull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the picture size comments, i didnt realize hoe big they came out.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 05:06:00 PM »
Good job....

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Welcome to the Gang! Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

What part of KY are you in?
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 05:29:00 PM »
I think you got the hang of it.  Welcome aboard.     :wavey:

Offline Devin Hull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gen273:
Welcome to the Gang! Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

What part of KY are you in?
Mason County, nky area

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »
As a Grampa myself this story makes me  happy.  Glad you made your grampa happy and job well done..  Way to go young fella

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 06:29:00 PM »
Welcome, sounds like you jumped in the deep end with both feet. Congrats!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 06:53:00 PM »
That's GREAT !!! Good shootin and welcome to tradgang    :thumbsup:   it's a very rewarding way of hunting !
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
Welcome from Michigan, I like your idea of sharing with your grandpa, mine was my best buddy. Congrats on the kills!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »
Cool...
 :campfire:

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
It's a blast making the change.  I was in the same boat when I came back to the stick. Just didn't have the fire I used to with the compound. Took out my old recurve and shook like a little girl when the first doe came by me. Haven't looked back! Congrats!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
Welcome and congrats from the deep South!

You learn fast and the Trad bug is meant to be simple and non complicated, keep it that way and your fun meter will continue to be pegged to the right!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »
Good start sir , keep at it...

Congrats on your doe and rabbits...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  Bet it made your grandfathers day to hear that you had killed a deer with that bow.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
I am originally from Logan County.  You are hooked. It is a pleasant sort of misery.  I shoot every day, hunt rabbits every weekend, now have a grandson tp take with me. Go get em
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©