3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broken Antler Points  (Read 497 times)

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Broken Antler Points
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:19:00 PM »
Broken antlers and points are common but has anyone ever found one while hunting?

About 35 yrs ago I was still hunting along a deer trail with my Black Bear recurve about a mile from where I'm typing this in eastern MA. The trail headed for a low point in an old stone wall where a large flat rock allowed for an easy crossing. Lying in the middle of the rock was this point. There was no sign of a confrontation in the area and I remember thinking if I could only find the other seven...or five...or three..........      

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broken Antler Points
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:37:00 PM »
I have found one. It was embedded in the hip of a buck I killed. When butchering the deer, I noticed a healed over wound channel and followed it to a broken off antler tip. Ouch!
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:42:00 PM »
I found this one on a trail paralleling a pine thicket edge.  Can't remember if it was disturbed as in a struggle.

IMG_4134
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
I found a time once while helping track a deer. At first I thought it was just a spike shed until I realized it had no base and was clearly broken off.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:00 PM »
Good friend Randy Reeves from TX found a broken piece of antler one year. If I remember right it was a droptine. A week or so later he shot a huge non-typical and the previous broken piece fit together perfectly. Think of the odds of that. bw

Offline Kromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:14:00 AM »
Never found a broken deer tine, but 10-12 years ago I found a smallish moose paddle that was broken off about 8" from the base. It wasn't a clean break either, the "fibers" of the antler were bent up and snapped off as if the force that broke it was from the bottom of the antler pushing up. Crazy to think about the force involved in that battle!

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 10:40:00 AM »
I've not found just points, but I know there a few laying around my woods this winter.      
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »
I have a buddy that shot a buck last year that scored over 200" non typical on the first day of season, that had a freshly broken tine. He had pictures of the buck the day before with the tine intact. He went back the next day where he shot it and found the broken tine under a big rubbed tree not far from the kill spot.

I killed a decent WV 8 point once that had a tine tip about 1" long stuck in his forehead.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©