3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Robertson Longbows History Thread  (Read 1201 times)

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
Robertson Longbows History Thread
« on: January 05, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
Hello Gang;

I've tried back-tracking through various threads here and found the Robertson Recurve thread, but didn't see a definitive list or chronological order of Dicks Longbows. I think the order goes something like this, but not 100% sure

Heritage
Buffalo
Mystical
Purist
Quest
Vision
??
Primal Styk

If anyone can chime in and/or provide some photos of the more obscure versions it would be greatly appreciated.
Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Robertson Stybow Mystical 66" #60@28"
Stalker Coyote FXT  RC 62" #53@29"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Robertson Longbows History Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »
Mine is a 2 piece Vision longbow, 64”, 61#, with a connexion hinge.  I believe it’s about 10 years old.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »
Every time I try to figure out all of his past models, I seem to discover another one.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Heritage was his first and it came before the Buffalo.  The Buffalo was a flat bow with a much wider and thinner limb than Dick's other bows. I've had a few and they are among my all time favorites.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
I still have a Mystic & Buffalo longbow plus Peregrine & Prairie Falcon recurves.  Sold a bunch and took weight off the longbows but the recurves are too heavy for me now...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 04:43:00 PM »
I have a 1 piece vision from around 2003.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 07:32:00 PM »
Had a 2 piece Purist that was awesome. I needed about 12 lbs reduction otherwise I'd still have it. Phenomenal bow. I actually got to shoot with Yote at the TBOF shoot a few years ago and let him shoot it. Cool mojo for sure

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
Think I got  my  mystical  in 1980 .   That buffalo was nice . Now it's a wolfer and  overdrive with bow bolts
Dan Breen

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
I still have a Mystic & Buffalo longbow plus Peregrine & Prairie Falcon recurves.  Sold a bunch and took weight off the longbows but the recurves are too heavy for me now...tippit
I'd love to see that Peregrine. I've had mine 20+yrs, the most recent one I came across was Tommy Jrs at RMS Gear.

i've editted the order in my original post to reflect the order. I also renamed the title  for anyone with some photos of Robertson Longbows over the years.

Thanks for the chime ins so far, it is appreciated    :cool:

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »
I have had a few over the years.  Have you ever shot one?  My Pierce Point was 51 pounds at my draw and shot the same the same distance as my 55 pound SK at my draw and I was more accurate with the Purist.  I recently tried to give the right hand Purist away, but the fellow insisted on paying for it. I still have a lefty.  My photos went away with photobucket.
That reminded me of an email with a 35 at 26" Purist shooting a cedar arrow tipped with a Zwickey of the man's young wife with a 6 point buck and an arrow covered stem to stern in blood. He did not dare to post it, because of the nay sayers about the bow weight, but he wanted to tell someone that  has gone on the defense for those that use light bows for deer when hunting from the ground.

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 06:27:00 PM »
Pavan

No, my Longbow experience is limited. A BW PL III and a friends Chastain Spike to be exact. I'm basing my desire for a Mystical/Purist on the two Robertsons fit, finish & performance that I have currently.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 07:05:00 PM »
With the regular lower grip of the Robertson longbows AND if you allow your form to 'settle' into the bow, you may lose part of your draw length.  i shoot them no different than I would a straight gripped Hill style bow.  You would still want a 64" model for your draw.  Careful, they are very easy to kill deer with, Robertson longbows are the only bows my son will shoot.  When I tried to give him a really good Hill style that would fit his 28" draw length, he declared that he would never hunt with it.  There are a number on the Stykbow web page at the moment.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
Sold a Mystical that I picked up used at Kzoo many moons ago, killed a deer every year I hunted with it (5). Wish I still had it. Seemed to shoot itself, although back then I shot every chance I got.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 04:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
With the regular lower grip of the Robertson longbows AND if you allow your form to 'settle' into the bow, you may lose part of your draw length.  i shoot them no different than I would a straight gripped Hill style bow.  You would still want a 64" model for your draw.  Careful, they are very easy to kill deer with, Robertson longbows are the only bows my son will shoot.  When I tried to give him a really good Hill style that would fit his 28" draw length, he declared that he would never hunt with it.  There are a number on the Stykbow web page at the moment.
I was kinda figuring on a 64-66" length after reading as you mentioned about possibly losing some of my draw length switching to a longbow.

Offline Harry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
Had a Mystical for years till I had to reduce weight  Now have the 'quickstyk" which is more of a hybrid but awesome to shoot. Bought it used so do not know years they were made

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 02:31:00 PM »
I have  Quest 64" 54@27. with hinge. I think it's about 12 years old

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by texbow2:
I have  Quest 64" 54@27. with hinge. I think it's about 12 years old
A quick google-fu search revealed someone with a Quest made in '92. I was unaware of this model until i saw this reply, thanks tex

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »
I've owned mystical, purist, vision and primal styk in that order, and I think that's the order in which they were produced.  Wasn''t aware of the Quest.

Why not just contact Dick and ask him.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 05:17:00 PM »
The Quest could be any one of the Mystical, vision, Purist bows...just built with Pierce Points in the handle, some had them in the veneers and tip O/L's.

Dick stopped building them a few years ago.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
At one time I had 4 of Dicks buffalo bows. I loved them. I bought the first one in 1992. Every couple years I would get another with different woods. I've since sold them all as they were getting too heavy for me.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©