3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Carolina and Georgia WMA Hunters  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
South Carolina and Georgia WMA Hunters
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:03:00 PM »
Weapons (SC)
3.1 – On WMA lands hunters may use any shotgun, rifle, bow and arrow, crossbow or hand gun except specific weapons may be prohibited on certain hunts. Small game hunters may possess or use shotguns with shot no larger than No. 2 or .22 or smaller rimfire rifles/handguns or primitive muzzle-loading rifles of .40 caliber or smaller. Small game hunters may not possess or use buckshot, slugs or shot larger than No. 2. Blow guns, dart guns, drugged arrows or arrows with exploding tips are not permitted. Small game hunters using archery equipment must use small game tips on the arrows (judo points, bludgeon points, etc.).

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/wmaregs.html#weapons

So, a fella planning to go hunt hogs on WMAs during small game seasons cannot carry broadheads?

Any SC Wildlife officers on here?

Are the same point restrictions listed in/for Georgia WMAs?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Carolina and Georgia WMA Hunters
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:20:00 PM »
Based on this, I take it Ga allows broadheads for hogs during small game seasons on WMAs.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-1/27-3-4

Man I wish the regs in all states were more clearly written.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:17:00 AM »
Broadheads are required for hogs during small game season in Georgia.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
South Carolina is so confusing with their hunting laws. Needlessly complicated. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was looking at hunting hogs during small game near the Savannah

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
Tuckahoe WMA was my favorite WMA for hogs, about 17-18 miles on the Savannah River and some land along Brier Creek. We used to take a lot of hogs there, where the hogs are is usually where the gators are as well. Snake chaps aren't a bad thing to have and when it storms, water comes up high and fast around Brier Creek.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 01:37:00 PM »
Thanks David. I have been eyeing Tuckahoe. Did you camp or motel stay?

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:00 PM »
Broadheads are legal on GA WMAs
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 01:52:00 PM »
Broadheads are legal in GA WMAs during small game Season
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
Though you didn't inquire of Mississippi's regs. for the sake of discussion I'll include it's the same here, only small game heads during small game only season. Turkey being another matter as broad heads are legal for Turkeys you can pursue pigs during that season. A lot of discussion concerning this has come up lately in our ranks. Seems if hogs were so invasive every opportunity to kill them would be made available.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Possum Head:
Though you didn't inquire of Mississippi's regs. for the sake of discussion I'll include it's the same here, only small game heads during small game only season. Turkey being another matter as broad heads are legal for Turkeys you can pursue pigs during that season. A lot of discussion concerning this has come up lately in our ranks. Seems if hogs were so invasive every opportunity to kill them would be made available.
Another case where law abiding citizens (hunters) suffer due to the criminal conduct, or potential criminal conduct of others (poachers). I would not use a small game head on a hog or a coyote. But taking a .22lr or .22 mag into the same woods is apparently legal. More deer fall to poaching by those two calibers than do by broadheads, I would wager.

In NC you can take broadheads onto gamelands in small game season.

Online Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
Check the SC regs carefully when you plan your hunt. Many WMA’s have scheduled dog gun hunts during Feb and March. I can’t imagine being down there during those if your trying to bowhunt. Good luck.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »
Bud we camped there, they had campsites available on the area with shower facilities. We used to have a group of 8-10 and great times but it's been a good while since I was there. If you go there take plenty of food for camp, or do like we usually did and the first deer was camp meat, because there is not a lot nearby in the way of places to eat, that may have changed but I doubt it.
 It was a good area and we hunted both deer and hogs there with good success, just watch out for the rattlers. The biggest Eastern Diamondback that I have ever personally seen was sunning there one cold morning. Thing about Tuckahoe is that even in the dead of winter it'll warm up enough a lot of days for the crawly things to come out.
 Our first hunt there firearms were legal and I showed up with my longbow. It was a tough hunt weather wise and I was the only one to take a hog. Next trip there were more bows, and then they started shedding wheels after that. at the end of the run of about 5 years, 6 guys had become traditional bowhunters, two of which had not previously been archers at all.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »
I am not going to any SC WMAs during small game season. Not until they change that law.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:

Originally posted by Possum Head:
Another case where law abiding citizens (hunters) suffer due to the criminal conduct, or potential criminal conduct of others (poachers). I would not use a small game head on a hog or a coyote. But taking a .22lr or .22 mag into the same woods is apparently legal. More deer fall to poaching by those two calibers than do by broadheads, I would wager.

In NC you can take broadheads onto gamelands in small game season. [/b]
Good point Bud

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
Bud, as I read, this is referring only to small game hunters, and designed simply to keep squirrel hunters from slinging broadheads a country mile.

Come down and kill all of the hogs you want. You are reading into it too much. If approached by a DNR officer, simply tell them you are hog hunting and I feel confident that little regard will be paid towards your equipment.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »
I will call, first. SC's fees went outta sight for out of staters. I used to buy an annual license. Not any more.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 08:35:00 PM »
Ive heard there are hogs on Warwoman and swallow creek in the northeast. Also supposed to be a lot on Beaverdam WMA in the south central part.  Maybe some guys with some local knowledge can point us in the right direction.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »
They are along the Waccamaw, too. Just south of NC line.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
Good to know, David. Thank you for your insight and reply.

Offline bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
For those of you from NC wanting to hunt SC hogs-Hogback Mountain in Northern Greenville County is loaded with pigs.
I spoke eith a DNR officer years ago about hog hunts year round and the use of broadheads. She told me broadheads are illegal unless it's turkey or deer season. When I questioned her about why pigs can be hunted year round but broadheads can't be used all she said is it's the law stupid as it is.
Revelation 3:20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©