3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Carolina and Georgia WMA Hunters  (Read 1416 times)

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Carolina and Georgia WMA Hunters
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 07:25:00 AM »
Last time I inquired of dnr broadheads were a big “no no” in SC during small game season. Was a big bummer when I found out.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »
For those not aware, SC has made it more expensive to hunt WMAs and big game for those of us out of state. Ga. has made it less expensive for out of staters. When buying a Ga basic license you now automatically get their WMA access pass.

I am sure SC has their reasons, but hunting hogs on WMAs in SC during small game with a bow and by their regulations is quite unethical to me.

Has the PBS or any other national bowhunting organization tried to educate them on how a broadhead is more way ethical on hogs than a judo?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:00 AM »
Quick point about SC - (stump shooting) with a Judo on Wildlife Management Areas or Heritage Trust Preserves is illegal. This is considered "target Practice" and as such is not allowed. I have a written warning 1992 as proof and the fine runs $450. Yes many "game wardens" have no clue of things wildlife and hunting!

Guys there is a laundry list of why SC should not be your choice for off season hog hunts. Read Matt Quicks post again. Look at the length of gun seasons and compare these dates to supposed "bow" seasons.  

SC does have a few decent public land bow hunts for hogs September / early October time frame if you are willing to work hard AND buy the expensive licenses required.

Lots of guys from other states think that because hogs are destructive landowners and game agencies are waiting to "point you in the right direction" or "invite you for free" --- NO that ain't happening. The reality is hogs are Trapped - Caught and killed with Dogs - and shot with Rifles year round on all the private land that borders these WMAs.

<><
<-------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 09:53:00 AM »
I wrote the commissioners of SCDNR.

I am not an eloquent writer, but here it is:

SCDNR Commissioners,
Greetings,

Over the past six years I have made an annual trek to Estill, SC to hunt a place called Wild Things near Cohen’s Bluff along the Savannah River.  Andrew Harper was the owner and proprietor of the hunting location.  The primary draw to Wild Things was the opportunity to hunt feral hogs with a bow and arrow.  All who hunted Andrew’s land couldn’t help but to fall in love with the low country swamps and timber lands of South Carolina.  Sadly, Andrew drowned at Hilton Head in August of 2017 in a rip tide current.  Hunting at Wild Things for now continues but its distant future is uncertain. Hopefully Wild Things hunting will continue with Andrew’s strong and supportive family.

Andrew’s death prompted me to investigate other opportunities for feral hog hunting in SC.  I am an avid supporter of public lands and began to investigate the hunting of feral hogs on SC’s vast Wildlife Management Areas.  I learned that while the hunting of feral hog (and coyote) are allowed on WMAs during SC’s small game season, I was truly disappointed to learn that the use of broadheads during this season was not allowed.  Only small game heads can be used. To quote the regulation, “Small game hunters using archery equipment must use small game tips on the arrows (judo points, bludgeon points, etc.).” I find this puzzling.  I also find that if SCDNR wants hunters to use “judo points, bludgeon points, etc.” the expectation is quite unethical.  A quick and humane kill is the goal of all ethical bowhunters. A sharp well placed broadhead is how this is achieved.

I realize that the primary purpose of this stipulation in the law may be to deter poachers from shooting deer, but, if the allowance of the use of a .22 long rifle cartridge or .22 magnum rimfire cartridge is legal during small game season, would not a person prone to poaching use this weapon (rifle or pistol) to poach as well?  I believe this particular restriction within the law greatly reduces the number of bowhunters that may otherwise come to SC to hunt feral hogs. Bowhunters equate to license sales, gasoline purchases, food purchases, motel stays, and so on.

My purpose of writing this letter is to prompt discussion among your group. I trust you have received this with an open mind and with the willingness to ask questions to each other and to hunters, particularly bowhunters, in your own state.  I know many out of state bowhunters would love to see this law changed so that we may cross your borders, enjoy the beautiful landscape of South Carolina, and help eradicate, hopefully, an invasive species of animal. Our revenue awaits this change. Allowing broadheads for hogs during small game season will open the door for more hunters to SC and promote an inviting atmosphere to us legal and ethical bowhunters.

Most respectfully,
Charles T. Blaylock, Jr.
Asheboro, NC

If any of you are so inclined to write-

[email protected], [email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
If hunting specifically for hogs on GA WMA's I would bypass the northern areas and concentrate on areas in the lower piedmont and coastal plain like Tuckahoe, Beaverdam and Oaky Woods.
 My #1 pick would be Ft Stewart by a long shot, there are a few hoops to jump through as far as getting a permit but well worth it.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
This has been a great educational thread. Thanks bud for taking the time to advocate on behalf of bow hunters. Seems stupid that guys can go plink 22 at hogs but we can't shoot a broadhead. I'm really looking at Georgia now. Most of the south central wmas are about 4 hours for me.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by David McLendon:
Tuckahoe WMA was my favorite WMA for hogs, about 17-18 miles on the Savannah River and some land along Brier Creek. We used to take a lot of hogs there, where the hogs are is usually where the gators are as well. Snake chaps aren't a bad thing to have and when it storms, water comes up high and fast around Brier Creek.
Tuckahoe is straight across the river from Wild Things

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
Yes. Directly across.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »
So for GA, the annual $75 WMA license is no longer required?  I second Ft Stewart as a great hog hunt destination, even now that you have to qualify to bowhunt.  Lots of hogs and they even have a campground with showers that is pretty cheap.

I lived in SC twice and saw that bowhunters are not well regarded there, as evidenced by their public land regs. GA is much more bowhunter friendly and so now I drive right thru SC to get to a state that has much better bowhunting opportunities and a lower cost.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
After doing a little online reading, it looks as though as of last year that Ft Stewart may have done away with archery qualification.
 I had to shoot at least 2 out of 3 at 20 & 30 yards in a 9 inch target last time I hunted there, it was a pie plate test and was not a big deal.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
Yes good job on the letter Bud, couldn't have said it any better. Mississippi thinks rubber blunts are the go to pig head obviously.   :dunno:

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
Hey Bud.  This is something that I’ve been p'd off about for quite some time!!!  I have done the same as you and wrote letters and made phone call, the response I've got has been less then supportive! Multiple DNR represnetives have stated that the rules aren't written to benefit bowhunters. It was written that the hunter chasing squirrels and rabbits who comes across a pig can “lawfully” kill that animal, and it’s up the individual hunter to decide what is “humane”…. Also, I can’t for the life of me understand why “they” are trapping hogs on public land and not letting the HUNTER control the population with less restrictions and more opportunities for a HUNTER.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »
We need to bomb them with emails and maybe there will be a change.

Still no acknowledgement of my email.

Phone calls are next.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:00 AM »
I'd be surprised if you hear anything back.
but the chase."

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »
"Also, I can’t for the life of me understand why “they” are trapping hogs on public land and not letting the HUNTER control the population."

Hogs cannot be controlled by legal, daylight hunting methods, that's why.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
I should have stated "with out" dogs.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
If I have read the SC regs correctly, "drives" are illegal also.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Liquid Amber:
"Also, I can’t for the life of me understand why “they” are trapping hogs on public land and not letting the HUNTER control the population."

Hogs cannot be controlled by legal, daylight hunting methods, that's why.
They could start by letting bowhunters use broadheads after deer season, letting gun hunters use a centerfire rifle, and never closing the season.
Also, they do have dog hunts...
but the chase."

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »
Bud - Have you got any kind of response?
but the chase."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »
None. I wrote about 16 of the state legislators. Nothing but automated replies. 1st column down. Two more columns to go.

Emailing them from here:
 https://www.scstatehouse.gov/email.php?chamber=B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©