3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does Camo Pattern matter?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Does Camo Pattern matter?
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:27:00 PM »
I am curious as to what you guys think about camo paterns.  Does the actual pattern and color of your material matter?  

The reason I ask,  I just got in some VERY WARM clothing that absolutely saved me from the cold this weekend, but I had a doe bust me that 100% picked me out without me moving any.  My cover was okay, I wasn't in super thick, but I had limbs and cover breaking up my outline, my height was plenty, etc, but she immediately picked me out.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: Does Camo Pattern matter?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »
Color and pattern matter only so much as to help break up your outline.  There is no best pattern in my opinion, only better patterns for particular environments.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »
Without getting into it too deep....
Color matters with birds more than deer.
Deer are said to see yellow, blue and white pretty darn good and into the UV spectrum..UV brighteners my well be a nono.

Breaking up your outline is most important...I'd think some Hawaiian pattern shirts could make darn good deer camo.
Then comes blending in though not far behind...IMO.

That said...if you really like the clothing maybe you should look into getting a fairly inexpensive outer "cover up" camo layer...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
Do not own any camo,earth tones and plaids work just fine for me.The very best camo is lack of movement!
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
What were you wearing. I know for sure deer pick out us guys in trees more that on the ground ! .
Dan Breen

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »
She smelled you.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »
I usually start the season out hunting in Wisconsin in September.  If it’s warm I wear blue jeans, tee shirt and shoes.  As it cools off I’ll wear a black and red wool jacket or an old army green wool shirt.  I think I killed the first doe this year wearing my son’s high school football team tee shirt.

I do use and own camouflage to hunt when it gets cold up here as it’s very warm and quiet but I’ve never noticed a difference between “types” of camouflage or no camouflage when it comes to being picked off by a deer while in a tree or on the ground.  Just my experience, but my main concern is the wind and my movement.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 04:43:00 PM »
Color and pattern matter, but background and foreground cover also matter, and movement is a big no no.  

Sometimes critters just pick you up, particularly at close range. I suspect your surrounding cover wasn't as good as you thought. Were your face and hands bare/showing?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
I think color and or darkness can matter. If you are in a tree and your camo is very dark you will stand out. On the ground to light or to dark will do the same.......you need to give it some thought  and even take a friend to look at your set up with that camo on. Black and white photos also help.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 06:30:00 PM »
this late in the season, she was probably looking for you. camo is more important late season. you really gotta hide from them.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 07:05:00 PM »
Daniel, I always thought I needed the next and the best camo that came out, but I have slowly came around 360 degrees.  I have gone back to plaids and wool.  As a youngster starting out hunting I watched as my Grandpa put on his red and black woolies to go sit for the day...(rifle season.) As I have grown and matured as a hunter, I have come to realize that as long as you blend into your surroundings you should have no trouble, but still need to keep the wind direction in mind.  I have a couple different patterns of wool from the Asbells that I like here in Michigan, and work well on my travels out of state also.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
I answered yes color and pattern both matter, but with certain reservations. This is only my opinion, but it is based on numerous things I have read over many years. Your problem may well have been "color" based on dyes with a high UV rating. Deer see further into the UV spectrum than people, and the brighteners in most clothes dyes contain UV enhancers which may make this an issue. Many of our clothes, due to these enhancers, glow in a deer's vision. Is brightness/darkness considered color or pattern? If the camo coloration strongly and "glowingly" contrasts with your surroundings, it might make you tend to stand out. I feel the pattern itself is less likely to be a problem as long as it is subdued.

In one article I read quite a long time ago, it said that military camo is specifically made with dyes that do not "glow". I believe it, because, for many years, I only used the old style military woodland camo from early season (green woods) till the leaves were completely off the trees (brown woods) with no problems.  On the other hand, most commercial dyes, including those used in civilian produced camo, contain these color enhanced dyes.
Sam

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
Carefully matched to the terrain you are hunting camo can make a big difference.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
It's not as easy as four choices.  I have killed deer at ground level within 15 yards in solid olive/sage clothing (see my avatar).  Also blaze orange.

Movement trumps clothing, and odor trumps movement AND clothing.  

If you are in a field of grass or forest-floor of fall maple leaves a dark camp pattern is working against you.  

Same in snow.

But if you are in a tree in October before the leaves change maybe snow camp was a poor choice.

I like a camo pattern with contrasts.  I figure it breaks up my outline.  And, on that subject, what is behind you can be more important that what is on you.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
most camo blends to a solid past 20 yards, then you look like a person in a single color.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by GDPolk:
Color and pattern matter only so much as to help break up your outline.  There is no best pattern in my opinion, only better patterns for particular environments.
I voted Yes, and totally agree with the above^^^^^.

No one color or pattern is perfect. You just don’t want to stand out, or be sillohetted.

Bisch

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 11:17:00 PM »
Anything open is good camo IMO. The only one I cant stand is Mossy Oak BreakUp. I see guys wearing this heading in and out of the woods and they look like they are wearing a black suit from a distance.

I wear everything from plaid wool and flannel, to solid light colored earth tones, to an ASAT Vanish 3D suit and feel pretty well concealed.

But more important than what you are wearing is whats behind you, how still you are, and where the light is coming from.

**Best "popular enough to buy it at WalMart" camo pattern ever was Realtree Hardwoods original. Came out about 2000 and didn't stick around long. Great stuff for my country.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

Movement trumps clothing, and odor trumps movement AND clothing.  

If you are in a field of grass or forest-floor of fall maple leaves a dark camp pattern is working against you.  

Same in snow.

But if you are in a tree in October before the leaves change maybe snow camp was a poor choice.

I agree with this - Stump articulates better than me!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
Depends on what animal you are going after, we all know birds (turkey) see better then most game.  But, the thing more important is where you are and how you move.  Camo does nothing if an animal winds you period.  Camo is in my opinion there for the "red zone", to blend your human form.  December is the time of year I move to the ground, as almost any animal will pick you out in a tree with no cover.  
Here in Illinois, it is mandatory to wear blaze orange during shotgun season, and a great many hunters sley deer within 50 yards.  I personally, have shot deer with a bow, at 10 yards wearing orange, and in summer wearing just a grey short sleeve shirt.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »
It can and AT TIMES it does.  I also think it is deeper than just color or design.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©