3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does Camo Pattern matter?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does Camo Pattern matter?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
I have fun matching the hatch.

Offline not on the rug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
1-control your odors and hunt the wind.  A deer's nose is their #1 defense
2-sit still.  Any movements need to be slow and deliberate
3-be quiet.  
4-wear something with will break your outline up.  Most camo patterns look great on the shelf, but from 40-50 yards away you just look like a big dark silhouette.   Patterns like ASAT and Predator do an excellent job of creating depth and breaking a silhouette.   The contrast of lights and darks make an animal (or person) look "through" you because they aren't picking up an outline anywhere.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »
I only buy "camo" clothing if its a really good quality garment, not for the camo but for the quality of the clothing. I much prefer plaids and wool. I think plaids and wool will blend in to most terrain and "camo" you better than 99.999% of the commercialized camo out there in stores.
Mark 1:17

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »
I will admit, I didn't read the posts so, again, I am probably being redundant.

Color and pattern don't really matter for deer, they are color blind the smart people tell us. Pattern, as was mentioned in one of the two posts I actually read, is just to break up the outline.

I can't really say for any other critters except for hogs. With them you mostly just have to beat the nose.
Skeater who?

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 12:40:00 PM »
My opinion is that most modern camo patterns are all hype. Camo patterns such as ASAT or Predator Camo that actually does what it says it’ll do are pretty good. If you’ve ever seen some of these newer camo patterns under a black light, you would be amazed. The thread shines like a beckon! UV brighteners I guess. Good ole wool plaid and drab colors always hold true, wool itself actually absorbes light, so it is non reflective.
Try to hunt the wind, be as scent free as you can, set still as possible and wear some good plaid/drab wool and your good to go!

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 01:43:00 PM »
EXACTLY what DarrinG said above! Exactly.....
Get bamboo.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »
I believe patter is important, but only if it is large and breaks up outlines.  The little leaf patterns are likely worthless.

Another factor though that likely does matter is what kind of material it is.  I believe a "soft" finish of a natural material is likely the best.  For example the Asbel wool.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »
If you looked liked a dark blob in a tree this time of year, no foliage, deer will pick you off easily. Background cover and colors that break you up, light and dark, is best imo.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 06:53:00 PM »
Odor, movement and n’shine’.  Yep, some cammo looks black, and that stands out.   No matter what you wear that glowing face of yours spooks more game than you can imagine.  I know from my time in the military, a face just seemed out of place, in closer ranges.  Movement at a distance especially out west is a game buster

Break out the popcorn and respectfully speak of HECS SUITS
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
I don't think camo is nearly as important as wind or movement. Having said that if you pick a pattern like ASAT or Predator that doesn't blob at a distance I think it is worth using.
SWA Spyder

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »
And has anyone mentioned the Ghillie suit?  Hands down the best camo you could not be seen in.

And why is it so effective, is it color, pattern, or surface?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:00 AM »
I'm going to say that camo *can* make a huge difference. Especially ASAT or Predator. I picked up an ASAT leafy suit and have had so many deer look through me as though I wasn't there at all.

I've had deer bust me in similar situations when I was wearing neutral colors that must have had some shine in the UV spectrum. I couldn't tell anything wrong, but the deer did NOT like the look at all. Lack of movement with plain old wool will do a good job because the wool doesn't shine, it just blends in.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »
I believe that camo can be a state of mind.  If you believe your invisible you will act invisible.
I'm loving the First Lite fusion camo for the area we hunt in Alaska.  It's a perfect match to the colors and patterns in the tundra and spruce.

I have a heck of time picking out John or Jason when they are setup 50 yds from me when I call.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
People have better eye sight than deer.  Deer just pay better attention.

My step dad, who was the first to take me hunting, used to send me into brushy gullies to try to spook out deer (for him to shoot, not me).  Inevitably, after coming through to the other side, he'd be hiding somewhere & usually in plain sight.  I still had a heck of a time finding him.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »
Look at the top right corner of this page.  Cade is wearing cammo, but his face shines like a diamond in a coal bin.  Hide your face.  Peep out at your bird feeder and watch the birds, then expose your face-the birds that are visitors, not your resident birds- will scatter.
No offense Cade, your picture just made my point.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 01:52:00 PM »
I agree with Charlie Lambs cannot choice. Best cammo out there.  

I also think cammo is more important to the hunter than the deer.

This time of year deer have been educated and are exceptionally wary. Any mistake on your end whether known or not to you is likely to end with a live deer.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »
Camoflage patterns are only useful to break up your outline. The idea is not to be associated with something looking like a human silhouette. Stick and Limbs (Made in USA since 1985), Predator and ASAT.
The early Predator line Spring green, Fall Gray and fall brown is essentially stick and limbs in different colors. The predator stuff has evolved and follows closer the hype of new patterns, while ASAT and Stick and Limbs remain unchanged. I now either buy Stick and limbs (Made in USA) or ASAT (as long it is made in the USA). I think Stick and Limbs is the older pattern and there is no reason to change it since it does do what it was designed for. And you can buy the fabric to sew your own stuff if you want.

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
I used to have GREAT luck with the original Predator stuff that was made out of COTTON.  This new crap that is synthetic/nylon/rayon or whatever, I do not like at all.  No matter what you do to it with anti UV products, the deer still seem to spot it easier than the old cotton stuff.

I have since migrated to almost all WOOL.  It seems to work better for me and I like the warm, live feel of it.  To each their own I suppose....

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »
Thank you for all the responses.  I wasn't necessarily asking for a specific brand or the "latest and greatest", mainly just asking from a stand point of does camo matter.  When I say camo, I'm meaning the concept of camo.  Does blending into your environment really matter?  No matter what the color may be, does it matter if you blend into your environment?  I believe this is what happened to me on this hunt.  The particular camo pattern was 'zonz' from Cabelas.  It is designd for western hunting (from the write up about it).  I bought them use so I can't complain about the camo pattern.  

My friend who I was hunting with said the particular pattern sticks out like a sore thumb.  

I love the clothing.  I'm wondering If I could send it somewhere to get some more dark and light transitions added in.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »
Does blending into your environment really matter?
I think it can be helpful, especially with wary game. Can n ot see it hurting.

Had a thought, could the camo you used have been washed in commercial laundry soap, ie. uv brighteners?
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©