3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Roger Rothhaar  (Read 5866 times)

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roger Rothhaar
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:00 PM »
I guess its been close to twenty years since I first read his books. I still have the notes I took from the first book. I ordered the first book over the phone from him, and was surprised how willing he was to talk whitetails and give advice to a complete stranger!  He was very, very nice to me. He is most definitely on the Mount Rushmore of Great Whitetail Bowhunters.
My deepest condolences to Ryan and his family.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
Sad day for sure.  I will cherish Rogers’ books forever and always remember our phone conversation about deer hunting.  He talked to me like a good friend, I just wish I could have met him in person.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2018, 10:28:00 PM »
Condolences and prayers for the family. Such a sad loss.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of the sad news, my condolence to the family   :pray:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2018, 10:41:00 PM »
I missed this thread being busy with work. Saddened by the news! I got the privilege of meeting Roger at our local Waltonian Archers Club Toddville, Iowa during the early 80s. I was glued to his Whitetail presentation during the Rendezvous and he demonstrated the sharpness/cut-on-contact benefits of the original Snuffers through deer skin leather and rubber band loom testers... He was and is a Legend that I got to learn from for which I am grateful! My buddy and I both bought a package of broadheads that night. Sure wish I had them still today...

My condolences to Ryan and family, along with my prayers that God might see you through this difficult time.  :pray:

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2018, 10:53:00 PM »
It saddens me to hear this as R.R. was one of my heroes. I have read his books, and I called a spoke with him a few years ago, he was very nice and told me hunting stories and tips for probably an hour. He later sent me a picture of him with one of his big bucks, the picture had the story hand written on the back. He was truly a gentlemen, and he will be greatly missed. Prayers for Ryan and the family.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2018, 10:59:00 PM »
I truly hope the younger guys just getting into this stuff  understand the community that is available to them in the traditional bowhunting world. As a young man I pestered Roger via phone for hours trying to glean bowhunting knowledge and he was more than accommodating. Two of the other guys I was always bugging have already commented on this thread. It’s not even necessarily about bowhunting success. It’s about how to live a good life in a world where it seems to be increasingly more difficult to do so. Ryan....if you and your family read this....my condolences. Know that your father has left a major impression on many of us and has given us a blueprint to be followed as bowhunters.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2018, 12:48:00 AM »
May you rest in peace, Roger.
I still have your book, and intend to pass it on to my grandson.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2018, 02:27:00 AM »
Sad loss for bow hunting but greater loss to his family and friends.  My condolences to you all.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2018, 04:57:00 AM »
Condolences to the family !

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2018, 05:10:00 AM »
RIP Roger, you will be missed.    I had the privilege of living down the road from Roger for many years.    He hated poachers more than anything.    One night I was driving by his house slowly to see if he was in his chair, nothing, so I kept driving to the house.   Next thing I know, here comes a truck barreling down on me.   I pull over and here comes Roger, "oh, its only you".   Yeah Roger, who'd you think it is.  "These damn poachers ride by my house, I thought you were one of them".   A few weeks later,  I come down the road at dark, pass Roger's house and make it around a turn, when all of a sudden here comes a set of headlights on my tail.   I pull over  and it's Roger. He said,  "dammit, its you again".   Yeah Roger I live on this road.   He started laughing.   He said, "do me a favor, if you drive by my house at night, honk the horn so I know its you".   I said no problem.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »
Roger will be missed. I have his books and had the opportunity to meet him a couple times. I remember as a young man following his every story. I hope the young guys can understand what a gifted hunter and shot he was and what he meant in a world that didn't have social media to learn about hunting big bucks.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2018, 07:09:00 AM »
I have always enjoyed Roger's contributions to this world.

RIP, Prayers sent to family and loved ones.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »
Rest In Peace Roger
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2018, 07:30:00 AM »
RIP.    :pray:     :pray:    :pray:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »
Thoughts and prayers to the Rothhaar family, and friends!!
Great guy - open & honest. I bought his books from him, they weren't just signed, they were inscribed (very personal) and he included photos with individual stories written on the backs of them. They are treasured items.
Lastly, I've always enjoyed shooting his Snuffers-still my favorite broadhead!
Rest in peace Roger!
Randy

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2018, 09:21:00 AM »
Prayers sent

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
A Roger story I'd like to share.

The first Great Lakes Longbow Invitational was in 1985. After a couple of years It drew large crowds of longbow shooters from across the country. Roger showed up at the shoot one year and we told him he had to shoot a longbow and wood arrows on the coarse. He put his recurve and aluminum arrows in his truck and borrowed a longbow and some wood arrows and shot around the coarse.

Afterwards I ask him how he liked shooting a longbow and wood arrows, his answer was,   "It was better than getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick"    :biglaugh:    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
Back in the '80s Roger did a seminar in Terre Haute, IN. After the seminar I had the good fortune of having dinner with Roger and Gabe Shafner. Gabe, who was a fantastic whitetail hunter in his own right was so excited to meet with Roger and share tales and tactics. After the dinner Roger told me how excited he was to meet Gabe! Two of the best whitetail hunters in the world, asking each other questions and swapping hunting stories...great times!

One year at Cloverdale, Roger stopped by our camp. We invited him to try some of the summer sausage we were having and he really enjoyed it. As he got up to leave he winked at me and told me that the sausage might be going bad, but he would be happy to get rid of it for me! He left with a smile and half a role of sausage! ;<)

Roger's passing is a great loss to the whitetail hunting world, but nothing compared to the loss that Ryan and family is experiencing. Prayers to all the friends and family and a thank you to Roger for always being willing to share your knowledge with anyone that asked. Rest in Peace.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©