3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: At last.....  (Read 369 times)

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
At last.....
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:55:00 AM »
Had some surgery on my bow sholder quite a while ago (not bow related) and wasn't allowed to do much at all, Dr's orders. No work, no driving, basically nothing for 8 weeks.

Never did understand "Cabin Fever", but think I do now.

Anyway, once Phyiso started, for weeks I faithfully followed Doctors and Phyiso's instructions and exercises, and got some good muscle support back into my shoulder.

Later, when the Phyiso said it was time to pick up a bow, I was really pleased.

I slowly starting shooting with my youngest sons 35# longbow, and boy-oh-boy, after months of not shooting at all, 35# seemed really hard. Well I started with just a few shots at a time, and then slowly increased the number of arrows. I would stop shooting when I couldn't keep a good shot together though. I slowly built it up till I could comfortably shoot 30 good shots in a session.

Moved up to my oldest sons 45# longbow and worked on the same regime. Took out my 55# Blackwidow longbow and worked on it till I could shoot 30 good controlled arrows. Got a lend of a mates 65# recurve and did it all again.

Well, after lots of exercise, Phyiso, and careful bow work, this evening I finally had a few shots with my Blackwidow 75# longbow. This is my favorite bow, and it was sure good to be able to shoot it again. Good strength and control, but I stopped after 6 or 7 shots, ran out of puff. So now I have to work on building back up my bow stamina. Same as with the other lighter weight bows though, slowly slowly.

It's taken a long time, but it's actually been really good, hard work but good. Sort of like starting over again, but with lots of knowledge and experience if that makes sense. I've built a better shot sequence, and even seemed to have dialed in better, more consistant form. I can easily let down if it doesn't feel right and my back tension, alignment and follow through is much better than pre surgery.

Time to go stump shooting with my favorite bow.

Best

Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: At last.....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:59:00 AM »
Congrats on not giving up the bow as that would have been the easy road-have fun and continued good health.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 06:13:00 AM »
Been there with the shoulder surgery, rotor cuff was completely torn off. Was 3 months before I could shoot.

But shoulder is like new now.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:06:00 AM »
Great news!
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
Congrats on your recovery.  Just a question...Do you need 75# for Buff or just because you like that weight.  Seems you could drop a considerable amount of weight and hunt just about anything else.  I'm not criticizing but just thinking about your shoulder for the future.  Best of luck Sir.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
It is good to hear that you are doing better and especially good to hear how intelligently you approached the rehab process. Congratulations!
Sam

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
Thanks for your positive comments gentlemen,

Post was to really encourage those recovering from injury/surgery to go slow but keep at it, listen to your Doctor/Phyiso, and don't give up.

Doug, thanks for your thoughts, but yes to both. I need my heavy bow for Buffalo & Camel etc, plus I just really like shooting this bow. I consistently shoot this particular bow the best of any bow I've ever shot.

One day no doubt I'll have to drop in draw weight, and that will be ok when the time comes too, because I'll be too old to chase the big stuff then anyway
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©