3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling all Javaman and Shrew shooters!  (Read 1588 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Calling all Javaman and Shrew shooters!
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
Guys l have a 56" Javaman Helmsdeep. Very similar to the Shrew lil fav. I picked it up a few years ago. Ive put 3 strings on it and none are as quiet as the original. I think the original was d10 or dd97. Ive tried 6 and 8 strand d10 and a fury string. The fury and 6 strand were really loud. The 8 strand not bad. Just curious as to what you guys have found to be the quietest strings for these little bows?

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling all Javaman and Shrew shooters!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »
Give Gregg a shout.  Surely he will know!!
[email protected]

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »
X2
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 03:46:00 PM »
I did talk to Greg I was just curious what you guys have found

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »
I guess there may not be a one size fits all, because I put an 8 strand SBD string on my Helms Deep, which is D10, and it was considerably quieter than the stock string.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 04:47:00 PM »
Well thanks that's really helpful that's why I was asking. I don't know for sure if it was a stuck string I just thought so. And also has kind of large different silencers on it. It ended up being a bit quieter then my 8 strand SBD. But like I said there's lots of variables it could have been the silencers. That's kind of why I'm asking. If you guys have found D10 is the way to go then that's where I'll head. The one it came with seemed a little bigger than my 8 strand SBD. Maybe I'll count it up tonight maybe it was a 10 strand d-10. Do people do that? I didn't notice a big performance jump between the fury, six strand or 8 strand d-10 or the stock one. I'm sure it would show on the chronograph, just saying that it wasn't that big of a deal and I would rather have a a quieter bow. This six strand SBD and especially the fury had more of a high-pitch ping but maybe that's just the nature of the Beast. Again I'm totally up for suggestions.

On a side note does anyone know how d-10 compared to D 97?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:02:00 PM »
I'm not sure what Gregg's using now but the strings we made for the Shrews were 6 strands 450+ with 2 strands B-50 Dacron blended in.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
I recently got an SBD skinny string (8 strand)for my L'il Fave and it quieted down beautifully with a couple of wool puffs. Also have moleskin where the string touches the limbs.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks guys

Online awry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
Silencer placement can make a difference. I followed instructions in thread below for my elkheart and it did help

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=140893

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
The magic formula is 15 strands 452X / 3 bundles, loops padded to 21.  But don't take my word for it, try it!
(452X  is thin so 15 strands is still a fairly skinny string and requires .030 halo for wood shaft nocks), ,026 for carbon.
Honestly if someone makes one up to those specs and uses woolie whispers let me know if it is the quietest string you have used.
Tedd

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 12:28:00 AM »
I'm currently shooting a Mercury string with wool silencers on my Helms Deep and it's as quiet as you could ever want a recurve.  7 1/4" BH 10gpp.  There is a point of diminishing returns with skinny strings.  Too skinny and you'll raise the tone of the string and it will "seem" louder.  Also, silencer material and placement matter, as well as arrow weight.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 03:13:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Is mercury a string or a maker?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 04:14:00 AM »
Mercury is BCYs latest material.  I like it and also X as well as Brownells Fury.  All great materials.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline widowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »
I have found 450+ as a cure all. have it on several curves and long bows and it fixes everything. love it bought several rolls from chad and use it exclusively.  try it you"ll be surprised.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
Ron LaClair's 450+ and Dacron blend have always been my favorite strings! Just right on string diameter, and very quiet and smooth shooting!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©