3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One Bow?  (Read 880 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
One Bow?
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »
Sometimes it seems the popular opinion is that of "the archer with one bow knows how to use it".   I don't believe that.  I am interested in finding out what Tradgang thinks on the matter.  

It is my belief that accurate, or lack of, shooting is rooted in the archers technique and aquired habits, regardless of how many bows they shoot.  

So, Tradgang, what do you have to say on the matter?
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: One Bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »
Accuracy is the result of consistency and proper tuning of your equipment with all shooting sports, archery included. As traditional archers we have fewer crutches than many other types of shooter and therefore have to be more consistent with less input from our equipment than other shooters and the shooter is always going to the the biggest source of error in our sport. That said, it's easier for us to learn and master one bow than many so I do feel most of us would benefit from being a one bow shooter.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
I agree, although I can switch between most of my bows and shoot pretty well, it takes time to train my brain to which style I'm using. Recurve, high wrist, longbow, low wrist, etc.  
 If I stick to one bow only , I get in that groove much faster. I don't have to think about the mechanics cuz it's the same Everytime.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:52:00 PM »
I switch between my 4 hunting recurves pretty frequently, but they all are within a few lbs or each other and have a similar grip and are all tuned to the same arrow. I'll shoot whatever I;m hunting with exclusively for a few days before hunting.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
I believe that the accuracy is in the archer. I know a bunch of guys with multiple bows who are fine shots. Granted, it may take a few shots to readjust to a bow that hasn't been shot in a while, but once that adjustment is made, nocks begin to break again. There may be individual bows that an archer just doesn't shoot well, but I don't think it proves that having only one bow makes a person a better archer.

I think a lot of those "one bow only" guys would still shoot just as well if they owned and used additional bows.
Sam

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »
I think in the end, it comes down to economics, and that most people would have more than one bow if traditional archery is their main avocation and if they could afford it.  Because of that, I would feel guilty advocating that a person have more than one bow, since I am blessed with adequate retirement income and can afford it, while many others who may be more deserving are not.  You can have plenty of fun and hunt with only one bow, if it is a reasonably good bow that is reasonably well matched to your strength and drawlength.  The nice thing about trad archery is that you can hunt elk, squirrels, pheasant, and fish, and also compete with the same bow, which would be difficult or impossible to do with one gun.

Having more than one bow affords you the opportunity to compare bows, and have a bow that is a little more specialized for each of the activities I mention above, or maybe to find that one perfect bow that suits you better than any other.  However, from experience, I would also say that finding that one perfect bow is like searching for the Holy Grail, or that one perfect woman.  Maybe it would be better to change yourself to better fit the one you already have.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
1 Wife yes   :readit:   , 1 Bow Never    :banghead:   life is to short! How I  keep things reasonable is having most of my bows very close in draw weight at my draw length, thus I can use the same arrows for several bows with only minor changes such as point weight.  But as hunting season nears I pick the bow I have been  shooting   :archer:   Dyes this year it was my Silvertip
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »
"Bldtrailer" above is a man after my own heart. Could not have said it better myself.   :campfire:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »
With all the above having been said, it still makes perfect sense that using one bow could lend itself to getting more used to its needs and becoming better at using it.   Why not ?    But many of us want to own more than one bow...and again, why not ?   Just make it a point to get good enough to do what you need to.  If you cannot shoot well at 50 yards....don't.   Many here shoot deer every year at less than ten yards.  Most can get accurate enough at ten to get er done.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 05:20:00 PM »
For me, the only real difference is in trajectory. To that end, I tune all my bows/arrows to the same point-on. From 30# target recurve to 55# hunting longbow, very little if any adjustment.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »
I own a few different bows but I seem to shoot my northern mist whisper more than the others. When I do shoot the others I have a hard time shooting the whisper the first few shots. So with that being said anyone person never has too many tho

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »
I don't know a champion in anything that has only one of the tools of his/her trade.  Tennis players have multiple rackets, baseball players multiple bats, top trap and skeet shooters more than one gun, etc.  

At the least, one would want a back-up. And, those really looking to up their game are always experimenting with the latest version out there.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
I have many bows.  Each year I pick one after deer season closes and that is the bow I will shoot until the process repeats a year later.

For me, I do better shooting one bow and not alternating between many.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
Poll results are correct
SWA Spyder

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
I can shoot any bow fair after a few shots. If I want to shoot great I will stick with one for awhile.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
I have bows between 35# and 65# and if I just grab one and shoot my "elevation" will likely be off.  

I shoot a fairly heavy arrow (600 to 620 gr) and I have to burn the trajectory in the back of my brain.  So shooting one bow regularly does that for me.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »
I'll lean toward the "accuracy is in the shooter" end of the spectrum.  But only within reasonable limits.  Some bows can't be shot nearly as long as others.  And I think that shooting different styles helps improve overall technique, just like cross training improves an athlete.  But, focusing on too many things (in effect, lacking focus) is never going to result in expertise.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 01:50:00 PM »
Theoretically, one bow, one gun and one knife is all I need.

Right   :rolleyes:
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
I have one riser and different poundage limbs.
I have to shoot different spine arrows for each and have them set up so that the gpp on each is almost the same resulting in little speed difference.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
I'm a firm believer in who ever dies with the most toys, wins! That being said:

I like to shoot the same bow all year... Then, after hunting season ends, choose another off my rack and stick with it... Feels like a new bow and I didn't have to buy it...   :rolleyes:  aka "Happy Wife, Happy Life."

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©